The Search for a new Sugar Substitute

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-search-for-sugar-substitutes-1508119742

Don't know if I want something that's been "modified" on an atomic level.

Replies

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    Options
    Al....I agree and btw that was quite a read. Couple of months ago I read a couple of articles that caused me to go off on a tangent. I read about sugar in all the foods and I read about the sugar substitutes and then read about flour and how bad it was for you. For some reason I bought into the articles and began the hunt for products without sugar and products that didn't have sugar substitutes and at the same time looked for products that I didn't have flour or at least an organic version.

I won't go into my experience except that I it was not a wise decision to tackle either of these or both at once just got me totally sidetracked. I got confused and discouraged and the whole nine yards.

Still trying to get back on track mentally and items that I'm tracking. That's all for now on this article.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    Derrick, I truly understand. We're dealing with the reduced sodium cravat, along with an increased protein intake, which takes my eye off the reduced caloric intake I need to lose the rest of my weight.
    As part of the cardiac rehab we will meet with a dietician, so, hopefully, we can get all that aligned.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    Don't know if I want something that's been "modified" on an atomic level.

Realize that any molecule that is different from any other molecule is "modified on the atomic level." That's what makes them different molecules. Unless I'm missing your point (which I may be).

There's an interesting alternate consideration to this that many folks balk at: maybe everything we eat doesn't have to be the absolute best-tasting, perfectly balanced, amazing mouth-feel, item we can find? Somehow we manage to eat vegetables, for example, and for many of us, those are acquired tastes. Yet we do it, and we know that it's good for us (and cuts out extra calories elsewhere, too). Reading about different companies striving to create the perfect frankenfood just seems like so much fuss for something that just isn't that important.

I'm cool with artificial sweeteners, like Splenda. I have yet to see real data that there is a significant increase in health-related problems from those items. Remember, much of the worry comes from concerns extrapolated from small studies that were never designed to detect the actual concern we worry ourselves about.

• Al_Howard
    Options
    Thanks Steve for your input. That is kind of the way I look at most of these "studies" that are in popular media sources.
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever funded a study about studies?
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    Options
    @steveOmania it's really great to see your input again I find them very informative so thank you. @Al_Howard I stay on the sodium kick most every item. Being in the weigh loss mode I find it's beneficial keeping an eye on it. My dietitian wants me to keep it around 1500 and trust me that is a real challenge if you get the wrong item(s) ie; most canned soups and deli meats and especially rotisserie chickens which are very popular quick to pick up at Sam's and Costco etc.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    johnlreeb wrote: »
    Has anyone ever funded a study about studies?

Yes... it is actually a popular subject among real researchers because they want to learn the best way to dot hem.