New to keto.. Need help with monster cravings.

Options
Fyreside
Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
Hi all, new to keto and new to the group here. Over the last 18months I made substantial dietary changes and significant reductions in my carb intake. but a bit over a week ago I decided to go keto and see what it's like. I've been ketogenic for a solid week now. I have the lots of energy thing, I'm losing weight at a similar rate to previous weeks and generally I'm enthused about pressing on and doing a good few months of keto. But the cravings I'm having are just beastly. And I think I need to reach out for some help or find some answers before they erode my resolve completely.

Background info.. I'm 274lb My daily calorie target is 1600 and my diary is open to view. I log dilligently and precisely.
I started this weight loss push at 304lb and my goal is 220 by March. Where I am very much looking forward to changing to a maintenance diet.

So my questions is.. Am I missing something? I could just about tear the door trims off the walls right now and eat them. Will this pass, or do I need to change something?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    it will pass, keep doing it and also hunger will pass if you are having enough fats which is why lots of us end up doing Intermittent Fasting as well. We just don't get that hungry. eg I ate last night about 19.30 and it's 11.45 now and I'm just beginning to think maybe coffee and cream. Good luck and stick at it.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary. You have been consistently lacking on your proteins and fats. You need to start eating up to your protein recommendation and eat more fat to help you sustain throughout the day. It's important to keep your carbs low, but it's more important to eat enough to sustain you.

Also, your caloric goal keeps changing? Why? You should only change it when you go down about 10 pounds. Find out what your maintenance intake should be and set your caloric intake under that amount. There's a whole thing about TDEE and BMR which I do not understand. But you can find a good keto calculator at ruled.me Then set your Carb to 5%, Protein to 30% and Fat to 65% and eat up to your protein per day. Then see if that helps with the cravings.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    ETA: I took another look. So it appears you have been following your daily requirements. My bad. I just looked at the "Daily Goals" and saw that your totals were under. You can change your goals in MFP if you didn't know that. Just go to My Home, Goals, Edit Daily Nutrition Goals and enter all the info.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

@Jigglypuff00 I've changed the daily macro goals in MFP to 70/25/5 And I think I'm eating the right levels of each.. Just, as you noticed not as much as MFP says I could. The reason for my change in daily goals is that I'm not very good at pacing myself. I just want to see results so I went in guns blazing to start with. My BMR is about 2150. MFP said I should eat 1720 per day to lose at a healthy rate. And I of course thought nah. I'll just try for 1200 and watch the weight fall off.. Which it did for about 6 weeks, then stalled. After 2 weeks of stall I decided to seek a more sustainable approach and up my daily to 1500.. Then I started keto and found it hard to stay under 1600.

And thats where I'm at now. I do have a fitness tracker with heart rate. And I haven't been eating back my exercise calories. If I were to read between the lines, based on what you and others have said, I probably just need to eat more. Is that about right?
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Yes. Try changing your protein macro goal to 30 and lower your fat to 65. Then eat up to your protein. Keep your carbs low as you've been doing. And try MFP for your caloric goal. You say it gives you 1720. So try that for a week and see how you do. If that is below your maintenance level, you should be good. The whole idea of weight loss keto is you do NOT go hungry. Or crave. The cravings should subside soon, as long as your body feels nourished.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Ok cool. Thanks, that gives me some positive options to work on. Appreciated.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, my first bite to eat came at 12.15pm this afternoon. Dinner last night was at 7.00pm.... 15 hours is ok by me.
    I could have gone further, but I went round to Mother's and she had a bite ready to eat, for me....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Yes. A little more protein/less fats helps some.

The thing I don't like about the Ruled.me calc is that you have to do multiple calculations to find your protein range. Protein is a range. If you are not diabetic or have any other medical issues requiring a "medical" keto ratio, then more protein is better and supportive of retaining muscle mass. Which is what you want. It also helps you feel more full. At these amounts, gluconeogenesis, even if it weren't demand-driven, wouldn't give you problems with ketosis. Athletes can eat even more.

From your diary you look like you aren't sedentary. So you should get .8g to 1.2g of protein per g of lean body mass (LBM). I, who am pretty darn active, hang out in the middle at 1g per LBM. The "ankerl keto" calculator or the Ketogains calculators will give you estimates. You can do this with the Ruled.me one, but you have to adjust the protein at the top and bottom (.8 and 1.2) and calculate each separately to find the floor and ceiling of your particular stats. Not mind-bogglingly difficult, but it's an extra step that should be taken.
    • Carbs are a ceiling.
    • Protein is a range (based on height, weight, activity level).
    • Fats fill the rest to satiety. Or to calorie counter's reckoning, fills the rest of your calories.

