New Horizon's - Jim's phase 2 progress thread

jvcinv
jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
Date.....Weight.......BF%
9-10-17...175.8.......18.8
10-1-17...173.8.......17.1

I started this new thread for tracking progress going forward.
Not much change in weight since I last updated three weeks ago, but BF% has moved a bit in the right direction.
I've added to Body fat in order to perhaps see progress that may or may not be apparent simply looking at weight. I think I've decided that my weight target will be 165 and then maintain in a +/- 5 lb range.
In the past week my weight has fluctuated between 172.2 and 180.4, so I'm roughly 10 pounds away.
I will also continue to stay in shape via running and exercise as needed as this activity supports my sense of well being and confidence.

For the next month I'm going to eat every day OMAD style. Having ended the weekly water fasting will mean smaller weekly weight swings. Last week I threw caution to the wind one day and had some salami and cheese at lunch time, violating my eating window. I know I'm really letting my hair down now, that's why I'm calling this "New Horizons". :)

I am currently experimenting with the macro's in my diet.
For example right now I'm eating a diet consisting of roughly 96% animal sourced foods, so I'm fueled mainly by fat and have upped my protein intake considerably while practically zeroing out carb's. I'm going to evaluate this for a time and see how it feels. My goal is by Jan 1st to have in mind a plan for maintenance that I can begin for 2018.

Replies

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Best wishes for your next level. I know you will do great and reach your goal. I have been thinking about going the low carb route myself for maintenance as well. I know I do better on lower carbs. I have been mulling over eating keto style on my feast days (friday-sunday) with a fast day thursday and then eating higher carb on my vegetarian days. (mon-wed)

What do your 96% animal sourced food meals look like?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I like keto style for earlier meals and then carbs allowed for dinner.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Sounds great Jim, excited to see how you go as you transition into maintenance...
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Nice breakdown, Jim!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »

Not much change in weight since I last updated three weeks ago, but BF% has moved a bit in the right direction.

Hmm, hmm, hmm. I presume you are measuring BF with one of those home scales? I have always been skeptical of that method. Clearly it is working for you. Maybe I need to reevaluate ... You have been using yours long enough that you have seen a steady decline in BF as you lose weight?
  • jvcinv
    amflautist wrote: »

Hmm, hmm, hmm. I presume you are measuring BF with one of those home scales? I have always been skeptical of that method. Clearly it is working for you. Maybe I need to reevaluate ... You have been using yours long enough that you have seen a steady decline in BF as you lose weight?
    I checked into it a little. The one I got is supposed to be one of the better ones in terms of accuracy that a person can perform at home. I'm mainly looking to have a consistent reference point to track over time, rather than thinking it is THE true measure of BF.
    I've been doing it almost a month now and I can say that it seems to track fairly consistently and doesn't jump all around. After I've collected a couple months of data I'll graph it and see how it's trending.

• jvcinv
    Did an 11 mile run this morning in 2hr 3 min (11.2 pace).
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    That's great!!!
  • blambo61
    Nice run! I don't think I could go that far. You seem to like the distance!
  • jvcinv
    Thx Brenda, Bob.
    Yeah I like the distance challenge.
    It's not a sure thing yet, but I've penciled in a half marathon for Nov 25. If I train well for the next 4 weeks I'll give it a go. I figure it would be a big exclamation point on this year of transformation.
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Thx Brenda, Bob.
    It's not a sure thing yet, but I've penciled in a half marathon for Nov 25. If I train well for the next 4 weeks I'll give it a go. I figure it would be a big exclamation point on this year of transformation.

That sounds like a great goal. I would also like to try some longer stuff next year. I'm hoping to build up the milage more this winter so I could handle a 10k-1/2 marathon. I run 4xweek and plan on continuing that. I run 4-miles on Mon and Tues and 6 on Thurs and Saturday (Mon and Thurs are hard days with racing, intervals, or fartlek). I would like to get to 6 on Mon and Tues and 9 on Thurs and Saturday. That is probably as high as I will try to go this winter. How much are you running these days?
  • jvcinv
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thx Brenda, Bob.

That sounds like a great goal. I would also like to try some longer stuff next year. I'm hoping to build up the milage more this winter so I could handle a 10k-1/2 marathon. I run 4xweek and plan on continuing that. I run 4-miles on Mon and Tues and 6 on Thurs and Saturday (Mon and Thurs are hard days with racing, intervals, or fartlek). I would like to get to 6 on Mon and Tues and 9 on Thurs and Saturday. That is probably as high as I will try to go this winter. How much are you running these days?
    You've already got a pretty solid routine going, I'm sure a 10k or HM are within your scope.
    I'm currently running roughly 120 miles a month.
    Up until recently it's been mostly all easy runs with some occasional intervals thrown in.
    Lately I've been trying to work in some up tempo runs into the mix. For example I ran a solid 6m up tempo this week, and todays 11m I would characterize as a moderate up tempo pace. I know I can do a half marathon at an easy pace, but I can do that at home. If I'm going to do a race I want to do so at the best pace I can muster for the distance.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thx Brenda, Bob.

You've already got a pretty solid routine going, I'm sure a 10k or HM are within your scope.
    I'm currently running roughly 120 miles a month.
    Up until recently it's been mostly all easy runs with some occasional intervals thrown in.
    Lately I've been trying to work in some up tempo runs into the mix. For example I ran a solid 6m up tempo this week, and todays 11m I would characterize as a moderate up tempo pace. I know I can do a half marathon at an easy pace, but I can do that at home. If I'm going to do a race I want to do so at the best pace I can muster for the distance.

Sounds like a plan! The tempos will help for sure. Will be interested to see how it goes for you!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Your 'constant' in this equation is your running and next is unlocking the what, when & how much nutrition will keep you happy...it takes experimentation for sure. Wow! just Wow! You're doing great!
  • jvcinv
    I've been warned by MFP for promoting unsafe or unhealthy practices. Of course I did no such thing.
    Unfortunately I do not feel welcome now and will not continue to participate since I am effectively prohibited from simply describing my experiences. I am not the type of person who handles being told what not to say very well, my only option is to delete my account. I'm not going to tip toe around always wondering if something I might say could be construed as unsafe or unhealthy.
    I'm just notifying the OMAD group so you don't wonder.
    I've enjoyed sharing these last seven months of my journey with you all.
    Good luck and much success to all.
    @jvcderby
  • blambo61
    Dude! You can't go! I will seriously miss hearing about your successes. You have been an inspiration to me. Maybe you can just keep your account and sneak in a post once in awhile. Hope to be able to keep hearing how your doing.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I've been warned by MFP for promoting unsafe or unhealthy practices. Of course I did no such thing.
    Unfortunately I do not feel welcome now and will not continue to participate since I am effectively prohibited from simply describing my experiences. I am not the type of person who handles being told what not to say very well, my only option is to delete my account. I'm not going to tip toe around always wondering if something I might say could be construed as unsafe or unhealthy.
    I'm just notifying the OMAD group so you don't wonder.
    I've enjoyed sharing these last seven months of my journey with you all.
    Good luck and much success to all.
    @jvcderby

What were you warned for? Specifically?
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2017
    :(
  • tlblanksfit
    Hate to see you go, I hope something can be worked out and you are able to stay.
  • tlblanksfit
    I agree, I don't bother with the main forums, I just stick with the ones I belong to. I agree with newmeadow in that jvcinv belongs here. You are definitely welcome here. Please don't go.