Exercise on Keto

Options
Cpenney87
Cpenney87 Posts: 20 Member
Hey everyone!
I just wanted some advice in regard to exercise. I am in my fourth week of Keto. I recently joined a gym, and have been going the last few days. I've only done the treadmill and elliptical so far, until I can meet with the coach Friday. I'm not sure if he's familiar with Keto or not, so I wanted some advice from my fellow Keto and Low Carb peeps before going.

What types of exercises and roteins do you all follow at the gym? What exercises are good for a Keto lifestyle?
Also, I've been eating a salad as a snack before going, and saving the protein portion of my dinner for when I return home from my workout. Is this a good approach?

Thanks everyone! Keto On! ☺️
Claire

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise can hold your interest but I often hear lifting heavy weight is most beneficial for overall health and longevity.
    You really want to be burning fat not glycogen so no need to go all hard core cardio. You may also want to look into HIIT or Zone 2 training where you keep your heart rate a bit lower.

Dose 1000mg sodium (1/2 tsp salt) 30 minutes before exercise and again afterward to prevent low sodium which is already likely to occur with cutting carbs but more so with activity like that.
    Read the launch pad info about electrolytes asap
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    Do whatever exercise can hold your interest but I often hear lifting heavy weight is most beneficial for overall health and longevity.
    You really want to be burning fat not glycogen so no need to go all hard core cardio. You may also want to look into HIIT or Zone 2 training where you keep your heart rate a bit lower.

Dose 1000mg sodium (1/2 tsp salt) 30 minutes before exercise and again afterward to prevent low sodium which is already likely to occur with cutting carbs but more so with activity like that.

Thank you for the info! Yes, I'm already doing the pink salt, pickles/pickle juices, and electrolyte water. I've been suffering from bad headaches, but it's getting better now. I wasn't sure if I should do the pink salt and water before or after working out though, so thank you for answering that! Both! Lol. I've just been doing the treadmill and elliptical so far, but it was getting my heart rate up for sure. I was burning calories...so that's good I guess.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd say the same kind of routines that are good for any other lifestyle are good with keto and the long time most recent popular seems to be HIIT and lifting.

Me? I'm still stuck in the 80s and 90s with cardio but without the Jane Fonda outfits, leg warmers or the big hair. Flashback. I mostly just walk and/or do at home calisthenics with fitnessblender type videos. Occasional very light kettlebells. I'm about to hit the mileage on my stationary recumbent that equates to the length of I-40 in the US from Wilmington, NC to Barstow , CA. 2554 miles. I won't elaborate and tell how long that has taken. :)

The extra pre-workout 1000mg of sodium is a good idea. I find even I need it sometimes when walking outside on a plus 90° day. Have fun!
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'd say the same kind of routines that are good for any other lifestyle are good with keto and the long time most recent popular seems to be HIIT and lifting.

Me? I'm still stuck in the 80s and 90s with cardio but without the Jane Fonda outfits, leg warmers or the big hair. Flashback. I mostly just walk and/or do at home calisthenics with fitnessblender type videos. Occasional very light kettlebells. I'm about to hit the mileage on my stationary recumbent that equates to the length of I-40 in the US from Wilmington, NC to Barstow , CA. 2554 miles. I won't elaborate and tell how long that has taken. :)

The extra pre-workout 1000mg of sodium is a good idea. I find even I need it sometimes when walking outside on a plus 90° day. Have fun!

Too funny. I am so old I actually had the Jane Fonda ALBUM—pre VHS! And man I thought I was hot stuff :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Whatever exercises you like and will continue to do are the ones that will work best for you, Keto doesn't really matter when it comes to working out. Getting adequate protein is good for recovery, timing is not really critical, so if what you are doing works then keep it up.

For me, I like to keep a good mix of strength, flexibility, core, and cardio work - I try to keep it all kind of balanced.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Whatever exercises you like and will continue to do are the ones that will work best for you, Keto doesn't really matter when it comes to working out. Getting adequate protein is good for recovery, timing is not really critical, so if what you are doing works then keep it up.

For me, I like to keep a good mix of strength, flexibility, core, and cardio work - I try to keep it all kind of balanced.

