(Phase2) Week 1 Discussion -- Staying On Track, Tips You've Learned

Options
2»

Replies

• OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    @Fyreside - I'm still on an exercise streak but had to start over, I think I'm at day 4 and I'm on day 3 of my IF with eating from 3-7 - my only modification is I take stomach medicine during the day and it's not zero calorie but it's the best I can do, I have to take my supplements (but I'm feeling really good today!). I think upcoming maybe we should do a point system and maybe 'total exercise minutes' for the week. Maybe give a bonus for working out every day during the week.

I was thinking of awarding silly graphics, like the gold crown award, gold star, gold sneaker? and the super lovely FRUIT BASKET of the week. But I'm super silly like that and as an artist sometimes my ideas are a little left field.

It's everyone here that makes this group and makes it great but it's also kinda hard to retain folks because they get discouraged or real life intervenes, or they get ill, so you know - good ideas let's hear 'em. :-)
  • Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @plainanjelik I do love older cars, they can be easier to maintain than the new computers on wheels.. But it sounds like your's is getting tired. Hope you find something nice to upgrade to.
    And yes, I knew TDEE would be something I knew.. I just couldn't place it lol. Thanks :) I also trend towards not eating extra earned calories.. I try to treat them as bonus weight loss instead.

@MmamabearR So glad you are still motivated and with the group. I've just set up a decent sized TV in my gym area, will have to check out some workouts now.

@OregonRunner5 I think some awards will be great.. And due to our geographical distribution.. Something that can be delivered via the net sounds ideal. I just hope you folks will be cool with some Aussie bloke scooping all the prizes every week. hehehe.

With the IF.. I've done a lot of reading about it lately.. Trying to work out what the hard and fast basic rules are. People have different approaches, but most seem to agree that small calorie intakes during one's fasting time are fine. Things like the occasional hot beverage or some fast absorbing protein like yogurt in small quantities wont do your fast any harm. The main thing to avoid being sugar and carbs, as they are ready energy sources. I think the key thing is, if you are doing it right, it will feel right.. Ideally one shouldn't be fighting cravings all day.
  • plainanjelik
    plainanjelik Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    @OregonRunner5 Prizes sound like an awesome idea.

I was in a challenge on MFP last summer that did an Amazing race style format. Group members were split into teams (there were about 100 people participating) and the goal was to get to get to a new 'destination' around the glove via exercise minutes. Every minute equals a mile so if you were going from Miami to Rio de Janiero and that was 2000 miles then each team needed to get at least 2000 minutes of exercise as a group. There were caos on how many minutes of exercise per person would count so no one person was holding the teams weight. We also did mini challenges for extra points based on the destination of the week and learned a little about the culture. That had to be my favorite challenge because it was so competitive with something new to look forward to each week but I don't even want to imagine how much work it was to put together and maintain. Hope they do it again sometime.

I was thinking along those lines we could set an exercise goal as a group and all contribute to reaching the goal at the end of the week. What do you think?
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Stats for today:

Steps taken: 51638/84000
    Exercise minutes: 347/300 woohoo!!
    Diary complete: 3/7
    Days under calorie goal: 0/7
    Days under TDEE: 3/7
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Doing a quick daily post before I fall down and catch some zzz.. Got what I'd call the bare minimum workout done today. But I'm going to count it because anything that gets me into the target heart rate for 20-30mins is good.

Streak day 4

Hey @plainanjelik I did read your post up there, but my eyes are all blurry and I'm not thinking straight.. will circle back tomorrow. :)
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    Migraine today is developing so going to have to eat soon to take some pills for that, ack. But I did measure today and I've lost 2 inches off my waist, huzzah!. Be back tomorrow or whenever my head gets better *waves*
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Migraine today is developing so going to have to eat soon to take some pills for that, ack. But I did measure today and I've lost 2 inches off my waist, huzzah!. Be back tomorrow or whenever my head gets better *waves*

Big congrats on the missing inches. Hope your head calms down nice and quickly for you.
  • meat513
    meat513 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone glad to back!! Sorry I've been a little lazy!! I need to do better for myself!! Y'all have been so supportive. I thank each and everyone of you! I will definitely start back posting all my stats! Y'all are doing a great job!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Went to my hardest yoga class tonight. My teacher quit; tonight was her last night. Now who's gonna push me to do more? This means I will only have 2 classes a week. Monday & Tuesday. I don't and won't lift. The machines at our gym suck. Hmmm.
    Have been doing a little better on calories now that all the pie is gone.(mostly eaten, a little thrown away).
    Goodnight all.
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Ate like absolute crap yesterday and did almost no exercise. However I did log everything.

