Reality of actual 5K Race Anxiety?

Options
caramel827
caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
I have completed C25K TWICE. The first time I did it mostly on treadmill as I started in late winter. I found when I went outside I struggled despite being able to do each week/day on the treadmill. I did the entire program again only outside. Now my issue is different. At the park I usually go to I can complete the final day of Couch to 5K without stopping. I have done it multiple times at the park where I train at-but when I get in the actual race I don't know what happens. I try to pace myself but I always have to stop and walk which frustrates. me. I have no concern about speed at all but for some reason I get winded and just start walking. I really do just want to complete it running straight through but don't know how to get over worrying about those around me-I am super slow so when walkers start to catch up to me I think it makes me speed up...any advice is appreciated. I'm starting to think I am only cut out to be a walker which isn't a bad thing...

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Actual events are always different from running on your own. You likely are starting out faster than you usually would, even if you don't intend to. I wouldn't worry too much about having to stop during an event. You finished the even, right? That's all that matters!
  • shanitilly
    shanitilly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done lots of 5Ks. It helps you to not think about other people and focus on your run if you run with music. During practice set up a playlist of songs that makes you feel inspired. Time your speed to the music. Then on race day it will help you keep the right pace. Remember the tortoise wins the race!