RNY Surgery on 10/26.

Options
Time4Nana
Time4Nana Posts: 26 Member
I just came yesterday afternoon from having a huge hiatal hernia repaired and an RNY done. My shoulders hurt up into my neck so bad and not sure how to relieve the pain. Any suggestions or do you think walking helps that too.

The 5 incision sites really aren’t causing any problems even though certain pieces of clothing are uncomfortable. If anything keeps me that will be it. :o

I have read do not weigh after coming home I did it anyway, big mistake. I’m 12 pounds heavier than went into surgery. I’m not worried because I know how easy it is to retain fluid.

Replies

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That kind of pain sounds like gas. They inflate your abdomen like a balloon so they can see what they're doing and easily maneuver. The only way to get that gas out is to walk. It helps your body absorb it to get rid of it.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk. I also used gas x strips. They seemed to help some. Welcome to the new journey!
  • thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, get on your feet and walk as much as you can.

Congrats on the surgery. I had gastric bypass surgery on 8/25/17. And I actually didn't have any extra gas pain after the procedure. However, I know exactly what you're talking about...I had that pain in my neck/shoulders after my gallbladder removal surgery. It lasted a few days, but it got better with every day.

I hope relief heads your way soon. :)
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    Feeling better each day and getting up and moving around the house. My shoulders still hurt but that’s improving too. Thank you for your input. I just reread my original post and boy the words I left out in certain sentences. I think part of that was the med pills. I don’t like pain meds it Interferes with my thought process and gives me headaches so as of yesterday I’m done with them. I feel just as well today without them and can think!

Yesterday I had a big issue with taking my regular prescriptions pills, crush them and taking them. Two of them taste so bad I didn’t think I’d ever get it out of my mouth. Someone recommended I take it with a Snapple Diet drink. They are still nasty but doable that way. One of my biggest goals is getting of some of these pills.
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had to be on antibiotics while I was still under orders to crush anything larger than a baby aspirin. Crushed antibiotics taste like hell. The worst 5 days of the whole experience!
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I never had to crush my meds! They gave me pills in the hospital. :) (my Zoloft, and Protonix) I did have the chew-able vitamins, that were awful. :(
  • ppmintpatty
    ppmintpatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can you take them crushed in applesauce yet? That's what I did from day one and I still do my non-chewable ones that way six months later. It totally hides the taste.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    No I have to have a straight liquid diet until my dr appointment on 11/8. I am drinking protein shakes and clear liquids. Most of my pills barely have a taste but my jardiance and gabapentine taste horrible. The Snapple at least makes a little bit better. If all goes well I can start soft foods when I see the dr.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I crushed my pills and mixed them into yogurt.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    I’ve have been so weak since Thursday, no energy to move around. I’m only getting about 400 calories a day with 3 protein drinks and liquids. Is that normal. I’ll my surgeon Wednesday hopefully he’ll let me start with some soft foods.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    RNY friends requests would be appreciated.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Time4Nana, the fatigue is normal I believe. I would get up, shower and get back in the bed for the first two weeks. I was just that tired. The fatigue started to go away after my diet began to change from liquids to normal food, about 6 weeks after surgery.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    Hopefully I can start on soft foods Friday. Can’t believe how I’m looking forward to mush :-)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've never taken pills for anything so I'm glad I didn't have to work that out. As far as the fatigue, that is absolutely 100% NORMAL. Truthfully, I didn't start feeling my energy really return for about a month or so but when you're subsisting on liquid and mush, that's to be expected.
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    Managed to out and walk a little today. It wore me out but did better than I’ve been doing. I thought I was getting a handle on taking my pills but this morning they nearly came up and left my stomach hurting. Hopefully I’ll come off some meds soon. Already see a big difference in my glucose numbers. That’s a nasty tasting one (jardiance).
  • michellerussellknutzen
    michellerussellknutzen Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I had RNY on 11-1 and also had a hiatial hernia repair. I had no clue it was there, no symptoms etc. I had left shoulder pain when they took my drain out but never got the “gas” pains in my back. You are doing great getting your protein shakes in. That’s my struggle!!! I’ve heard the chewable gas ex works wonders too. Best of luck on your journey. Friend request me, I’ve tried to send you one but keep getting an error.
  • Samquentin
    Options
    If I read right, today you go back! and you get to see your doctor, and start foods! :D (pureed or soft, depending on your program).
    Hope you are doing good still! :D
    I found that taking my pills on an empty stomach makes my belly hurt something fierce for a while... 30-45 minutes, then it passes. SO I take with food. :) (or my coffee/protein mix I have for breakfast.)
  • Time4Nana
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I did go see the dr for my 2 week follow up this morning. He told me part of the added problem I’m having is the area healing from my hiatal hernia repair because it was very large wrapping around my esophagus and then my stomach was going up into it. So he had to repair that before he could even begin the bypass. But he was happy with my progress and took me off all my diabetes medication which made me feel worse, very nasty
  • Time4Nana
    Options
    I’m now on soft foods, one meal a day for the next two weeks.
  • Samquentin
    Options
    Dumb hiatal hernias! (Thankfully mine was small enough, he didn't have to repair it, surgeon said it would cause more pain to repair, and since I did RNY, I'd not have reflux anymore)

Glad to see you get to start soft foods!! Hope that helps you feel better and stronger!! And YAY FOR being OFF OF diabetes meds!!!!