Fruits & veg in low carb?

Options
Well, I thought I started a discussion on this topic earlier today, but I must have done something wrong, because it is nowhere to be seen!

Here is my question: How do you long-time low-carbers (especially Keto folks) fit fruits and starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and carrots into your eating plan? Are these just totally off limits; or do you allow occasional higher carb days so that you can eat such foods? I am concerned about long-term nutrition deficits as I am doing Keto which seems to necessitate that I avoid these foods. I have been pleased with my weight loss, and getting off the carb roller coaster. But I am not sure how I feel about swearing off fruits and certain veggies that provide certain vitamins and macronutrients.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just decide early in the day which carbs you'd rather eat, and don't do all the fruits and root veg in one day, lol. It all balances out over the week. And like FIT_Goat said, you won't actually be missing nutrients especially if you are getting your greens and cruciferous veg and summer squashes and peppers in, or if you are strictly carnivore, eat your meat on the rawer side of cooked.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I know this is not what you asked, but it is related. There are those of us who are complete carnivores. We don't eat any fruits, veggies, or other plant matter. We don't have cheat days where we allow them. And, we don't supplement or take vitamins. Many of us (most even) also don't eat organ meats. So, no liver or stuff like that.

We suffer from no long term nutrient deficiencies. If anything, many of those eating nothing but meat have recovered from nutrient deficiencies.

In short, you don't need those plants for health. If you like them and can fit them in your macros, go for it. But, even if you never had them again, you wouldn't have nutrient deficiencies from their lack.

Wow! Hat's off to you. I am pleased that this works well for some folks. I definitely do not have a "one-size-fits-all" philosophy when it comes to the best way to eat and I believe that what works well for one person, may not be a good fit for the next. Thank you for your input, and it is nice to know that some folk do totally fine with no veggies at all. At this point in my life, I personally want a more varied diet than just meats.
  • MicheleStitches
    edited October 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just decide early in the day which carbs you'd rather eat, and don't do all the fruits and root veg in one day, lol. It all balances out over the week. And like FIT_Goat said, you won't actually be missing nutrients especially if you are getting your greens and cruciferous veg and summer squashes and peppers in, or if you are strictly carnivore, eat your meat on the rawer side of cooked.

Thanks. I am still just a little 6 week old baby with this Keto approach, and I am being pretty strict with myself...mostly out of fear of triggering those old carb cravings. I have this vision of myself eating a sweet potato, and then waking up twelve hours later in a sugar-drunk haze, surrounded by Little Debbie wrappers and Krispy Kreme donut crumbs all over my face! :D

But in the long run, I want to be able to enjoy "healthy" foods in moderation. ("Healthy" meaning plant foods, not processed sugary junk.)
  • MicheleStitches
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm a middle of the roader based on my personal experience.
    1) Neither a vegan lifestyle nor a carnivore lifestyle is of interest to me.
    2) I lost my excess weight via low carb (basically eliminated sweets).
    3) I ate medically therapeutic keto for 52 weeks for a reason other than weight.
    4) I currently cap carbs at 50 for all days that I eat at home which is at least 90% of the time. Away from home, I'm slightly more flexible.

I have very little difficulty fitting a moderate amount of potato, some carrots, a few peas, an ear of corn (or a half ;) into my 50 total carbs with a little planning. I rarely hit 50 total carbs at home. I prohibit nothing in the fruit and vegetable category.

This seems a very sensible approach, and what I aspire to be able to achieve. I would like to have the occasional apple or potato without feeling bad, or sabotaging all my hard work.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I didn't have to be in ketosis to lose weight. I do have to live a life of not eating cakes, cookies, ice cream, Cheetoes and Doritos (at home) if I want to keep my weight off. I personally didn't become overweight eating broccoli...or carrots, or a small peach. YMMV.

:):):)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Wow! Hat's off to you. I am pleased that this works well for some folks. I definitely do not have a "one-size-fits-all" philosophy when it comes to the best way to eat and I believe that what works well for one person, may not be a good fit for the next. Thank you for your input, and it is nice to know that some folk do totally fine with no veggies at all. At this point in my life, I personally want a more varied diet than just meats.

I have no doubts that carnivore was not what you were seeking. I was just trying to reassure you that there's no nutritional need for plants. You're not going to become deficient, even if you're not eating as much as you would think you should.

Fit the veggies in, as best you can. Most here would not recommend cheat days, even if it's to go overboard on fruit, starch, and vegetable carbs. Those are just counter-productive.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Well, I thought I started a discussion on this topic earlier today, but I must have done something wrong, because it is nowhere to be seen!

Here is my question: How do you long-time low-carbers (especially Keto folks) fit fruits and starchy veggies like sweet potatoes and carrots into your eating plan? Are these just totally off limits; or do you allow occasional higher carb days so that you can eat such foods? I am concerned about long-term nutrition deficits as I am doing Keto which seems to necessitate that I avoid these foods. I have been pleased with my weight loss, and getting off the carb roller coaster. But I am not sure how I feel about swearing off fruits and certain veggies that provide certain vitamins and macronutrients.

