Who's Above Goal Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jimb376
    Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    I don't think WW factors in age, but my PCP told me that he "lost" a few patients, who were around "ideal weight", when they had a bout of pneumonia. He likes the 20# 'hedge".

Interesting!
  • susan092907
    susan092907 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    @Al_Howard - I've read that many doctors suggest that older people carry a few extra pounds that might be needed to get them through a medical crisis. WW doesn't factor in age.

For me though, age 65, I'm going with the vanity factor - appearance is important to me.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Jimb376 wrote: »

When I mentioned planning on setting GW to my Mtg Ldr she immediately reached for some chart and asked my height (5'8"). I will discuss what is the range for a 5'8" 69 yo man?

My Dr seemed to take my age into consideration when we were discussing a good BMI goal weight for me.

I do not believe age is a factor with WW? Anyone know?

I *know* what the top of the range is for someone who's 5'8". It's the same for males and females and is easy to find. First, I know it because I started the training to become a WW leader :)

Second, WW uses BMI to determine goal weight ranges. You can do it yourself by using the BMI calculator at https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm. If you just enter your height and keep putting in weights until you have a BMI that's below 25, you'll know the top of the range :) If you want to see how LOW you can go and still be within the range, you keep entering lower weights until your BMI is below 18.5.

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

In a land far away and years ago, the WW weight ranges were different for men and women. They changed that several years ago so that they're now both the same. They also used to factor age into determining goal weight. That went away too.