Stats for the week so far are below:

Steps taken: 57406/84000
    Exercise minutes: 355/300 woohoo!!
    Diary complete: 4/7
    Days under calorie goal: 0/7
    Days under TDEE: 3/7
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    @OregonRunner5 Prizes sound like an awesome idea.

I agree, I really like those ideas, too. On my last weight loss challenge, we were awarded ribbons. It was fun. Sorry I missed the team meeting. I did go on an post a reply. And yes, I am still motivated and would love to see this group succeed.

Today I should be getting my new DVDs! I'm really excited. It's an eight week program and I should start on Monday so that I stay on schedule. I think between all of you, there are a lot of really great ideas. So we just need to lay out a plan. If Mondays are for Motivation and Wednesday are for memes, etc. we need to know this. Plan out the stickers or awards and the categories. Get a starting point for everyone, and maybe work of percentage lost rather than pounds lost.
  • Fyreside
    Options
    Daily check in for Friday. Once again long day, sitting here yawning lol. I did my exercise today, two sessions. So streak day 5.

You didn't miss the meeting there @MmamabearR, glad you're with us. :) And good idea on the percentage loss thing. Much more fair really.
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    My head unexpectedly just stopped hurting yesterday afternoon. Hmm. It never does that. It usually carries on with some drama for awhile, but I feel pretty good today and I went out and did my volunteer service in the national park and swept bridges along the trail. Today I didn't eat breakfast, didn't feel like I needed it and it's 12:30 and I'm still going alright. I didn't even know that was possible. Four miles of hilly trail with pack and sweeping usually requires substantial breakfast. Well, yesterday wasn't my best day in food history so maybe I'm still running on chocolate chip cookies.

I flea treated my cat yesterday with Advantage and he's not feeling well, he won't eat and he won't cuddle. He's not even complaining about stuff, he just wants left alone :( I miss my little buddy. I should have chosen the name, Crazy-Cat-Lady-Runner-5.

I'll work with Fyereside on the details and get stuff ironed out, not sure when we'll roll out changes, maybe do a soft launch in a week or so and then work out the bumps and really go for it in the new year?
  • OregonRunner5
    Options
    @corinasue1143 Sorry to hear about your yoga teacher :( I really love the Yoga with Adriene series.

Challenge yourself to a streak, daily yoga, or 4 days of yoga a week. It really makes a huge difference in how I feel. If you try it out let us know how it goes! How are you feeling from surgery?
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    @corinasue1143 Sorry to hear about your yoga teacher :( I really love the Yoga with Adriene series.

Challenge yourself to a streak, daily yoga, or 4 days of yoga a week. It really makes a huge difference in how I feel. If you try it out let us know how it goes! How are you feeling from surgery?

Love her too! I don't do yoga often (used to find it boring seeing as I can't shut my brain up ever) but she makes it fun!
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Dead tired after today but got to be up early to clean the house before my flight at 8:30am.

Stats for todat

Steps taken: 76658/84000
    Exercise minutes: 463/300 woohoo!!
    Diary complete: 5/7
    Days under calorie goal: 1/7
    Days under TDEE: 4/7
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Have a good trip, Anjelik!!
  • plainanjelik
    Options
    Finally made it! Now have another flight to catch tomorrow morning ugh!!

Stats for today:

Steps taken: 89783/84000 woohoo!!
    Exercise minutes: 536/300 woohoo!!
    Diary complete: 6/7
    Days under calorie goal: 2/7
    Days under TDEE: 5/7