Keto Pasta Sauce Where Art Thou!

Options

Replies

• whispr99
    whispr99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For store-bought alfredo, Classico Riserva Alfredo is 2g carbs for 1/4 cup. It's made with heavy cream, parmesan, butter, xanthum gum. The only carby ingredient is corn starch, but apparently not much.
  • dm5859
    dm5859 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rao's marinara is my go to for pizza and casseroles. I'm so glad it's easy to find here on Long Island. 3G carbs for half a cup and 1g fiber.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Rao's is great but I find it super expensive. Like almost 7 bucks a jar expensive. I live in Florida so that could be part of the reason I guess.

If it's financially a stress I use a cheaper product called Bertolli that is 2 carbs for around 1/4 cup/61 grams. Read the labels though because different flavors have different carb counts. Yes there is some added stuff that isnt in Rao's. I am just looking out for the financially strapped folks who may read this thread!
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Classico Tomato & Basil has only 8 grams carbs with 2 grams fiber per serving....not too bad if you are careful the rest of the day.
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love Bongiovi marinara.
    For Alfredo, this is my go to recipe:
    Melt 1-2 tbsp of butter in a small sauce pan
    Add 3/4 cup HWC until almost simmering but do not allow it to get that hot
    Add 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (check for starches, I grate my own)
    Gently whisk until incorporated.
    Reduce heat
    In a small bowl whisk an egg yolk and then, while whisking the sauce, add yolk to sauce pan. Continue to whisk until incorporated to prevent egg from scrambling.
    Whisk every few minutes for about 5 minutes until thickened. Add up to 1/4 c more HWC until desired thickness is achieved.
    Salt & Pepper to taste.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    hesterific wrote: »
    I love Bongiovi marinara.
    Reduce heat
    In a small bowl whisk an egg yolk and then, while whisking the sauce, add yolk to sauce pan. Continue to whisk until incorporated to prevent egg from scrambling.
    Whisk every few minutes for about 5 minutes until thickened. Add up to 1/4 c more HWC until desired thickness is achieved.
    Salt & Pepper to taste.

I'll have to try that. What I make is very similar but without the egg yolk and with cream cheese and garlic. VERY similar though (all other ingredients/proportions).

Thanks for sharing cuz tasty Alfredo is easy to make and takes little time. So many are not aware this. Kudos!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Alfredo sauce is taken to otherworldly heights with just a dash of nutmeg. I've never researched the mechanism, just know that its one of those authentic touches we sometimes miss...

hesterific wrote: »
    Reduce heat
    Salt & Pepper to taste.

@hesterific - The first half of this is very close to what I make for my "easy/cheat" Alfredo sauce...

So, the addition of the yolks just makes it more of a custard-like thickening agent? Does it change the taste at all? I have made sweet custards many times...and despite the uses of savory custard, I haven't braved it...
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @hesterific - The first half of this is very close to what I make for my "easy/cheat" Alfredo sauce...

So, the addition of the yolks just makes it more of a custard-like thickening agent? Does it change the taste at all? I have made sweet custards many times...and despite the uses of savory custard, I haven't braved it...

It does change the flavor slightly from a basic Parmesan flavor to a more Olive Garden finish.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Agree with the touch of nutmeg! @KnitOrMiss
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Gonna add a little bit of Italian savvy here for anyone who's interested:
    Bolonaise sauce doesn't exist in Italy.
    More specifically, no Italian in Italy, calls a minced beef and tomato sauce, 'Bolonaise'

A tomato-based richly-flavoured sauce, containing a meat, of any type and cut (except fish) is called a Ragu (Rag-oo).
    Traditionally, the meat is slow-cooked, and for a formal meal, the sauce alone is served on pasta, (as a 'primo piatto') after the antipasti course, but before the 'secondo', which will consist of the meat content, served with vegetables or a salad.

Nowadays, it's not unusual in a restaurant or informal setting, to have pasta and ragu, but it will generally be beef minced or chunked, or pork, venison and even or cinghiale, in mountainous areas (wild boar pieces). Notice I say 'pasta'. A good ragu is never served with spaghetti. Ever.

There is also a particular group that does NOT put tomato in with the meat, but permits the juices and stock to reduce over several hours of cooking, to an unctuous and flavoursome syrupy sauce.
    Tomatoes didn't hit Italy until the 1600, and before then, recipes were created without the now-familiar red deliciousness. Some time-hardened domestic cooks (mostly 'la Nonna') and professional chefs in Bologna still refuse to add tomato.

I use tomatoes in my sauce, but I also add milk and a little red wine. And I never cook a good ragu for anything less than 2 hours.
    If anyone wants my recipe (and there are as many variations as there are 'buoni cuochi' in Italy!) let me know!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    From the linked article (not all of which I totally agree with, btw....):
    However, only the adventurous would try Elizabeth David’s suggestion: adding ovarine, or the unlaid eggs from a hen’s carcass.

This is frankly ridiculous.
    My grandmother used to use unlaid eggs from her hens all the time. If you have layers, and you decide to take one to eat it as a meat dish, it's going to have unlaid eggs inside. This will actually mostly be yolk.

