Pre-Op Diet

Options
VSG is in a week!!! Im excited and looking forward to the journey.

Im doing liquids right now, but I am wondering...what were your diets like during liquids? How many calories did you consume? I was not given a number to stay at, but I have lost 8lbs since Wednesday when I started liquids. I'm finding the broth is making me retain water like crazy.

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First off congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I didn't really eat any broth during the pre-op diet. I stuck to protein shakes though my surgeon also allowed small salads during pre-op which I also did. Am sure the water retention is due to the sodium in the broth - have you tried a reduced sodium version?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, broth and sugar free popsicles! Those popsicles saved my sanity during the two week liquid diet. In the long run, though, it all becomes a blur and is not even a blip in my memory any more. Stay strong and power through it. A successful liquid diet makes the surgery go easier for the surgeon, and an easy surgery is the best plan!
  • danette_moos
    danette_moos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for approval for surgery and my final consultation with my surgeon, then it'll be on to the 2 week liquid diet! So excited!!
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @danette_moos I'm right behind you. I should be submitted to insurance in less than two weeks.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wasn't given a calorie amount during the 2-week liquid diet. I just had to stick with anything that did not require chewing. I believe I was allowed one sugar-free yogurt daily.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am the only one who didn't have to go on a liquid diet, my doctor didn't instruct me to do that!
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I feel like I am the only one who didn't have to go on a liquid diet, my doctor didn't instruct me to do that!

Correct me if I'm wrong please..lol The liquid pre op diet was to shrink the liver to help with bariatric surgery. I'm too far out from surgery to remember. lol

I also didn't have to do the pre op liquid diet. He said my liver was small enough.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong please..lol The liquid pre op diet was to shrink the liver to help with bariatric surgery. I'm too far out from surgery to remember. lol

I also didn't have to do the pre op liquid diet. He said my liver was small enough.

I think the pre-op diet was to shrink the liver, but maybe my liver was small enough because I lost a fair amount of weight pre-surgery?
  • starah27
    starah27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for surgery on 10/4/17 & am currently doing the pre-op diet. Can have 4 protein shakes, broth,sugar free jello & sugar free popsicles. Hungry but know I can get through this.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I didn’t have to either. I just had to stick to a low calorie diet, healthy diet.

My nutritionist said that the liver can hold up to 20 pounds of fat, so that’s why so many surgeons will recommend a liquid diet- to try to shrink that fatty liver as much as possible to give plenty of room to work with during the operation.

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one either. Just had to lose 10 pounds in 2 months however I wanted
  • Time4Nana
    Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My first appointment with the surgeon was July 21 and he has had me follow a bariatric diet from the beginning. He said that way I would learn how I would be eating after gastric bypass. So far I have lost 34 pounds and my surgery is scheduled for Oct 26.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the more you can learn and the more you lose before surgery really helps for after surgery.