yogurt carbs myth or fact?

Options
I've been missing my plain full fat greek yogurt in a big way but the carb count is too high to fit my macros. Recently I read an article that claims the active bacteria in yogurt consumes the lactose, converting it to lactic acid, making the true carb count significantly less than what's listed on the nutritional label.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences with this.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've read articles supporting each side so I don't know what to believe but I often have about 1/2 cup of Fage total Greek yogurt and it's never affected me adversely.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I too have read the same (both ways). My carbs are set to 50 so even a cup of Greek yogurt is easy for me to fit in. Even at 20 daily carbs I could make it fit with some planning. Are you eating things with miscellaneous carbs that are adding up? I don't eat that much with misc carbs. Very little such as cold cuts or sausages. The Greek yogurt I eat has 9 or 10 carbs per cup.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've read that, it makes sense and I love yogurt so I CHOOSE to believe... and I've not had any adverse effects either. I make my own yogurt, so even less carb concern there.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat plain Greek yogurt almost every day. There are several brands with 7g or less carbs per serving. Aldi has a full fat one that is about 6g per serving (160 cal). BJs is nonfat I believe and has 5g per 6oz serving. Upstate Farms (nonfat) is 6g per serving (100).
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the new Activia Pure every now and then. It hasn't effected me. Its only 7g of carbs per 100g cup so I can make room for it in my day if the rest of the day is going well.
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the ‘choose to believe’ response. At 15 carbs for a 1 cup serving it doesn’t leave enough wiggle room for all of the healthy foods I need to be eating. I average 20 net grams in veggies per day so have to be careful. The bacteria theory makes sense but it may have to be an every once in a while treat.

• ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The main thing is to find your carb comfort zone where you still lose weight according to Dr. Stephen Finney. He says that could be 50g daily for some and 20 for others. He also recommended eating full fat greek yougurt.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You could only eat half a cup of your yogurt, or stretch it with heavy cream(maybe whipped too), cream cheese, sour cream. Idk if you have already tried to find a different yogurt with fewer carbs, but that may help.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat sour cream like yogurt. I found Lifeway Kefir Cup the other day at Kroger. Haven't tried it yet, but it's the plain one and lists 7 carbs, 1 fiber.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat sour cream like yogurt. I found Lifeway Kefir Cup the other day at Kroger. Haven't tried it yet, but it's the plain one and lists 7 carbs, 1 fiber.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The carb counts on yogurt keep me away. I'm satisfied with a serving of ricotta mixed with a little sweetener and cinnamon and vanilla.