Breakfast!

Hey there! Been on keto just a few days now and I'm wondering if anyone has any simple breakfast ideas other than eggs/bacon.. I do love both but I'm starting to feel sick from having it every morning :/

And ideas appreciated, thank you!!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Any food ever. I like dinner leftovers. protein bars or shakes...ham/turkey/salami/pepperoni with cheese and pickles...

It really just depends. Make deviled eggs instead of scrambled. Do sausage instead of bacon. Make scotch eggs...

Literally ANYTHING can be different...
  • alyssaxorose
    alyssaxorose Posts: 3 Member
    Good point! I think I'm just stuck in the mindset of 'this is breakfast food'.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Good point! I think I'm just stuck in the mindset of 'this is breakfast food'.

You may also find that after a little while you don't actually feel hungry in the morning and breakfast becomes a thing of the past, unless you are someone like my husband who would think the world had come to an end without his breakfast!! Just listen to you body and it may tell you that you just aren't hungry and remember breakfast is just that, breaking your overnight fast (unless you sneaked up and raided the fridge >:) ) So anything you fancy eating within the parameters is fine.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    @chinatowninchina I'm with your hubby! I like my breakfast foods! So much that I prepare bacon and eggs in the morning, stick it in the fridge at work, and heat back up at lunchtime. It just doesn't feel right skipping them! LOL!
  • alyssaxorose
    alyssaxorose Posts: 3 Member
    I'm always hungry lol! Hopefully that will change as time goes on. Thanks for the suggestions!!
  • Jigglypuff00
    It will. Your body just needs to get used to your new way of eating.

I am like you. I actually like my breakfast foods to be breakfast foods. I know I can eat whatever I want whenever I want. But basically the only things I can eat for breakfast now are bacon or sausage/ham and eggs. No more pancakes. No more toast. No more cereal. I could have a salad for breakfast, but that just seems so wrong! I will probably attempt to make keto pancakes this weekend. I hope I like them. Plus 90 second bread. I love having bacon and eggs, but even I'm getting a little burnt out on them!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Cream cheese pancakes, or ones with almond/coconut flour are totally a thing...

Soul bread as toast is amazing...

N'oatmeal is an oatmeal knock off...

Y'all are sooo needing a google intervention.

Search for literally anything with the word keto in front of it, and if someone has made it or tried it, gotten close to flavor or texture, it will be out there! <3
  • Jigglypuff00
    LOL @KnitOrMiss ! I live in a very secluded part of the world! It's hard enough finding almond flour around here! No trader joes, no whole foods. I'm trying though!
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    @Jigglypuff00 It'ssuper easy to make your own almond flour or almond meal! For almond flour, just throw some blanched slivered almonds in the blender; for almond meal, blend up whole almonds. I just use almond meal whenever a recipe calls for almond flour; it's just a little chunkier and has brown in it instead of pure white, but the end result is the same and it's cheaper.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Also, @Jigglypuff00 - Also, Amazon will becomes a lifesaver, then, for you! Especially if you can do a subscribe and save order - or an amazon pantry order - both offer large discounts!

Cream cheese pancakes are mostly just eggs and cream cheese.

Soul bread uses protein powder, not almond meal.

N'oatmeal is more about hemp hearts and chia, if I remember...
  • keto_strong
    keto_strong Posts: 32 Member
    I'm a smoothie lover. Unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 an avocado, a cup of greens, MCT oil and a bit of Stevia whipped up in a Vitamix is my go to although there are lots of delicious variations!

I tried skipping breakfast as part of my IF but workouts really suffered. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong .. from what I've read, most people that are adapted don't have this issue.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Pancakes were never what called to me. It was the maple syrup. I could easily skip the pancakes/calories and have a dab of sugar free maple syrup on a piece of sausage and be happy.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    If I eat breakfast, which is not often, it is nearly always cold steak or burgers that were left over from the night before. I don't ever want eggs in the morning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I'm a smoothie lover. Unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 an avocado, a cup of greens, MCT oil and a bit of Stevia whipped up in a Vitamix is my go to although there are lots of delicious variations!

I tried skipping breakfast as part of my IF but workouts really suffered. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong .. from what I've read, most people that are adapted don't have this issue.

@keto_strong - True fat adaption can take 6 months or longer, depending on how you workout, eat, fuel, refuel, etc. Many people can workout fasted, but for those with any sort of metabolic compromised systems, it isn't recommended. It can increase stress on the body and put it into more of a fight-or-flight response, limiting weight loss ability and such...

Protein is needed for your body to build new muscle mitochondria than can function on ketones... I believe it is the book called "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance," by Phinney and Volek that has the best info on this process...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2017
    Might workouts be suffering due to lack of sodium? A hit of ~1000mg is often recommended pre-workout. I wouldn't be a believer had I not personally experienced the benefits. Mine is a bit of logic though - speedy outdoor walk on a hot summer day. It helped immensely though. @keto_strong
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    2oz marscapone cheese
    2oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    Sugar sub if you prefer sweet
    Pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon

Fry in butter, turn very carefully.

My fave low carb pancakes.
  • Jigglypuff00
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Might workouts be suffering due to lack of sodium? A hit of ~1000mg is often recommended pre-workout. I wouldn't be a believer had I not personally experienced the benefits. Mine is a bit of logic though - speedy outdoor walk on a hot summer day. It helped immensely though. @keto_strong

I didn't believe y'all! I thought I was good with my sodium and it was lack of protein that made me sluggish and weak. I upped my sodium even more. Finally feeling like my old self again! I'll never doubt y'all again!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Yay!!