Happy I found this Group - I have so many concerns and questions

Options
DawnCumm
DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
I had lap-band surgery around ten years ago but it was put in wrong and has caused some issues based on pieces coming off, etc. It was removed six days ago along with repair due to the parts floating around my body for who knows how long. My surgeon plans to do the RNY in about a month if all goes well. So that is my story, but I am concerned about hair, skin, long term impacts. I still want to proceed just want to do all I can to ward off these concerns. I am 56, 250lbs with very thin hair so I figure my bouncing back as others have may not be as effective due to age.

I hope to pose questions as I go along, looking for great bariatric recipe ideas and guidance from those who have been there/done that.
D

Replies

• Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had the sleeve almost 16 months ago.

I know that for the first six months I had significant hair loss. I cried over it - seriously, it was bad but not bad enough that it made me regret my decision. At 6 months the hair loss totally stopped and my hair is back to the super thick hair I had before surgery. I'm only being honest because everything definitely isn't rainbows and unicorns on this journey!

I'm 32 - I started working out 3 weeks after surgery w/cardio and about 2 months in I started strength training. I go to the gym 4 or 5x a week for at least an hour each time and unfortunately my skin isn't as attractive as I'd like it to be. My arms have lots of muscle but the sagging skin hides it. You have to put it in perspective. Would you rather have the loose skin or the weight? I'm SOOOO much happier than I was at 280lbs even with the excess skin.

My mom is 61 and had the sleeve in October. She was worried about being able to bounce back - but she's been doing great! She goes to the gym with me a couple days a week....and her eating is progressing perfectly - no issues!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 54, I had the sleeve over 4 years ago. My recovery went exceptionally well. I didn't have much hair loss at all. If I didn't tell anyone I lost a bit of hair they wouldn't have noticed. I made sure I started walking while I was still in the hospital and exercise has been a regular part of my life since. I do cardio about 5 times a week, strength about 3 times a week, and yoga twice a week. I feel amazing. I started off at 386 lbs so I definitely have issues with loose skin, but like @Lizakabibbis said, I would rather have the loose skin than the weight. I have learned to dress for the issues I have with sagging skin. I considered plastic surgery but it's super expensive for the extensive amount I would need, and the recovery would take weeks, and I can't afford to be off work that long. After 4 years I still have most of the restriction I had after I healed, my hair and skin and nails are great - maybe because I still stick to a high protein diet and take all my vitamins. If you follow the recommendations of your surgeon's program, you should do just fine.
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn, I am 50 years old, post op lap band 4 years. I did hear that the band lasts about 10 years and I was wondering what happens after it's removed. Do people choose to not have another WLS or get another band. I guess I won't worry about it right now. I have been doing well with my band. Although I did spend a lot of time in the 200's and now in the upper 180's. I had an adjustment and now I'm in the green. Hair loss was a big issue for me as well. I have thin hair to begin with and had to use cover ups. I used to get really nervous about rain or sweat because I didn't want black streaks running from my hair onto my for head. Nope, could not blame that on mascara.
  • DawnCumm
    DawnCumm Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I have made up my mind to go on the journey. going to do all I can to keep up my health with the knowledge that my already very thin hair may get worse and skin will of course be a issue. I believe the journey is worth it considering I am 100lbs over weight. The rest will just have to be something I manage. Appreciate you insights.