Keto can take a hike!

Options
Aqualang26
Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
But how, exactly?

I'll be spending some days mountain hiking - like all day - then expected to eat with the group in the evening (so I can't blow ALL of my carbs.)

Besides nuts, what can I stick in my pack? (No refrigeration and likely to get bounced/banged.)

Replies

• drnriordan
    drnriordan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions by youngmomtaz, there are tuna pouches that are easy to pack and while I don't love the idea of canned meats, you could try the canned chicken, which I believe can also be found in a pouch. For the evening communal meal, you could certainly see if they are willing to leave some of the protein plain for you before adding in whatever carbs might be served.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Aqualang26
    Options
    Tuna pouches are a great idea! I feel silly for not having thought of that.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have never seen tuna pouches! I guess I will have to make a note to look for them the next time I am in a larger Center.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have seen the canned chicken in a pouch as well if you don't like tuna.
  • Aqualang26
    Options
    I'll grab the chicken if I see it, too. Have you tried it?

So far I've got nuts, tuna and chicken. Not so sure about cheese keeping ... anyone know about that?

Anything else? Particularly, easy to nosh while walking.

Was thinking low-carb tortilla with almond butter.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have tried the chicken and I liked it.....It was a little bland, but it's possible they have some different varieties now.

I think cheese will last awhile if you don't mind that it gets a little squishy and greasy after being out of the fridge awhile....LOL
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Hard cheeses (aged cheddar, etc) keep just fine.

The website BackCountry Paleo might have some ideas for you. And you might look up some freezerbag cooking meals for ideas, too. Most FBC meals are relatively high-carb, but you might get some ideas to try out and modify.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    And if it's just a day hike, you could pack some frozen meals. They'll keep cold enough until dinner time. Too heavy to take days and days worth on a backpacking trip, but manageable on a day hike.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For our endurance rides I take homemade jalapeño poppers and homemade beef jerky along w babybel or string cheese. They all last for a few days w/o refrigeration but I usually eat the cheese first.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Consider just going lower carb instead of keto those few days perhaps? While I do keto for health reasons from time to time I eat more carbs (as in boat load of grapes) but still no added sugars or any form of any grain. Where it is good for metabolic flexibility I just never researched it.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I’ve done a number of 50-100 milers on keto. It’s a really sweet burn. Last 50miler I even did IF but we took it easy, 6 days.. I use a lot of macadamia nuts, and home made pemican.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky... peanut or nut butters with celery... low carb bars or shakes. Parmcrisps would be great too... I get them at Sam’s Club, they are straight Parmesan cheese chips, and have no carbs.
  • Aqualang26
    Options
    Some great ideas in there. Thanks a lot folks for taking your time to help me out.