anybody need a supportive friend

Options
sunman00
sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
hi folks, my friends list has been thinning out as people leave the site, so I'd like some new friends if anybody would like to add to their list.
I'm Cliff, I'm coming up on 4 years on MFP, overweight and unfit at age 53 I decided to turn my life around & lost 52lb in 52 weeks; for 3 years I logged intake & weighed in every week, these days I don't really weigh but I eat healthily & exercise regularly with a mixture of weight training, HIIT routines on a stationary bike & outdoor walking.
I'll be 58 in a couple of weeks and in the best shape of my life inside & out.
I enjoy keeping up with fellow travellers on here & seeing & hearing how they're doing so please add me as a friend if you'd like to expand your list a bit.
best to all,
Cliff

Replies

• downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It is great to read of your success Cliff! My b-day is this month also so I will take some inspiration from your success!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    It is great to read of your success Cliff! My b-day is this month also so I will take some inspiration from your success!

Cliff is fierce, I can tell you that. He is a wonderful add for your list. Very inspiring with no quit in him.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Cliff is a very supportive guy, and a hard worker on his health.
  • eastbaygal
    eastbaygal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, Cliff! I am also in search of a support group as my other one, which was absolutely key to my weight loss, sort of fell apart. I've had some pounds creep up over the last three years and I have started logging again, and trying to get back into exercise. Geez you'd think I was heading a nightmare instead on heading into the gym i resist it so. But just posting this has lifted my motivation - ok, maybe not huge but like a tiny spark :/
  • eastbaygal
    eastbaygal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cliff: how are you doing? Hope all is well. I wanted to ask a question, as you seem to have mastered this: what do YOU do to get back into the gym and it's been a while. I can't believe how much I am resisting this! I spend all day thinking "I really ought to go" and then I don't :/ ! You'd think I was going to the dentist or something.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cliff posted that he is going to Thailand for a sailing holiday tomorrow.
    He might be off line. I don't know.
    @eastbaygal Send him a friend request.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey easyBayGal! If you resist going to the gym then is the gym the place you need to go? I found a fun exercise class that is 3x/week at my level with cardio, resistance and stretching. I enjoy it and don’t resist going. I am hoping to find another class 1x/week, plus a yoga class and to convince myself to go swimming 1x/week. I also aim to walk 6-10k/day. Other options are a readmill at home, free weights and exercise videos. It can all help. I set weekly goals on Sundays and daily intentions. I’m far from my goals but keep inching forward. I need more fitness pals for support so feel free to add me :)
  • rgec58
    rgec58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy going to the gym for several reasons. I do enjoy the outdoors, so running, road cycling (bicycle), and backpacking have become my ways of exercising. I have tried swimming, but from where I live, the drive is just prohibitive, even though I enjoy swimming. What I recommend...Find something you enjoy and will stick with, because if you do not enjoy it, you will eventually find reasons not to put out the effort. Find something that is more accessible for you, because even if you enjoy it, if it takes a lot of effort just to get there, you will find reasons not to go. Don't overdo it when you first start. Many think they have to catch up, killing themselves with intensity that cannot be maintained, especially initially. I step out of my door to run. I roll out of my garage to ride. I have an indoor trainer for my bike to spin in bad weather, but I have a video training program that directs my spinning, so it keeps my interests. Side note: I am envious of Cliff, I also enjoy sailing, cruise ships and small to medium sailboats. I am taking lessons this spring in order to get by Bare Boat and Coastal Cruising Certification. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    eastbaygal wrote: »
    Cliff: how are you doing? Hope all is well. I wanted to ask a question, as you seem to have mastered this: what do YOU do to get back into the gym and it's been a while. I can't believe how much I am resisting this! I spend all day thinking "I really ought to go" and then I don't :/ ! You'd think I was going to the dentist or something.
    I found a new gym I connected with better. Also, I only do exercises that I enjoy. I find cardio and cardio classes boring, yoga is a big nope for me too. I lift. I got into powerlifting about 4years ago. I find it really motivating— the other lifters and my coach are all very encouraging and keep me heading back every day.

Find a gym community that you love, east bay has loads of really great gyms!! (I’m in Sacramento!)

