NEW!!

Options
Just recently heard of the keto diet. And it caught my attention so I started reading up on it. I would really really like to try it out!! I've lost about 42lbs so far on my own but am struggling really bad with it mostly due to depression. I'm also a type 2 diabetic.
I see a trainer twice a week and the other days I go to the gym. Other than my trainer I have no support. And lack of motivation which I was told has to do with the depression. And trying to learn up on keto I'm getting overwhelmed. So, I tried looking up things like online keto groups or whatever and ended up here. I've had MFP for a while but didn't know there was a community thing on here but I'm also still not totally familiar with everything on it. I'm struggling with discipline and holding myself accountable. I'm also having trouble with the gym cause I feel like everyone is watching me and after too many people start coming in I disappear.
Sorry I'm so all over the place with this!! I think it would help to have support and someone to hold me accountable....or 10 someones!!
Please help!!

Replies

• rchelen
    rchelen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Check out this website ruled.me
    That's where I got my informations on keto and helped me get started. I've only been on it a week so I'm still learning as I go! And having the people/support group on here really help! Good luck!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Just recently heard of the keto diet. And it caught my attention so I started reading up on it. I would really really like to try it out!! I've lost about 42lbs so far on my own but am struggling really bad with it mostly due to depression. I'm also a type 2 diabetic.

Sorry I'm so all over the place with this!! I think it would help to have support and someone to hold me accountable....or 10 someones!!
    Please help!!

Hi, it's really friendly around here and there is lots of support and advice. Also try looking at the Diet Doctor site. It's free and has lots of interesting stuff as well as Keto recipes etc.

As part of this Keto group there is thread at the top of the main discussions where you posted and it's called 'November Challenge'. Have a look at that, it's just some people who have decided to weigh in and post their weight weekly as that helps keep us focused and accountable, to ourselves and each other. It might be fun and a focus to try that if you'd like to do this, just post your weight there and join the rest of us. As you will see if you look at the October Challenge which is still there, we were honest about when we gained but mainly we lost during the month and were motivated to try again in November.

Also to loose 42lbs is amazing, so well done to you! Don't worry about the gym, just continue on, you are obviously doing well and I bet that if anyone is actually looking, some of the looks are admiration for your continuation as a regular.

One last thing: you have done really well and don't forget it!! :)

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on the 42lbs lost that is quite an accomplishment.

This may sound strange but take ownership of your weight loss journey because ultimately it is about your health and well being. You can have all the support in the world but at the end of the day it is up to you (I have to remind myself of this once or twice a week). I know that motivation can be difficult and with depression even much more so. I've found that my seasonal depression was helped out some by getting a daylight alarm clock, by staying active, and doing something creative daily. I am not entirely sure what will work for you, it could be talking to someone about it or finding that thing or things that take you out of the depression mindset. I know its different for everyone. There are some days I just don't want to do anything but forcing myself to just put one foot in front of the other on a treadmill for 30 minutes or more clears up that apathy.

As far as the gym don't let your perception of others sway you. F@%K em if they look, you paid for that service. You are there to better your health and anyone who makes a comment or weird look aren't worth the sweat off your back. Not all gyms are created equal, people serious about getting in shape won't have time or focus for anything other than just that. If the gym you are going to seems more like a social pick up place it might be time to search around for something different, in my opinion.

There are a lot of helpful people in this group and the daily LCHF group. There are a lot of helpful posts whether you are going strict Keto or just low carb. Lastly I try to hold myself accountable first and then look for support if I need it. It's the only way it really worked for me. If I relied on my wife I wouldn't be on this weight loss journey.
  • blondebaby88
    blondebaby88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    rchelen wrote: »
    Welcome! Check out this website ruled.me
    That's where I got my informations on keto and helped me get started. I've only been on it a week so I'm still learning as I go! And having the people/support group on here really help! Good luck!

Thanks girl! I will be spending my weekend learning up on this.
  • blondebaby88
    Options

Please help!!

Hi, it's really friendly around here and there is lots of support and advice. Also try looking at the Diet Doctor site. It's free and has lots of interesting stuff as well as Keto recipes etc.

As part of this Keto group there is thread at the top of the main discussions where you posted and it's called 'November Challenge'. Have a look at that, it's just some people who have decided to weigh in and post their weight weekly as that helps keep us focused and accountable, to ourselves and each other. It might be fun and a focus to try that if you'd like to do this, just post your weight there and join the rest of us. As you will see if you look at the October Challenge which is still there, we were honest about when we gained but mainly we lost during the month and were motivated to try again in November.

Also to loose 42lbs is amazing, so well done to you! Don't worry about the gym, just continue on, you are obviously doing well and I bet that if anyone is actually looking, some of the looks are admiration for your continuation as a regular.

