Why is milk higher in carbs than most other dairy?

I'm finding it hard to know which dairy items I can simply pick up and eat without having to check the carb contents. Please can someone tell me which bit of milk it is that contains the carbs and if there is a rule-of-thumb I can use to know which dairy products are low in carbs?

Milk isn't too low in carbs (so I tend to use almond milk instead) and neither is cottage cheese. So I thought it might be due to how "liquidy" the dairy product was. But then cream is virtually carb free!

I don't mind checking carb content on the packaging but it would be more convenient if I understood the food science as to why certain dairy products are low carb and others aren't! I am talking specifically about natural, unflavoured dairy products, not flavoured ones, or ones with additions.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    If you mix milk and renin, you can make cheese.

*rennet

• lolliopopsnrainbows
    lolliopopsnrainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Thank you so much @Cheesy567 for taking the time to write that out. That's incredibly helpful! I might have a chance of cutting down how much time I spend comparing food labels in the supermarket now!!

Thanks to @BodyByButter for the link, it's a very useful list and includes lots of dairy products I've never even considered :smiley:
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    kirkor wrote: »
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    If you mix milk and renin, you can make cheese.

*rennet

Thanks ;)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    A dairy product you might never have thought of is dry cottage cheese. I like its dry-ish chewier texture on top of/mixed in with other foods like low carb zucchini noodles and sauce and it's quite high in protein. If you really need the creaminess you can just add a tbsp of cream to your serving and mix it well.
    22g protein and 2g carb in a half cup. Not high in fat though if you needed that portion of your macros, but if you just want to add protein and didn't want meat/egg/fish or powders, it's just the ticket.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    @canadjineh - dry cottage cheese? Never heard if it. I live in Ont. Do u know where wld it be sold? Thanks
  • canadjineh
    @Shron123 Safeway/Sobeys will definitely have it along with any other larger grocery store in your area. It's most often used for lasagna and it's in the dairy case right next to the other cottage cheeses. Lucerne makes one for sure, as does Dairyland.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member

Actually Quark is NOT the same thing as Farmer's Cheese. I have no problem finding Quark locally; however, Farmer's Cheese is a different matter entirely. Farmer's Cheese, I have been unable to locate yet at all and I'd really like to get my hands on some because I have several recipes that list it as an ingredient and I'd like to make up these recipes but cannot without Farmer's Cheese (Quark is waaaaayy to wet and liquidy to work in most of these recipes). :'(:/
  • canadjineh
    The quark I've had is more like cream cheese, dry cottage cheese is very dry and chewy. Isn't farmer's cheese like queso fresco?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member

This is what the quark I use in the UK look like, cream cheese consistency, not very liquid at all.
  • ladipoet
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The quark I've had is more like cream cheese, dry cottage cheese is very dry and chewy. Isn't farmer's cheese like queso fresco?

@canadjineh ...yes, Farmer's cheese is allegedly very like queso fresco or queso blanco cheese; however, from what I understand queso fresco and queso blanco both contain more moisture (this gleaned from personal observation while using them as farmer's cheese subs), and are hence, wetter, than farmer's cheese.
  • ladipoet
    Bonny132 wrote: »

This is what the quark I use in the UK look like, cream cheese consistency, not very liquid at all.

@Bonny132 ...appreciate the link, and according to the picture this links to, I stand by my statements above...the quark shown here is definitely way too wet (contains far too much liquid and/or moisture) to be farmer's cheese.