Intermittent fasting

Options
wanderinjack
wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
edited October 2017 in Social Groups
I’d like to here from others that are doing IF and how it works for them.
Been keto for 3 years and started doing IF for 12 hours a day about a year ago. I kind of like it so I’ve been doing an experiment to get up to 18 hours a day. Funny thing is that it works just fine and I’m not starving when I have my first meal....not starving I tell you. My hunch is to not try this without being full blown keto.

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been eating in a 2 hour window for 4 weeks now and it's surprisingly easy. No hunger and my digestive pain is gone. Tons of energy, focus, and a nice calmness. I have coffee with butter and coconut oil midmorning, tea in the afternoon, dinner between 5:00-7:00 pm. Once or twice I've had bone broth at noon.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I never intentionally set out to do IF, but my cycle of eating was technically IF as I used to only eat a large dinner (skipping breakfast and lunch).

I found that as soon as I started working out every day in the early evening (interval training and kickboxing/MMA), I couldn't sustain this pattern as I couldn't' eat directly before my workouts, therefore I didn't have any energy and couldn't perform throughout . To circumvent that, I had to start eating a huge breakfast (~400-700 calories depending on the weekday training) around 8-9, and then won't eat again until about 7pm during the week - which technically probably isn't IF.

However, on the weekend days, I IF as I only eat dinner and I feel fine. I seem to stay much more consistent in the context of blood sugar and feeling tired/etc than I did when I was on a 3 day or more meal plan.

• HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Also, I use an app, I think it's called Zero. It'll track how long you want to fast. If you are at all competitive, it really helps a lot. It becomes a challenge I want to win.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    I've been eating in a 2 hour window for 4 weeks now and it's surprisingly easy. No hunger and my digestive pain is gone. Tons of energy, focus, and a nice calmness. I have coffee with butter and coconut oil midmorning, tea in the afternoon, dinner between 5:00-7:00 pm. Once or twice I've had bone broth at noon.

Wow eating in a 2 hour window.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm generally 16:8 or 15:9 and I've eaten a varied diet over the last couple of years, playing with IF off and on. The meal timing helps me stay on track with my calorie goals.
    I’d like to here from others that are doing IF and how it works for them.
    Been keto for 3 years and started doing IF for 12 hours a day about a year ago. I kind of like it so I’ve been doing an experiment to get up to 18 hours a day. Funny thing is that it works just fine and I’m not starving when I have my first meal....not starving I tell you. My hunch is to not try this without being full blown keto.

• wanderinjack
    Options
    I'm generally 16:8 or 15:9 and I've eaten a varied diet over the last couple of years, playing with IF off and on. The meal timing helps me stay on track with my calorie goals.

Where you keto the whole time while doing IF?
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Dr Jason Fung is an excellent resource for IF and EF. I love it, crazy good energy and I feel better when I skip a few meals. Check out Dr Fung's podcasts and interviews on YouTube.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options

Wow eating in a 2 hour window.

Please know I'm not encouraging others to follow my example. I have 31% BF, am 54, post menopausal, and a stay-at-home mom.... I don't require a lot of food.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Just the amount of time you save in meal planning, prep, eating and clean up must be amazing.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Just the amount of time you save in meal planning, prep, eating and clean up must be amazing.

And mental space.
    Between measuring, weighing, planning, avoiding .... eating was becoming a full time job. A job I hated.
    I tried OMAD, but even that was annoying with the one plate in one hour rule.
    Now it’s pretty simple. Don’t eat all day. Then eat a nice dinner with my family, casually enjoying the foods I like (and that like me back) and conversation.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Well I accidentally did a 20 hour fast today and was perfectly fine!
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Been doing 20:2 for a few days and it amazing. Even ran today!
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    So glad to hear about your running! I swam 1000 meters of intervals 25 m fast 25 m lazy slow in fasted state - it was wonderful. But the next day I was ravenous by mid afternoon so I broke early and ate then. So now I will factor that possibility in and be prepared.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    I did notice that I’m running at a much slower pace for the same heart rate (MAF running). Not sure what that’s all about. I’ve also jumped up to about 80% fat in my diet and full keto where before I was around 65% fat. Thinking that the lower MAF pace is due to extra oxygen needed to metabolize additional fat. Not really sure though.
  • KAWAM
    KAWAM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with HestaMoon1 & Wandering Jack--one "positive" from almost sixty years of eating disorders and "dieting" is that I'm most comfortable with coffee/coconut oil in the morning--now supplemented with exogenous ketones--and nothing again until dinner. If I'm peckish in the late afternoon at work, I'll eat a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. My challenge is to clean up that one dinner meal, both its content and quantity.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've recently started 20:4 and it's been easier than I thought. I do have water and grass-fed bone broth with MCT oil to break the fast, then low carb. So far, so good.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Do you have to follow keto to do IF? I've been interested. I eat mostly paleo (been allowing some gluten free grains lately, but that might need to stop. They're just not satisfying.) Would it work if you aren't full on keto? I might have to do some research.
  • GrokRockStar
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Do you have to follow keto to do IF? I've been interested. I eat mostly paleo (been allowing some gluten free grains lately, but that might need to stop. They're just not satisfying.) Would it work if you aren't full on keto? I might have to do some research.

Most folks eat Keto, or lower carb with IF to attain benefits such as weight loss, lower blood sugar, autophagy, etc, but there are some folks who do it for spiritual purposes, so it depends on your personal goal. Because I'm a T2 diabetic, I have been combining IF with low carb Primal to lower my blood sugar without meds. Weight loss/inches is a bonus.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. :)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I'm into my first 24 hour water fast. So far just a headache, but I'm not as hungry as I though I would be. After this, then back to 20:4.