Yes. Exactly.
    I do some cardio (long walks or HIIT) and strength training with dumbbells, kettlebells, and bodyweight. All at home using my own equipment and videos like HASfit and FitnessBlender. Bodyfit by Amy is good for beginners to intermediate.
    Exercise type really is only an issue with pro athletes like endurance athletes or people who run the 100m in the Olympics. I played the best soccer game of my life entirely fueled by sausage and eggs. I'm just a mom. Regular keto -folk should be just fine. I recommend strength training since muscle you build is only going to work for you 24/7. And keeping muscle mass up as you age is crucial for longevity. Strong muscles, strong bones.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just do whatever workout strikes my fancy and keto has given me no problems. In fact I found after a few weeks of adapting that my cardio output was way better. I could run with less walking breaks and no side cramping for the first time ever!
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    kpk hahaha omg so funny! Why did Flashdance pop in my head?!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice. I just started going to the gym this week, so I've been walking, and jogging on the treadmill, as well as using the elliptical. I want to get into lifting though also, because my bingo wings have to go! I also want to tone my back, shoulders, and core. I'm going to see what the trainer recommends for me (and show me the proper way to do it). I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot if I just walk over and start grabbing weights!

I'll probably always incorporate the treadmill and cardio to start though. What is HIIT?? I see it mentioned several times on here. Also, thanks for the info, this group is the best! Better than the Keto group on Facebook!
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found when I started keto a month ago I couldn't keep up with my typical 60 minute zumba class. I have been doing zumba on and off for years, and rarely ever couldn't finish a class. I've started to drink some electrolyte powder mixed with water and it's helping. This week I've started lifting weights and the extra electrolytes helps with that too.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Cpenney87 wrote: »
    kpk hahaha omg so funny! Why did Flashdance pop in my head?!

Cuz you "got" the right era. "She's a maniac, maniac on the floor"...'cept now I pedal to that ...in half time... on my stationary recumbent. :p

• kpk54
    Options
    What is HIIT??

High Intensity Interval Training
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    dmsl977 wrote: »
    I found when I started keto a month ago I couldn't keep up with my typical 60 minute zumba class. I have been doing zumba on and off for years, and rarely ever couldn't finish a class. I've started to drink some electrolyte powder mixed with water and it's helping. This week I've started lifting weights and the extra electrolytes helps with that too.

Yeah, I think each person is unique to how it effects them. I was advised by some to ease into cardio. I've started drinking the propel electrolyte water mix in my water. Is that what you're using also?

• baconslave
    Options

Yeah, I think each person is unique to how it effects them. I was advised by some to ease into cardio. I've started drinking the propel electrolyte water mix in my water. Is that what you're using also?

https://www.propelwater.com/products
    Check their nutrition facts. 160-210mg sodium. Considering the rec is to have 1000mg 30min before a session, Propel (and Gatorade and Powerade do this as well) is an anemic bottle of electrolyte juice. If you add 1/4tsp salt to that yourself, then you're talkin'. Which is what I would do.
    3000-5000mg of sodium every day.
  • Cpenney87
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Check their nutrition facts. 160-210mg sodium. Considering the rec is to have 1000mg 30min before a session, Propel (and Gatorade and Powerade do this as well) is an anemic bottle of electrolyte juice. If you add 1/4tsp salt to that yourself, then you're talkin'. Which is what I would do.

Yeah, I'm just drinking the propel at random times through the day, not for pre or post workout. I'm using my pink salt for that! Yay! However, my pink salt is in a grinder. So 1/4 teaspoon grounded?

• baconslave
    Options

Yeah, I'm just drinking the propel at random times through the day, not for pre or post workout. I'm using my pink salt for that! Yay! However, my pink salt is in a grinder. So 1/4 teaspoon grounded?

Oh ok. I like those just to drink, but some people think they are adequate for electrolytes. Yeah, if you want to drink 2 gallons of it... :lol:
    A quarter tsp grounded is about 580mg. I personally can't manage a whole 1000mg in one drink, so I have one before and one after the workout.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Oh ok. I like those just to drink, but some people think they are adequate for electrolytes. Yeah, if you want to drink 2 gallons of it... :lol:
    A quarter tsp grounded is about 580mg. I personally can't manage a whole 1000mg in one drink, so I have one before and one after the workout.

Get the powder and double (or quadruple) up. ;)

Zumba's pace tends to put it in the "glycogen burning" group. Less glycogen means less endurance for it. Keep going with it and make sure you keep the electrolytes up and you should start improving as your body adapts and uses what's available more efficiently (you just need to keep the demand going).

You can also toy around with MCT oil (you can use coconut oil) before class. Medium chain triglycerides (the main fat in coconut oil) are on par with sugar when it comes to burn speed and availability to the body, with the benefit that it burns much more "cleanly" than sugar. It's human jet fuel, basically.

I second the lifting. I <3 lifting.

Heavy lifting, in particular, is fantastic for increasing bone density, which is insanely important as we get older (especially for women and menopause). Plus, strength, because yes. :)