Good luck!
  • Farback
    Options
    I got into powerlifting during my cardiac rehab followup in 2014, and like it a lot more than endless cardio. My numbers have been going up in a satisfactory trajectory for a geezer. I’ve been heavy on the cardio the past couple months to lose or at least redistribute some mass.
  • rgec58
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading Cliff's story. I am 59, have been riding a road bike (endurance events), running (1/2 marathons) and I use to do triathlons. Believe it or not, you can train for these, compete in these, and still not progress in your overall health, weight and fitness. That was me. I ate more and poorly when competing, using the excuse, "that's why I run...ride...swim" is to eat whatever I want. Well, that doesn't work. I looked around and was in the worst shape fitness and weight wise. I have been committed to MFP for 2 months now, changing to an adapted clean eating approach, and exercise to stay fit, not to "eat whatever I want." I follow a training schedule for my running and cycling developed by professionals. I am still competing, but now I am in much better shape. I will need encouragement as we go, so that is why I joined this group. Keep up the good work Farback, Cliff, melodys_attic, and QuikDogs. Hang in there and find your sweet spot eastbaygal.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    rgec58 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed reading Cliff's story. I am 59, have been riding a road bike (endurance events), running (1/2 marathons) and I use to do triathlons. Believe it or not, you can train for these, compete in these, and still not progress in your overall health, weight and fitness. That was me. I ate more and poorly when competing, using the excuse, "that's why I run...ride...swim" is to eat whatever I want. Well, that doesn't work. I looked around and was in the worst shape fitness and weight wise. I have been committed to MFP for 2 months now, changing to an adapted clean eating approach, and exercise to stay fit, not to "eat whatever I want." I follow a training schedule for my running and cycling developed by professionals. I am still competing, but now I am in much better shape. I will need encouragement as we go, so that is why I joined this group. Keep up the good work Farback, Cliff, melodys_attic, and QuikDogs. Hang in there and find your sweet spot eastbaygal.

LOL, actually, and although I have plenty of fluff to lose, I've been steadily but very slowly gaining weight. I've also been going down in clothing sizes. It was messing with my head to a serious degree! I started getting quarterly DEXA scans...at your local university, they likely have a program where they scan not just bone density, but also map muscle and fat mass.

Bottom line, I've been steadily but slowly changing my body composition. From Sept to Dec, I lost 6% body fat, but gained almost 7 lbs of muscle. So, yay for weight gain! And thank you to my awesome strength coach, he is the BEST.

• rgec58
    Options
    Found out the hard way, that sometimes you need to stop and find out why you have some pain. I noticed a lower back pain, but decided to "run through it." Then I noticed a pulling muscular pain first in my adductor muscle, then my thigh, then my hip. I finally went to my chiropractor and he told me my hips had rotated. (I had helped a friend move, which started the back pain). Since my hips had rotated, the result was pulling muscles when I ran. So, I got an adjustment and feel much better, but the damage I caused just "running through it" has slowed my running progress. Have to take time off, ice the muscles, and gradually enter running again with compression gear. So, moral, pay attention to pain, take care of it, so there will be no unnecessary negative impact. Still losing weight though.
  • PamelaR64
    PamelaR64 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was on MFP a couple of years ago and did quite well...I was logging all of my food, exercising almost every day...swimming and yoga mostly...and then I injured my shoulder. No more swimming, no more yoga (I think it was yoga that did me in)...instead of finding new ways to exercise, like walking, I stopped everything. I think I was feeling sorry for myself...I've never been injured enough to stop me from doing what I love to do...
    So, here I am, a year after my injury and every last pound I lost, I've gained right back!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @PamelaR64 :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all. Steve here. 63 years young. Here to lose some pounds and stay as fit and healthy as possible.

I lift weights two or three times a week. Hit a couple of circuit training classes each week. Walk and/or hike when possible. Wade and fish Idaho rivers in the summertime.

Add me as a friend if you like. Glad to share support and encouragement. I check in here almost every day. I really enjoy the community here.
  • DebCountsAll
    DebCountsAll Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in a supportive group! I'm just starting out and have a long way to go. My personal goal is to buy a kayak and take it out on the weekends!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Friend me! I have a kayak and it's awesome. I'm going to Caladesi island tomorrow. (FL) I'm on mine almost every weekend.
  • Farback
    Options
    yslg7vds2dd0.jpeg
    That’s my boat.
    7ic0pcldh5ww.jpeg