Week 7 Daily Chat, Exercise, Discussion and Encouragement

Options
This past week was good for me. 4 pounds down, most likely thanks to wrestling practice starting back. But I did better eating healthy as well. Need to log better though. Still slacking with that.

Replies

• Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. so apparently I completely skipped daily posts last week.. Part of it was breaking down and getting stuck in the bush.. But also some slackness on my part. srry..

I've gotten out of my good habbits with the daily exercise. Keeping busy but not hitting the gym. Keen to remedy that this week. I have maintained calorie discipline. But after a reasonably frustrating time recently, I decided to back off my aggressive calorie goal from 1200 to 1500. Which is still down on the 1720 MFP recommends. And I feel better, and still lost.

My significant news on the dietary front is after much research, I've committed to going ketogenic for the rest of the year to see what it's like. I'm 3 days in so far, so basically haven't even started, but no complaints yet.

Since I didn't comment last week, I'll contribute some forest mushrooms this week.. These from my property. Names unknown.
    b9b93d62b255eda9f243b97099fc1200.jpg

608b57619aa78a743f13aed87397d30e.jpg

Hope everyone is happy and well, have a great week.
  • plainanjelik
    plainanjelik Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm committing to 300 minutes of exercise this and 84,000 steps this week. Also committing to doing one dare on darebee every day. Will post it here so others can join me if they want to.
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Daily dare: 60 second calf raise hold
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My discipline was horrible this past weekend. We went on a family day-cation and I had another big burger from Chili's. Actually this one was bigger cause I added bacon and onion rings. Mmm, it was deee-licous. And I had so many late evenings that I have not worked out since last Wednesday.

But I'm not giving up. I like @plainanjelik 's self-challenge. I don't think I'll make 300 minutes this week, but I can shoot for at least 225. My steps have been lacking badly, so I know I need to "step up" in that department (pun intended). Let's say 70,000.

I still have lost no additional lbs, and this weekend did not help. Last Wed and Thur I was feeling really good and slim, but I forgot to step on the scale, so i don't know for sure if I lost weight and then destroyed my progress with a Chili's feast. Oh, and breakfast feast at this great local spot.

May you all be successful in your endeavors.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Pretty mushrooms! Never seen any like that! I've only seen pretty plain ones around here.
    I had to look up calf leg raises. I can do that! Please keep posting the challenges.
    I go to 3 60 minute classes right now, so I think it would be sad for me to commit to 240 minutes exercise. I can surely find one more class.
    Or maybe walk 30 minutes a couple of days.
    A daycation sounds great! I need one of those occasionally.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    @Fyreside — I’m about to get back into the exercise swing of things too. Lets try to post everyday this week and upcoming and maybe keep each other going. I think I’m ready to take on serious training again.

I love the red mushrooms, that’s a Fly Agaric. It’s probably the easiest mushroom for me to identify anyway. :-)

• Fyreside
    Options
    @Fyreside —Lets try to post everyday this week and upcoming and maybe keep each other going.

Good plan, I'm on-board with that.
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Hey everyone! Hope you all had a good day. I didn't have enough time to pack my lunch today so went to Chop't and got a salad. It's a good 20 minute walk from work but despite the cold (to me. Probably the only one dressed like they were in the tundra in 46°F weather) I walked there and back when I normally would have driven. So knocked out 40 mins of exercise there. Also did a 16 minute workout at home then went to my 45 minute karate session. I was so tired I almost didn't go to my karate class (as in got ready for bed and about to crawl in at 7:45pm but pushed myself to just get it done) Hoping to keep the momentum going the rest of the week.

Steps taken: 17,345/84,000
    Exercise minutes: 101/300
    Diary complete: 1/7
    Days under calorie goal: 1/7
    Daily dare complete: 1/7
  • plainanjelik
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    Daily dare: 40 side to side ape hops.

