Question about glyburide

Options
swebb1103
swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
I will be talking to my doctor as well, but thought I would ask here if anyone has experience with this: my doc dropped my Glyburide from 5mg to 2.5. Since then, my fasting levels have risen slightly, but I am no longer having the crashes after I exercise. Has anyone ever taken a higher dose at night and a lower dose in the morning, and if so, did it work? I want to have as tight of control as possible...
I have a message in to my doc as well, just looking for real experience...

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    When you say fasting levels, are you only checking them first thing in the morning? Many people experience a dawn effect which is when the levels rise temporarily on first awakening to get you up and moving. Try checking your levels in the middle of the night and see if they are the same. There's no reason to worry too much about dawn effect, it only lasts for a short time and doesn't have much impact on your A1c.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    By the way, I've never been on Glyburide, I was on Glimeperide which is similar to Glyburide, except without the heart issues. If I were you I would ask your doctor why he picked that particular drug since it does cause heart problems. It's sort of an old school drug and there are newer alternatives which are less dangerous.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    When you say fasting levels, are you only checking them first thing in the morning? Many people experience a dawn effect which is when the levels rise temporarily on first awakening to get you up and moving. Try checking your levels in the middle of the night and see if they are the same. There's no reason to worry too much about dawn effect, it only lasts for a short time and doesn't have much impact on your A1c.

Hmm. I might be tempted to find fault with the A1c as a good way to measure BG if it fails to reflect significant spikes....
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My morning fasting levels have risen, yes. The rest of my numbers have remained pretty consistent.
    I will ask about why I am on Glyburide at my next visit. I did not know about the possible heart issues.