April Q and A thread

Options
12346»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    As weight was lost, your TDEE would have lowered to match the new eating level the lack of donuts caused. Even that 9lbs year is wrong as the deficit would have become smaller.

Not sure how many calories is being taken for the donuts being gone, but eventually you'd be eating at maintenance, possibly before reaching the 50 or 20 lb mark.

Bingo. Keep in mind that the body is adaptable and with extended dieting, will reduce TDEE in other ways to adapt for reduced intake. Using your number of 3/4lbs a month, that means your weekly deficit is only ~650 calories. That's less than 100 calories a day! Keep in mind since you're eating less, you could easily make up that extra 100 calories a day on something else since your hunger will increase due to eating less. That 100 calories a day will disappear through extra intake, less activity/NEAT, metabolism lowering naturally as you lose weight, etc.. Probably pretty quickly I'd say. You might lose a few pounds initially but then I bet you'd even out.

Just my guess.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And after the above - you'd ask why did I give up the donuts - just not worth it.

And they'd deliciously come back. (as long as you don't attempt making up for lost time with them.) ;-)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    After going through physical therapy last year, my previous trouble spots (knees and sometimes back) are doing a lot better. However, more recently it seems like my hip flexors are my trouble spot, when running and also since re-starting YAYOG. (They seem to get especially sore/painful or strained like they're being overtaxed when the rest of me feels fine.) Suggestions?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this...

Prior years I've workout at home, but never consistent, life has a way of doing that. In January I joined a local gym to workout in the mornings, its been great, more consistent. The free weight section is limited, but has the basics. In February I started running 5/3/1 which I've enjoyed. There is only 1 squat rack, and 3 out of the 5 days it's being used, people do not share at this gym. I've had a difficult time running this program due to the limited use of the squat rack. I'm now finishing a cycle, and considering another program. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread for this...

Prior years I've workout at home, but never consistent, life has a way of doing that. In January I joined a local gym to workout in the mornings, its been great, more consistent. The free weight section is limited, but has the basics. In February I started running 5/3/1 which I've enjoyed. There is only 1 squat rack, and 3 out of the 5 days it's being used, people do not share at this gym. I've had a difficult time running this program due to the limited use of the squat rack. I'm now finishing a cycle, and considering another program. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What are your goals?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Right now I'm basically doing a slow recomp... I'm at a good weight, 132/134, trying to gain some muscle mass.

I was considering switching to a full body for when the squat rack is available.