This one may not be good for those with knee issues so maybe side to side skips in semi squat may be a good modification.

https://darebee.com/hive/daily-dares/421733-dd-14-november-2017-40-side-to-side-ape-hops

Here's the link to the exercise so you can see how it's done.

Hope everyone has a good day! :D
  • MmamabearR
    Options
    I don't do good with hops and jumps. My right knee acts up from time to time. I don't remember what I did to it back in high school, but ever since then, my knee decides to be a pain.

I was so exhausted yesterday, I did not work out. So now I'm going to do a 15 min workout during lunch everyday to catch up.

Steps taken: 21,377/70,000
    Exercise minutes: 15/225
    Diary complete: 2/7
    Days under calorie goal: 2/7

BTW - those mushroom pics are absolutely gorgeous. The only thing we have around here is dirt :/
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Hey everyone. TOM driving me crazy today. Diary got trashed but still was able to get some exercise today. It's 6:30pm and I'm in bed with a hot water bottle. :(

Steps taken: 29,364/84,000
    Exercise minutes: 156/300
    Diary complete: 1/7
    Days under calorie goal: 1/7
    Daily dare complete: 2/7
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Daily post Tuesday. Hi all. I had a midnight whoopsie last night and 950cal later... :/ So today I let myself have a morning coffee and a lunch meal and will fast till tomorrow to balance the books. I did a very token 10min in the gym.. Which I really need to up because I can feel my arms going soft, which is a shame as plenty of work went into that muscle.

@plainanjelik I got the calf raise challenge done, but these knees don't hop or squat lol :D I'll see if I can make up the difference on the weight machine doing extensions.
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    Aww’ @plainanjelik — I feel bad for ya. My go to is coffee flavored ice cream (and cokes and french fries — I am trying to do a little better!)

@MmamabearR — jumping? Was that the challenge this week? I don’t jump either. :( Mushrooms turn out to be very picky about what tree bark or dead leaves or moss they grow on. It’s probably safer to live in an area where everything isn’t actively molding - also typhoon season is here and the storms.

@Fyreside — Get in the exercise today? I got in my circuit training at 90 minutes. Spin bike, weights, situps, hill climbing, elliptical and treadmill. I asked Burly if we could start a thread to start an exercise streak. Day 1 for me :D I hope to keep going until New Years Day. I was surprised at your mushroom pic to see a fern. I always think of Australia as very dry.

I was playing Zombies, Run! today while on the dreadmill (see: typhoon season) and it was talking about how civilization always rebuilds, and despite how terrible people can be to one another and the environment we still manage to push on, build amazing things, discover awesome stuff and keep rebuilding, and it’s okay to restart because restarting is what we humans do.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    @Fyreside — Get in the exercise today? I got in my circuit training at 90 minutes. Spin bike, weights, situps, hill climbing, elliptical and treadmill. I asked Burly if we could start a thread to start an exercise streak. Day 1 for me :D I hope to keep going until New Years Day. I was surprised at your mushroom pic to see a fern. I always think of Australia as very dry.

I did hit the gym, but it was a bit half hearted, nothing to be proud of.. I will up my game :)
    Aus is a bit like continental USA in reverse. The northern tip is tropical and it goes through subtropical down to temperate in the south. Most of the continent is desert, but down the east coast, only a couple of hundred miles inland is a large mountain range called the Great dividing range. East of that is quite lush and where most Aussies live. My property and the City I alternatively stay in are atop the range itself. Approximately halfway down the East Coast. Up North on the Cape York peninsular (next to great barrier reef) is just full blown Jungle, as jungly as anywhere I've ever been or seen on the planet.

My property is in a dry sclerophyll forest alpine region After much searching I found a picture that illustrates the natural flora. We do have dry spells, even droughts around here. The grass gets brown and tinder dry and we fear bushfires. But much of the time it looks like this. This is the state border about 2miles from my property.
    6459112019_833778ac30_b.jpg
    There is a lot of cleared farm land around here, but over the border in that photo is a state forest that is what the whole place would have looked like before clearing.