I kept between a 60-65% fat percentage when I was keto for 1.5 years. I did better overall with sustainability and exercise with higher protein.
    HTH. :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I agree with the more protein and less fat suggestions.
    Also, even though you’ve been lower carb for a while, you Amy have and mostly did have a decent amount of sodium loss this past week and low sodium can drive cravings for sugar and hunger in general. It can also cause insulin to rise because with higher insulin, you retain more sodium... your body will do whatever it needs to do to get sodium or prevent further losses. If that means you have horrendous cravings for a whole chocolate cake, so be it. That would create enough sodium retention to fix the issue and that’s the bottom line.
    So supplement sodium every day and you may find the cravings are at least dulled.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    From your diary you look like you aren't sedentary. So you should get .8g to 1.2g of protein per g of lean body mass (LBM). I, who am pretty darn active, hang out in the middle at 1g per LBM. The "ankerl keto" calculator or the Ketogains calculators will give you estimates.

She meant .8g to 1.2 g of protein per kg of lean body mass.

I second baconslave's recommendation of the ketogains calculator.
    Also Sunny_bunny's advice on supplementing esp. sodium.

Good luck on sorting yourself out.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice folks. I've adjusted my target macros for more protein and will find a way to increase sodium. I had read 3000 to 5000 units of sodium per day on keto is ideal. The huge ironys are of course that I just spent the entire last year getting my sodium intake down from about that much lol.. And when I first started planning some keto meals, the protein was always higher than I thought I wanted it to be.. So I should be able to settle into a better plan without too much effort. So this week I plan to do the above as well as relax my daily cal goal to 1700. Will see how I'm feeling next weekend :)

P.S I will check out the calculators mentioned as well. You know I must say, I did a lot of reading before going into this, and you all have put some things in much clearer terms than any of it. For all the good info out there, there is a lot of eat fat, get thin general hype to get through. So it's great to have access to people with experience.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    From your diary you look like you aren't sedentary. So you should get .8g to 1.2g of protein per g of lean body mass (LBM). I, who am pretty darn active, hang out in the middle at 1g per LBM. The "ankerl keto" calculator or the Ketogains calculators will give you estimates.

I second baconslave's recommendation of the ketogains calculator.
    Also Sunny_bunny's advice on supplementing esp. sodium.

Good luck on sorting yourself out.

Yeah I did mean that. I was darn sure I had that "k" in there. :rage: Oh well...that's what I get for posting before the entire first coffee has been consumed. :wink:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    high fat, high fiber works best for me. Butter, coconut milk, goat milk, coconut cream, oils, seafoods with herbs and veggies....

also, read this for thought, though I'm sure you're aware, the article explains the addiction of carbs really well and why we need fat:
    http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/the-whole-grain-lie/
  • Fyreside
    Options
    high fat, high fiber works best for me. Butter, coconut milk, goat milk, coconut cream, oils, seafoods with herbs and veggies....

also, read this for thought, though I'm sure you're aware, the article explains the addiction of carbs really well and why we need fat:
    http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/the-whole-grain-lie/

Thanks, looks like an interesting read. I broke my carb addiction about a year ago, and I think it was harder than quitting smoking. :/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @retirehappy

140 pounds (me) divided by 2.2 = 63.64 kg of body weight.

If I happened to be 30% body fat that gives me 70% lean body mass.

63.64kg of body weight x.7 = 44.5 kg of lean body mass.

44.5 kg of lean body mass x .8 = 35.6 grams of protein.

44.5kg of lean body mass x 1.2 = 53.4 grams of protein.

That range of 35-53 grams of protein is right down there with the RDI which I think is pretty low. I'm not disputing it I'm just wondering if you really meant a range of .8 - 1.2 grams of protein per POUND of lean body mass which for me at 140 POUNDS would be a range of 78-117 grams of protein?
    From your diary you look like you aren't sedentary.So you should get .8g to 1.2g of protein per g of lean body mass (LBM). I, who am pretty darn active, hang out in the middle at 1g per LBM. The "ankerl keto" calculator or the Ketogains calculators will give you estimates.

ETA: I actually prefer lower protein when it comes to foods but given even the higher number of 53 grams of protein, 53x4 calories per gram is only 212 calories. That would be slightly under 15% of my daily calories amount. It is so unusual to read suggestions that low for protein in the forum...or maybe my math is incorrect.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Just a quick followup to this thread. It's now 10 days later. I did increase my daily cal intake and relax the limits I was putting on protein a little. I must admit, as I'm still quite new to LCHF, my control over the macro's is not very precise.. But the bottom line here is I have for one reason or another moved beyond the monster cravings. Whether from those changes or just settling into keto, or a bit of both. I'm now very comfortably back to eating near to the lower end of my ideal window and my satiety levels are great.

Thanks again to everyone for the support and suggestions.

Great, it's always good when things begin to come together and it is a different way of eating so can take a while to adjust and for your body get used to being fed different food. Good luck.