One last thing: you have done really well and don't forget it!! :)

Thank you!! I am proud of myself for getting this far. And trying not to get to down about it not being more and stay positive. The first time I tried losing weight about 5 years ago it became an addiction and it's not happening the same way this time so it's like I'm waiting for it to hit. Ugh.. And I'll definitely try out the challenge.
  • blondebaby88
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    Welcome and congratulations on the 42lbs lost that is quite an accomplishment.

This may sound strange but take ownership of your weight loss journey because ultimately it is about your health and well being. You can have all the support in the world but at the end of the day it is up to you (I have to remind myself of this once or twice a week). I know that motivation can be difficult and with depression even much more so. I've found that my seasonal depression was helped out some by getting a daylight alarm clock, by staying active, and doing something creative daily. I am not entirely sure what will work for you, it could be talking to someone about it or finding that thing or things that take you out of the depression mindset. I know its different for everyone. There are some days I just don't want to do anything but forcing myself to just put one foot in front of the other on a treadmill for 30 minutes or more clears up that apathy.

As far as the gym don't let your perception of others sway you. F@%K em if they look, you paid for that service. You are there to better your health and anyone who makes a comment or weird look aren't worth the sweat off your back. Not all gyms are created equal, people serious about getting in shape won't have time or focus for anything other than just that. If the gym you are going to seems more like a social pick up place it might be time to search around for something different, in my opinion.

There are a lot of helpful people in this group and the daily LCHF group. There are a lot of helpful posts whether you are going strict Keto or just low carb. Lastly I try to hold myself accountable first and then look for support if I need it. It's the only way it really worked for me. If I relied on my wife I wouldn't be on this weight loss journey.

I totally agree with you. I know it's up to me, I just feel like having support would help a lot.
    I have been getting out and doing things on the weekends with a friend and that has helped a lot. But my friend also stays on top of me about it and I really needed that. I'm very grateful for him cause otherwise I'd still be isolating myself.
    I also go to therapy every week. So I'm working on everything, it's just going to take a while.
    And the gym thing...im not sure what that's about. It didn't bother me a few years ago. That's something I'm going to bring up in therapy. I just started seeing a new therapist so I'm still warming up to her.
    I know I shouldn't care what they think or let it bother me but it does and affects what I'm trying to accomplish. I got to fix that real quick like cause I got s**t to do!
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @blondebaby88

There are some great Facebook groups as well for info: Ketogenics for Success; Ketovangelist Kitchen; etc.
  • blondebaby88
    Options
    manleyr14 wrote: »
    @blondebaby88

There are some great Facebook groups as well for info: Ketogenics for Success; Ketovangelist Kitchen; etc.

My fb is deactivated at the moment. But if I decide to get back on, I'll look those up.
    Thank you!!
  • Twinklestarr1981
    Twinklestarr1981 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @blondebaby88 -YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • blondebaby88
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Twinklestarr1981 I needed that!!
    Thank you!!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I know it's up to me, I just feel like having support would help a lot.
    I have been getting out and doing things on the weekends with a friend and that has helped a lot. But my friend also stays on top of me about it and I really needed that. I'm very grateful for him cause otherwise I'd still be isolating myself.
    I also go to therapy every week. So I'm working on everything, it's just going to take a while.
    And the gym thing...im not sure what that's about. It didn't bother me a few years ago. That's something I'm going to bring up in therapy. I just started seeing a new therapist so I'm still warming up to her.
    I know I shouldn't care what they think or let it bother me but it does and affects what I'm trying to accomplish. I got to fix that real quick like cause I got s**t to do!

I totally understand and I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Support is always helpful and you are taking the right steps to better yourself and you already have an expectation that it will take a while. In my opinion you are on the right track. Just remember you are a strong, willing, and determined person that will see your goals through. It may sound goofy but reminding yourself of such things will help even on those days where things don't go exactly as planned. Don't hesitate to reach out to anyone here even if its just to vent.

• blondebaby88
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »

I totally understand and I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. Support is always helpful and you are taking the right steps to better yourself and you already have an expectation that it will take a while. In my opinion you are on the right track. Just remember you are a strong, willing, and determined person that will see your goals through. It may sound goofy but reminding yourself of such things will help even on those days where things don't go exactly as planned. Don't hesitate to reach out to anyone here even if its just to vent.

No no not at all!! It's very hard to offend me or take anything the wrong way.
    I do think about these things everyday and try to push myself through it. This depression thing though...it really gets you. That's the biggest struggle. I didn't understand how much it effects people till it got me. And damn did it do just that! Now I get it. It's no joke. And it keeps you from doing a lot. It's funny how something so little as getting up and moving can be so hard.