The photo shows the inside of a chicken which is being gutted, and the egg yolks are plainly evident.
    I merely add the description for anyone who might be squeamish. If you eat meat though, frankly, I can't understand how you could be.

https://www.fieldandfeast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hausbar_5_structure.jpg

My grandmother would use them to make mayonnaise, or thicken sauces, or just lower them into boiling water for a minute. then eat them with a nice piece of Italian crusty bread, some salt and pepper and a pickle or two.

I can't begin to think what is 'adventurous' about that, but I guess I'm a product of my upbringing...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    edited

I use tomatoes in my sauce, but I also add milk and a little red wine. And I never cook a good ragu for anything less than 2 hours.
    If anyone wants my recipe (and there are as many variations as there are 'buoni cuochi' in Italy!) let me know!

Girl, you know we all want that recipe, just put it in here please.
  • bgreenly
    bgreenly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I buy the Aldi Brand Simply Nature Organic Tomato Basil with 8 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber so 6 net carbs per serving. csm_092414_R_44203_SPN_OrganicTomatoBasilPastaSauce_D_b43ef43653.jpg

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    edited

Girl, you know we all want that recipe, just put it in here please.

:D ok, ok.... Really tho' I don't like to blindly assume.... :)

1 finely-chopped onion
    2 good sticks celery, finely chopped.
    1 med. carrot, peeled, finely chopped (These 3 veg are known in Italy as 'la Trinità').
    200g finely diced pancetta or chunky streaky bacon or diced smoked pork belly.
    500g good-quality medium-ground minced beef.
    3/4 cup full-cream milk
    1 tin of plum tomatoes, put through a blender/food processor until smooth. (Don't use passata, it's too thin.)
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    half a glass of good, full-bodied red wine
    1 stick cinnamon BARK
    2 cloves. (not garlic. cloves. as in spices.)
    1 bay leaf.
    salt, pepper.

Put the oil in the pan, heat through, and add the panetta/chunky bacon/died smoked pork belly.
    Frazzle until well browned, then all all the chopped onion, celery and carrot, and allow to become translucent.
    Ad the minced beef, and brown thoroughly, allowing any juices that are expressed, to evaporate, until the meat is browned through.
    Add the milk, and simmer for a moment or two.
    Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine, and the cinnamon bark, cloves and bayleaf. Stir, and season well.
    Cover, leaving a gap for the steam to escape (rest the edge of the pan lid on a wooden spoon placed across the rim of the pan) and allow to simmer gently, just bubbling slightly, for a couple of hours.
    Make sure it does not dry out and stick/burn, but the juice should reduce quite well.
    Add a generous knob of butter at the end of the cooking process.
    remove spices.
    Serve - and eat.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to sip at the other half of the glass while cooking ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Don't forget to sip at the other half of the glass while cooking ;)

I honestly didn't think that needed saying... I mean...it's a given.... right??

Incidentally, many Italians from the Northern regions, 'bless' the meal by adding a forkful of spaghetti to a little red wine and eating it before the meal. No sauce, just freshly-drained pasta, in case anyone was wondering.
    I think it's a Catholic thing.... or so my Nonna used to tell me....
  • richb178
    richb178 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like Mario Batali Tomato & Basil sauce. It has 2 net carbs per serving. It's a bit cheaper than Raos for me. Paired with a spiralized yellow summer squash (with seeds removed first), and low carb parmesan meatballs, I'll get three dinners a week out of a jar.

Meatballs:
    https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/low-carb-meatballs-alla-parmigiana.html

Her sauce was mentioned above, but I don't have time to make it.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle I want to come to your house to cook with you!!
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Gonna add a little bit of Italian savvy here for anyone who's interested:
    Bolonaise sauce doesn't exist in Italy.
    More specifically, no Italian in Italy, calls a minced beef and tomato sauce, 'Bolonaise'

A tomato-based richly-flavoured sauce, containing a meat, of any type and cut (except fish) is called a Ragu (Rag-oo).
    Traditionally, the meat is slow-cooked, and for a formal meal, the sauce alone is served on pasta, (as a 'primo piatto') after the antipasti course, but before the 'secondo', which will consist of the meat content, served with vegetables or a salad.

Nowadays, it's not unusual in a restaurant or informal setting, to have pasta and ragu, but it will generally be beef minced or chunked, or pork, venison and even or cinghiale, in mountainous areas (wild boar pieces). Notice I say 'pasta'. A good ragu is never served with spaghetti. Ever.

There is also a particular group that does NOT put tomato in with the meat, but permits the juices and stock to reduce over several hours of cooking, to an unctuous and flavoursome syrupy sauce.
    Tomatoes didn't hit Italy until the 1600, and before then, recipes were created without the now-familiar red deliciousness. Some time-hardened domestic cooks (mostly 'la Nonna') and professional chefs in Bologna still refuse to add tomato.

I would love your sauce!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle I want to come to your house to cook with you!!

It's open house, any time, you would be most welcome! <3

@traceyann1214 I have posted it above, so feel free to give it a try - ! :)