Hello, I'm new to the group!

Options
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the site 'myfitnesspal' and was a bit shocked at some of the attitudes I witnessed in some other forums when discussing the matters of carbohydrates and the impact on one's health...and then I found this group :-)

It looks like there are some great resources and topics available, which is already encouraging!

I thought I'd offer this: I've just completed 'Wired to Eat' (Robb Wolf) and 'The Keto Reset Diet' (Mark Sisson) on Audible (a great way to consume this info during commutes, etc.) and would highly recommend them both (in that sequence), as those two highly knowledgeable persons around nutritional science give a great breakdown of why this stuff (real food, low carb) actually matters for human health.

If anyone wants to share any personal insights or recommendations, I'm looking forward to benefitting from this group's collective wisdom -

Replies

• PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hesterific wrote: »
    I have come to believe that high carb is the third and largest political party and if you don't abide by their beliefs you will be attacked. :( Science makes no difference.

Welcome

You're not kidding!

Thank you.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @PrimalForLife , you're not alone. I got hanged, drawn and quartered on "the Dark Side" before being rescued by a Knight in Shining Armour aka @RalfLott.
    Welcome.
    I hope you'll find something useful here.
    Correction: I know you will!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @PrimalForLife , you're not alone. I got hanged, drawn and quartered on "the Dark Side" before being rescued by a Knight in Shining Armour aka @RalfLott.
    Welcome.
    I hope you'll find something useful here.
    Correction: I know you will!

:s
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I read "Wired to Eat". It was well laid out but I found nothing new in the book. It's all good though. Thanks for the "Smart Fat" recommendation @Sabine_Stroehm. I just went to my public library's site and placed it on hold.

My favorite read remains The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts that Make Us Overeat by Stephan Guyenet. He's not a keto guy. More Paleo, I believe and a neuroscientist who researches obesity. I keep tabs on his videos and website. He's not really come up with any new "talking points" since his book (released in 2017) but the book was a game changer for me. It is likely something others already knew and that was to be aware of how we are bombarded in today's world with excessive eating cues and to learn how to alter my reaction to them. Geesh. I worked as a Behavior Therapist for a couple years (long ago) at a mental health clinic. Funny how I could not identify and apply the principles to my everyday life when it came to overeating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I read "Wired to Eat". It was well laid out but I found nothing new in the book. It's all good though. Thanks for the "Smart Fat" recommendation @Sabine_Stroehm. I just went to my public library's site and placed it on hold.

My favorite read remains The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts that Make Us Overeat by Stephan Guyenet. He's not a keto guy. More Paleo, I believe and a neuroscientist who researches obesity. I keep tabs on his videos and website. He's not really come up with any new "talking points" since his book (released in 2017) but the book was a game changer for me. It is likely something others already knew and that was to be aware of how we are bombarded in today's world with excessive eating cues and to learn how to alter my reaction to them. Geesh. I worked as a Behavior Therapist for a couple years (long ago) at a mental health clinic. Funny how I could not identify and apply the principles to my everyday life when it came to overeating.
    Does your library do HooplaDigital? They have a great APP for reading/listening.
  • kpk54
    Options

Does your library do HooplaDigital? They have a great APP for reading/listening.

Remains something I need to check into.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Remains something I need to check into.
    It's a game changer for me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Welcome @PrimalForLife - I am glad you found us. If you haven't gone to the Launch Pad on the main page of this group, I would highly recommend it. After over a year, I haven't made it through all of what is there simply because every time I start there, I end up down another rabbit hole. It feels like I am nearing a biochemistry degree at this point. I never had a clue how much of our health is determined by hormones and how much affect diet and lifestyle have on those hormones.

As for the comment from @hesterific above, I couldn't agree more. The completely baseless dogma around the food "norms" is crazy. Of course, here in the US where most of the idiotic recommendations started, it is no wonder this happened. They were created by the USDA who has a dual mandate and the other one is to grow the agricultural output in the US. Four of the five largest crops they are pushing are ones we should rarely, if ever eat - soy, corn, wheat and sugar cane. The fifth is cotton. For them to actually push for healthy diet would actively sabotage the first mandate.
  • kpk54
    Options

Not HooplaDigital but I have installed the app they use. Will get on the waiting list for a couple of books. :) Thanks!
  • PrimalForLife
    PrimalForLife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Welcome @PrimalForLife - I am glad you found us. If you haven't gone to the Launch Pad on the main page of this group, I would highly recommend it. After over a year, I haven't made it through all of what is there simply because every time I start there, I end up down another rabbit hole. It feels like I am nearing a biochemistry degree at this point. I never had a clue how much of our health is determined by hormones and how much affect diet and lifestyle have on those hormones.

As for the comment from @hesterific above, I couldn't agree more. The completely baseless dogma around the food "norms" is crazy. Of course, here in the US where most of the idiotic recommendations started, it is no wonder this happened. They were created by the USDA who has a dual mandate and the other one is to grow the agricultural output in the US. Four of the five largest crops they are pushing are ones we should rarely, if ever eat - soy, corn, wheat and sugar cane. The fifth is cotton. For them to actually push for healthy diet would actively sabotage the first mandate.

Thanks @cstehansen - this group has become a great resource already. People have been welcoming and, of course, are open-minded, informed and generous with their knowledge!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just started The Keto Reset book - after falling off the wagon for a while! Will have to add a few more books to my reading list!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome @PrimalForLife