Back on the wagon!

Mfal90
Mfal90 Posts: 3 Member
Hey everyone,

I started strong in Sept (-8.8lb), but lost traction in Oct (-1.8lb). Now we're 1/4th done with Nov (+0.1lb) with no movement... bad trend.

But I feel good about it!

Halloween drinking is over, the candy is gone, and Uber Eats is dead to me. Weight loss isn't always a perfect journey. I'm back to logging every day and watching macros. I'm dreading Thanksgiving, but I'm going to make it through the holiday season one way or another!

Turkey is keto, mashed cauliflower is a great substitute, creamed spinach is delicious, and I've seen some banging sausage stuffing recipes.

Here's to finishing the month out strong!

(... and then we just have Christmas...)

Replies

• serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    I am right with you. I have resisted getting back on the wagon because I hate week one but I know getting my body back in ketosis will give me the energy and willpower to get through the holidays so I'm back today drinking water like a fiend to keep the Keto-flu at bay
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Drinking too much water, @serenity920 - without adding in your electrolytes can actually CAUSE the so-called keto flu which is just out of balance electrolytes.

To stave off the keto flu, get 5000 mg of sodium (replacing what keto naturally dumps) until you become better adapted. After that, most folks need/tolerate around 400 mg of magnesium (not oxide, most other forms are tolerated - some folks need more magnesium). Get potassium in foods (unless medically directed otherwise) - most labels don't require listing out potassium, so check a site like USDA.gov or fatsecret.com. Coffee, chicken, greens, and nuts tend to have decent potassium. Most food sources of magnesium that are not ORGANIC, NON-GMO, and GRASSFED have been depleted of magnesium for a large number or reasons, so most people need a supplement - not all, but most...

But if you get enough sodium, you won't dump magnesium and potassium in the first place...

Sodium is the key to preventing the so-called keto flu. The rest can support that.
  • katillac625
    katillac625 Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2017
    How can you get sodium? Is it as simple as just adding salt? I just came off a bout of what I think was keto flu for the last 2 days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited November 2017
    Salt, salty foods, sodium supplements, pickles, pickle juice, olives, prepared meats, bouillon or bone broth, etc. Salt crystals swallowed like a pill are good, too.

It is as simple as salt. However, table salt will not work for everyone. It doesn't work WELL for me. My body responds better to sea salt... But yes...

However, I will say, don't try to take more than a 1/2 tsp of STRAIGHT salt (with or without water) at a time -- as in don't do a TBSP at a time -- with food or as part of salty foods, it's generally okay. It can be used in poison control to make you vomit or have immediate loose stool to evacuate poison.

Use it throughout the day with your meals or as needed, as the body constantly adjusts.

@katillac625
  • serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Drinking too much water, @serenity920 - without adding in your electrolytes can actually CAUSE the so-called keto flu which is just out of balance electrolytes.

To stave off the keto flu, get 5000 mg of sodium (replacing what keto naturally dumps) until you become better adapted. After that, most folks need/tolerate around 400 mg of magnesium (not oxide, most other forms are tolerated - some folks need more magnesium). Get potassium in foods (unless medically directed otherwise) - most labels don't require listing out potassium, so check a site like USDA.gov or fatsecret.com. Coffee, chicken, greens, and nuts tend to have decent potassium. Most food sources of magnesium that are not ORGANIC, NON-GMO, and GRASSFED have been depleted of magnesium for a large number or reasons, so most people need a supplement - not all, but most...

But if you get enough sodium, you won't dump magnesium and potassium in the first place...

Sodium is the key to preventing the so-called keto flu. The rest can support that.

Thanks for the heads up. I am supplementing with magnesium and having broth with a high sodium count so I should be good but I will keep an eye on it remember what you pointed out.
  • Mfal90
    Mfal90 Posts: 3 Member
    How can you get sodium? Is it as simple as just adding salt? I just came off a bout of what I think was keto flu for the last 2 days.

Hey @katillac625 ,

I agree with @KnitOrMiss ... Try incorporating salty foods. Bacon is great for this!

Or, nuke a cup of chicken broth. If I'm not lazy, I'll pull out a pot, crack an egg, and make a simple Egg Drop Soup. There's plenty of add-ins to make this not as boring (soy sauce, ginger, green onion, veggies)

Otherwise, I have no shame drinking a bit of pickle juice! I always have pickles on hand. I like the Zesty Garlic Kosher Spears. Good stuff!