Travel/Special Occasion strategies

Options
2»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I usually try to find places that offer breakfast all day (Denny's, IHOP, etc), since I can always eat an omelette and stay on plan

You probably already know this, but for others reading, IHOP at least puts pancake batter in their omelettes.

I'm not 100%, but I think Denny's does as well.

BTW, Denny's doesn't in Canada; as for IHOP here, not sure but if you ask if it's gluten free you'll soon find out ;)
    Because of Celiac disease, I'm very used to not being able to eat most things on offer at 'special occasions.' Once you practice it, it's not so very hard, especially if you remember how crappy higher carb/junk foods make you feel. Other than that, stick with idea #2 if necessary and only choose a treat if it's really worth it to you (not just because it's there and you haven't had 'x' for a while). If you are comfortable with fasting - that's easy thru airports and flights - just keep your water and electrolytes up. Have fun!! Dance yer *kitten* off! lol
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always ask for gluten-free, but thanks for pointing that out, it's such a habit for me I didn't even think to mention it! I pretty much start every waitstaff conversation with - what do you have that's gluten free - and they are usually amazing about accommodating requests.

I used to be able to get gluten-free latkes at Perkins that were just potato and egg and sour cream and such, but the last time I was there they clearly had pancake batter in them even though I specified gluten-free...it didn't taste great, but it didn't make me sick, so maybe they have GF pancake batter now, but they were way better in flavor when they just made them for me without any batter in the first place.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Glad it all worked out.

Along these lines, this week my local Costco had boxes of 1.5 oz mixed nut packages. No peanuts, I can't eat those and be out in public. They are perfect for airplane/train/car traveling or just keep a package in your purse along with your purse salt.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I can’t eat at IHOP since I found an entire roach cooked into my pancake.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    The above 'woo' was actually more like EWWW! but I needed to click something there :s
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I can’t eat at IHOP since I found an entire roach cooked into my pancake.

Did you want it raw? Hmmm..... :s
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    So here's the funny rest of the story. I was there doing a secret shop. At the time I did tons of shops and they were old hat to me, but when I saw the roach I lost my composure, jumped up and exclaimed something that I don't remember. The server whisked the plate away and then the manager visited. He offered to make another one for me. Um, no thank you.

I couldn't even fill out the report since I had no receipt, but I called the secret shopping company and told them what happened and they recorded it all.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    ^^^ LOL!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    So here's the funny rest of the story. I was there doing a secret shop. At the time I did tons of shops and they were old hat to me, but when I saw the roach I lost my composure, jumped up and exclaimed something that I don't remember. The server whisked the plate away and then the manager visited. He offered to make another one for me. Um, no thank you.

I couldn't even fill out the report since I had no receipt, but I called the secret shopping company and told them what happened and they recorded it all.

So no photos? Darn....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ....So no photos? Darn....

...Talking of which, 2 snippets.
    Snippet #1:
    Drove 166 miles to go babysit for my daughter (yes, I would go to the ends of the earth for her. What are Mums for?) and my mother came along for the ride and company.
    Stopped half way at a MaccaDee, and lo and behold, they had these massive consoles from where you can choose, customise order and pay for your entire meal.
    To my surprise, I could go no-bread style, so I chose a Big Mac with no sesame seed bun - and it arrived, all portions present and correct, beautifully laid out, in a breakfast dish.
    My mother had a cheeseburger and large fries, of which I had 3.

Sadly, I have no photo, because at the time, I had no phone.

Snippet #2: I now have a phone.
    The weekend was wonderful, eventful and my daughter is endlessly amazing and infinitely generous. She bought me the 'phone.

• canadjineh
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle we can customize here with guacamole and jalapenos - really yummy on either a bunless burger or grilled chicken breast. My hubby's fave when we find ourselves there.