VSG to RN-Y

KCSF
KCSF Posts: 49 Member
I had a sleeve done in March of 2014 and it went well. I got down to the goal weight that they set for me and maintained it for 2 years. I have had problems with ulcers my whole life and a little over year ago my throat started to bother me. It would hurt and I would lose my voice. I saw 2 different ENT doctors and 2 gastro doctors. They did a barrage of tests, tried different medications, and finally decided that they were pretty sure that GERD that was causing my symptoms. They referred me back to my sleeve surgeon and he scheduled me for RN-Y in January. He said that he is 70% sure that this will alleviate my symptoms.

For those who have had the conversion, what do you do different than what you did with the sleeve?

Any recommendation after going through a 2nd procedure?

Did you lose more weight?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    I’m sorry you need a conversion! I also developed GERD after my VSG and will be having a hiatal hernia fixed for the second time next month (it was fixed during my VSG but didn’t hold) in hopes of getting rid of the GERD.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    OMG! I’m finally not alone!! First, I’m so sorry for your experience with reflux!

I had VSG in 2010, and three moths post op I began to reflux bile! I did lose weight, but the reflux was terrible!! I finally convinced my new surgeon (my original wasn’t there anymore!) to do the RNY, since (as a nurse) I knew that it would be the only way to stop the bile from getting into my stomach!! So, in January, 2015, I had it done! Bile problem fixed, and yes, I lost more weight! Though I went to a ketogenic diet right after reintroducing solid food, and have stayed there! BUT, I’ve had problems with ulcers since then (twice, had to cut out the first one last December, and now have another!)! So, take the medicine forever! The GERD is not going away! My new medicine regime is Protonix, and Zantac two times a day (that I’d already been on) and liquid Carafate (the only change since I’d been on the pills since last years ulcer!) five times a day! And I have an agreement with my surgeon to do an endoscopy to put eyes on it every few months to be sure it’s getting better!

What I’ve learned the most from having both is you cannot eat the same foods as you did before surgery and expect to keep the weight off! I’m unable to exercise due to physical limitations (another long story that doesn’t go here). So, I learned that a diet modification was going to be life long if I wanted to keep the weight off! I love being ketogenic! It works for me! I’ve been able to maintain a 150lb loss for almost three years now! Even had a tummy tuck, and breast lift in August, 2016 that has been awesome!!

Wishing the best for you! I’m available if you want to send me a friend request since I don’t always have time to make it to my groups! Hugs!!
  • thechadtx
    thechadtx Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2017
    I didn't have the conversion, but I lived with reflux for 20+ years...I feel (felt) your pain. It was also reason numero uno for me having RNY instead of VSG when we weighed the pros and cons. He also had to repair an hiatal hernia while he was in there, as well as fixing part of my esophagus. I can HAPPILY tell you I've had ZERO heartburn/reflux issues since surgery. That's 86 days with no episodes. 86 days without waking up with a nose and mouth full of crap. 86 days without eating TUMS like they were skittles. 86 days of bliss. :)

I hope your conversion goes smoothly and you can continue your journey without anymore interruptions. Best of luck! :)
  • KCSF
    KCSF Posts: 49 Member
    thechadtx wrote: »
    I didn't have the conversion, but I lived with reflux for 20+ years...I feel (felt) your pain. It was also reason numero uno for me having RNY instead of VSG when we weighed the pros and cons. He also had to repair an hiatal hernia while he was in there, as well as fixing part of my esophagus. I can HAPPILY tell you I've had ZERO heartburn/reflux issues since surgery. That's 86 days with no episodes. 86 days without waking up with a nose and mouth full of crap. 86 days without eating TUMS like they were skittles. 86 days of bliss. :)

I hope your conversion goes smoothly and you can continue your journey without anymore interruptions. Best of luck! :)

Thanks Chad! Me too!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I don’t believe the knowledge about GERD and VSG not being compatible was there yet when I had my VSG. I imagine my experience has been used to keep others from making the same mistake.

I wish the RNY had eliminated the reflux for me too, but I didn’t get that lucky. I will have to use all of the medicines (that I hate due to the side effects of kidney damage and dementia!) for life. But I’m happy that it does help some people!