My place is different again, it's a special case. The whole district I'm in was a failed farm forestry attempt. The local shire council bought up a farm and local mom&pop investors bought parcels of land, the whole lot was planted with radiata pine, which is a human made hybrid of a small pine native to California and a tall pine from New Zealand.
    So it doesn't look much like Aussie bush at all.
    Pick from last year looking nice n green.
    c01eae5ce6fde19ff9e6036eb774760b.jpg
    This year, dry spell 3months with no rain leading up to Spring.
    1b4c28fdbe53749c2ccacd706c22b2e0.jpg

And because this post is already huge, I might as well post one more pic. The plateu I'm on is the only place in Australia outside of the Snowy Mountains way down south, where it snows.. Not much, but once a year if I'm lucky, it looks like this.
    69ea3244dc28342f02a658b30a75c774.jpg

Sorry about the huge post all.. The keto has kicked in and I've got so much energy I'm bouncing off the walls here hahaha. nite.

• MmamabearR
    Options
    Wow! Trees! Now there's something I don't see every day :D I love the snow.

@OregonRunner5 today's challenge was hopping or something but if both my feet have to leave the ground at the same time, I consider it a jump.

I finished today strong:
    Steps taken 28,535/70,000
    Exercise minutes 62/225
    Diary complete 3/7
    Days under calories 3/7
  • Fyreside
    edited November 2017
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »

I just looked at your profile and I see you're in Texas.. And I have to admit, I have no real idea what Texas is like. Everytime I think I have an idea of it, I see something different. But if I had to guess, I think it has everything from beaches to desert and rocky mountain escarpments with light woodland.. is that about right?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »

I just looked at your profile and I see you're in Texas.. And I have to admit, I have no real idea what Texas is like. Everytime I think I have an idea of it, I see something different. But if I had to guess, I think it has everything from beaches to desert and rocky mountain escarpments with light woodland.. is that about right?

Pretty close, if you call 8,000 foot tall hills 'mountains' like they do around here. We actually have some real woodland in the eastern parts of Texas - the Piney Woods - as well as swamp land down on the borders near Louisiana. Pretty varied landscape through out the state and, depending on where in the state you are, pretty varied weather conditions to go with it. Snow in the north, hurricanes in the south and pretty dry/arid conditions in the west.

But, back on topic, no logging the last 2 days (I am afraid to see how much damage I have done). Will log everything today, if I eat - I may do an extended fast to get things back on track. Have done some exercises but will also up the ante on these as well.
  • plainanjelik
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone. Daily dare for today is 10 archer pushups. See link for instructions. Have a great day!

https://darebee.com/hive/daily-dares/422110-dd-15-november-2017-10-archer-push-ups
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    Hey I love the photos and long post @Fyreside, I think the more we post and post about our lives the more tight knit and supportive our group becomes which is pretty awesome! The pics look a lot like Eastern Oregon but I didn’t recognize the pine, it almost looked like the drought hardy Ponderosa but it’s more compact, a hybrid makes sense. Interesting!

Oh’ we’re doing Darbee? I love those sheets, I have a bunch printed out for my wee weights. I’ll have to look at the push ups my shoulder / arm game is very weak. I have noodle arms, part of that from an injury. Meh. Need to work on it though for sure.

Day 2 of the exercise streak for me!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »

And oil wells,and oil trucks, and oil ships. May not be natural, but definitely part of th landscape.

Your pictures are beautiful.
    I'm from a farm background(Oklahoma wheat), so it took me a while to appreciate that type of landscape.

Was in Corpus Christi many years ago when all the natives went absolutely crazy! All the shop owners came out on th street, cars pulled over and stopped. They were all saying "snow, it's snow" pointing it out to kids. I don't know what it was because it melted before it got down to us, but it wasn't snow. Maybe sleet? Baby,baby hail? Not soft, billowing snow for sure, but we didn't burst their bubble, just let them enjoy their awe.