How soon should you start working out?

Options
MZ_GAR715
MZ_GAR715 Posts: 2 Member
I’m 3 weeks post op (VSG), at 2 weeks my surgeon said I can start working out but not lift more than 20 pounds. I saw a personal trainer and he said he doesn’t think it’s a good idea because I’m still adjusting and it’s too soon. He said that right now I would be burning more than I’m consuming. Also I’m having a hard time keeping food down (soft food stage).

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Call your Drs office and get clarification of what types of exercise is allowed. Your trainer is most likely not educated on bariatrics.

The hospital started me walking the day after surgery. It helps in the healing process. I started walking a full hour week two.

Some low impact workout options

Walking
    elliptical
    stationary bike
    resistance bands
    Chair HIIT Cardio
    5 pound weights
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It took me about 5-6 weeks before I was ok doing more than walking. Anything more than that left me completely wiped out. After about 5-6 weeks, I started lifting again and added in my exercise bike.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    fit_chickx wrote: »

Call your Drs office and get clarification of what types of exercise is allowed. Your trainer is most likely not educated on bariatrics.

This.

• loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was only allowed walking until my 3rd month check up. Honestly, I don't know if I had the strength to do more than walk until then.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was cleared at my 3 week post-op appointment to start exercising again. I didn’t do anything too strenuous for awhile though. Elliptical machine and water aerobics were my go to things after clearance.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree to speak to your doctor but mine wouldn't let me work out for 7 weeks after surgery with the exception of walking. You definitely don't want to do anything sooner than you should.