Well Hello

Options
Hey, people! The party has arrived. Lol JK... I just joined this group. I used to be a Christian until I was a late teen and then considered myself more "spiritual" for a while, and bought into all types of woo. This is my first go at getting to my goal weight as an atheist. I love to have discussions about anything, controversial or not. I love to make fun of religion just as much as the next skeptic, but I also try to have empathy for everyone and where they are on their life journey. It took me a while to get here.

My name is Lisa. I'm 28. I weigh 296 lbs as of the 12th. My goal weight is 150, so I'm gonna be losing close to half my body weight. I'm doing keto. I lost 75 lbs within 5 months doing it a few years ago. When I get to my goal I plan to continue with a maintenance version of low carb. I also am very interested in lifting. I hear so much about how awesome it is, how it really helps accelerate fat loss, how it helps minimize skin sag, and I just think it would be awesome to feel strong! I have no idea where to even start with that. I definitely can't afford a personal trainer.

Anyways, I hope some people at least are active in this group! Feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    This group is not terribly active, but I'll add you.

I also eat very low carb and have been doing a carnivorous diet (no plants, with a few exceptions) for awhile. I'm going to return to eating plants soon (already started a little bit). I have around 10 lbs. of fat to lose in order to reach my body fat goal for this year, and time is running out. After my last race for this year (Sat.), I'm going to switch focus to Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss plan. I have type 1 diabetes, which complicates things. Fortunately, my knowledge on T1D is really great - much better than most physicians even.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This group is not terribly active, but I'll add you.

"Not terribly active". LOL at the understatement.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa welcome to this group. I live in France where the majority are non religious. But it seems being an Atheist in the USA is not Kosher. (excuse the pun).
    My starting weight 196lbs BMI 28.0
    Current weight 170lbs BMI 24.5
    Target weight 143lbs BMI 20.5
    I was a R.C. during my childhood.
    But facing open heart surgery as a 15 year old I began to analyze life.
    Good luck in your journey.
  • AnsleyAdams97
    AnsleyAdams97 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey Lisa! Yes this groups not very active, though I would LOVE to help to make it more active! I sent you a friend request. I am in a similar boat... currently I'm at 296, down from 331 . But its been super up and down for me this year. I feel like every time I lose 20 I gain 15 back. I would also love to try weight lifting.... but I am not sure I want to spend the money on a gym membership if I am not going to use it and I am working so much right now I don't know when I could ever use it...

I have been an atheist for 2 years, previously I was indoctrinated as a Conservative Evangelical Pentecostal type (they prefer the non-descriptor label "Non-denominational", which I think is *kitten*). BUT like you I was just more spiritual and not practicing anything for a long time before becoming an atheist. One thing I always had trouble with was the idea that in order to lose weight I needed to be better committed to god. I am so glad I have released that insidious idea.

Welcome to the group!
  • psychethelover
    psychethelover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    TARGET65K wrote: »
    Hi Lisa welcome to this group. I live in France where the majority are non religious. But it seems being an Atheist in the USA is not Kosher. (excuse the pun).

Lol It's becoming more common and accepted in the US, but a lot of what is considered American culture still has ties to Christianity. But the popular culture here is becoming more and more secular and critical of religion, so I think it is going in a good direction, mostly. More people are becoming free thinkers, especially the college educated.

• TitoTim
    TitoTim Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Texas. After graduating seminary I converted to Hinduism. Spent 27 years as a vegetarian, and got really fat. Finally gave up all the fairy tales and took control of my own life.

So, 5 years ago (at 48), I went back to eating meat, retired to the Philippines, and last year -finally- started losing weight. This place is about 10% muslim and over 80% catholic... very odd for me... such is life.

All government forms here ask religion. They cannot imagine not knowing everyone's religion. When you mark 'Other' and write in "none" it blows their minds ha ha. B)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Not been here for a while so decided to have a look around again.
    I grew up in an atheist household. My mother's family was never religious. My gran said living through WW2 knocked the last relies fluff out. My father's family was a little different but dad always called it bogus.
    That said my parents gave us all freedom to explore whatever we wanted religion wise. So I attended religious classes, humanist classes and red up on other religions.
    I have never ever been able to see the point of religion and just could never believe in something that was apparently omnipotent and at the same time could allow for such a mess with the planet and humanity.

So I stayed atheist. Thankfully I married a fellow atheist (lapsed catholic) so religion as such is never a point of discussion
  • IceQueenThaws
    IceQueenThaws Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hope this group gets active. I grew up Jewish but not super religious. I had to have a bat mitvah and my older brother did too. The two oldest siblings didn't. Go figure. I was never religious and got kicked out of hebrew school often for pointing out all the inconsistencies (old testament is full of 'em). Married a very religious person and divorced decades later. Now living in a very catholic area (it's assumed everyone here is christian and not being catholic is a shock, being atheist is insane) so it's kinda lonely and there isn't really anyone to date.