Because my H seems averse to carrots in vast quantities, I tend to spiralise them, omitting the core, which houses all the sugars a carrot contains (therein the carbs!) I then put the shredded carrot into cold water to keep it crisp.

I do the same with courgettes, because the seeds have a lot of water in the central pulp, and they make the courgettes mushy.

I shred the courgettes, like the carrots, and salt them to eliminate the excess water.
    Squeeze, drain, rinse, drain, squeeze again.
    In the meantime, I saute a chopped onion in some butter, and add the drained carrots (you don't salt them, ok?) and fry gently until they begin to soften.
    Transfer the carrots to a shallow oven dish.
    Sprinkle with grated cheddar/mozarella.
    Cover evenly with the drained, squeezed courgettes, and then more (a lot more!) grated cheese. Bake in a hot oven for around 20 minutes or until the cheese is nicely browned and crusty.

Eat. Hot or cold, it's pretty good!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Fruits? Blueberries and blackberries are my go-to.
    Those, and green bananas.... (Green bananas = resistant starch... ;) )
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dang, AlexandraCa -- that carrot dish sounds delicious!! What temperature do you consider a hot oven? I have something like a spiralizer -- how do you omit the core??
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    We suffer from no long term nutrient deficiencies. If anything, many of those eating nothing but meat have recovered from nutrient deficiencies.

Do you think there's something about beef that makes this more the case? If your other forums, are there any chicken-only carnivores, for example?
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I try to keep my net carbs between 20-50 per day so I will add in veggies mostly in the form of salads and some steamed veggies. I try to stay away from starchy veggies like potatoes and most fruit. So long as I am losing weight and inches I will keep eating much of the same things. It is a balance in my opinion, you need to find the right things that fit into your WOE since it will be different than others in some aspect.

There are plenty of lists on the internet that will give you carb counts for most fruit and vegetables so it easy to add in something that won't derail your journey. Once I hit maintenance I will probably start introducing more variety but for now I can live with limited choices.
  • gorillababyface
    gorillababyface Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you got to do what makes you happy. Dieting is what you do to control or reduce your weight and become healthy. Once you feel you've done that you maintain it but it must 'feel' right to you. I went on keto for 3-4 months and lost 63pds with excercise but now I'm playing around with my carb levels experimenting to see what works. I will say that adding carbs I do get really snacky. I will be full but still want snacks. I eat healthy snacks. And when I'm done experimenting I think I will be living a life of switching from paleo to keto. I don't think you have to eat keto 24/7 365 but to go into ketosis semi-often is probably a good practice.

Things I've added (with moderation); more lower carb veggies (beets, mushrooms, onions,carrots, cabbage, bell peppers, etc...), popcorn, organic low-medium carb snack bars, organic peanut butters, low-medium carb shakes, dark chocolate, one fruit a day (if desirable). Doing all that I still stay under 90 total carbs a day.
  • MicheleStitches
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has replied So far. I really appreciate the feedback!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Do you think there's something about beef that makes this more the case? If your other forums, are there any chicken-only carnivores, for example?

There are many who do different red meats (goat/lamb), but not a huge amount who eat only chicken. I don't see a reason they couldn't. Many of the Inuit were seafood based eaters, so there was that. I just find chicken unsatisfying. It would be something that someone could try. Most people just find beef very filling.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Dang, AlexandraCa -- that carrot dish sounds delicious!! What temperature do you consider a hot oven? I have something like a spiralizer -- how do you omit the core??

180C. That's around 355F, I think.... 350F would be fine. Middle-top section.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If practicing keto, starchy fruits and veggies are practically off limits, but plants and berries grown above ground are practically fine. Their net carb content is the focus. That said, "low carb" is a flexible term for many where just eating a reduced amount of carbs below their standard diet - usually whole food carb sources and eliminated refined carbs. For this group it may relate to eating more than keto limits, but not enough to be completely glycolytic AKA metabolically flexible.

For example, I'm in ketosis if I decide to care enough to test, but my usual carb intake is anywhere between 50-150g on average, depending on the day. I also train ~6-7 days a week, so I've created a glucose sink whenever I ingest carbs. If I happen to have a higher carb day, I'll reduce fat, and on higher fat days, I'll reduce carbs.

If you're practicing low carb/keto for weight loss, it will always boil down to creating a net calorie deficit. For many people, the initial glycogen depletion and water loss is enough to create long term diet adherence. After a while (6+ months) of being keto, any perceived advantage of the diet loses its effect and it just becomes like any other diet that follows the rules of thermodynamics.

If nutrient density is your goal, then you can definitely achieve that without "needing" to be in a specific carb range.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,595 Member
    Options
    I "don't eat" the fruits or starches. Every now and then I will split an apple with my wife as part of breakfast. Every now and then I will have a small portion of butternut squash. All this is factored into my 20 net carbs total I give myself a day.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you are following NET carbs you shouldn't have much trouble getting a little more variety in your fruits and vegetables. If you track your TOTAL carbs you might find it a bit more limiting.