Fatigue!?

Options
moxleymama6
moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
I'm starting my 5th week of Keto and am having extreme fatigue. I had a surge in energy in weeks 2 & 3 which tapered down in week 4. Now I'm exhausted except for about an hour after I eat. Am I not taking in enough calories or fats or what? I slept almost 9 hours last night and woke up tired. Any insight would be appreciated.

Replies

• MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say without knowing more about what you are eating. Your profile pic suggests that you do not have much excess bodyfat to draw on so you may not be eating enough fat. Or perhaps you are having too many carbs to get fully into ketosis? And of course, there is also the possibility that you need to boost your electrolytes... Maybe you can share more information about what you are eating, so some of the experienced Keto-folk here can help you.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Concur with @MicheleStitches. If I were to take a SWAG my 1st guess would be low electrolytes. Keto generally requires 3000-5000 mg of sodium and some folks need more. Fatigue for me has always related to low sodium intake-legs like lead just walking upstairs. The need for sodium doesn't go away.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    It is hard to say without knowing more about what you are eating. Your profile pic suggests that you do not have much excess bodyfat to draw on so you may not be eating enough fat. Or perhaps you are having too many carbs to get fully into ketosis? And of course, there is also the possibility that you need to boost your electrolytes... Maybe you can share more information about what you are eating, so some of the experienced Keto-folk here can help you.

My profile pic is a goal. I have about 35 pounds to lose before I'm that weight again. My diary is open. I have been trying to achieve 20-25 net carbs per day. There have been a couple days this month with my birthday and the holidays that I had some wine, but I tried to not stray too far over on my carbs.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Concur with @MicheleStitches. If I were to take a SWAG my 1st guess would be low electrolytes. Keto generally requires 3000-5000 mg of sodium and some folks need more. Fatigue for me has always related to low sodium intake-legs like lead just walking upstairs. The need for sodium doesn't go away.

This may be it! Looking back at my diary, my sodium is always under 3000-5000 mg. My diary is open BTW. I did have the "Leaden legs" yesterday when I was hiking with my daughter. We were going up to an overlook and I had to quit half way up. We drove to a park with more moderate terrain and hiked there instead. I was so frustrated! I'll up my sodium and see if that helps. Thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There might be insulin or glucose factors at play, too...

That being said, someone once told me that if after eating an actual meal portion, you are hungry before 3-4 hours have passed, something in that meal or the meal as a whole is not what you yourself need to be eating. You might need more protein, more fat, or who knows what...

But yes, if you aren't replacing the 3000 - 5000 mg of sodium the body dumps during the day, that can be a huge factor too.

Not getting good sleep is a factor...(insomnia, sleep apnea, etc.)

Messing up your circadian rhythm (daylight factors, enough D3/K2, enough B-12, enough iron, bright light at waking and lunch time -- backpark 6-7 am and 1-2 pm if you are on a standard type schedule...with bedtime around 10 pm --- and when you first get tired is when you need to go to bed or you'll get another boost of cortisol that will make sleep almost impossible later, caffeine too late in the day, ketone energy keeping you up, blue light exposure too late, no sleep routine (wash face, brush teeth, pj's, cool room, darkness, etc.), too warm of room, not dark enough room, etc.) contributes...

Those are the things that jump out at me...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    In addition to the sodium, you are not eating all your calories. I try to get within 200 calories of goal every day. Eating too little is definitely bad for anyone with potential thyroid issues. Not sure if that runs in your family, but you should try not being more than 200 calories under every day for a few weeks and see if that improves your energy level.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Create your deficit through calorie restriction OR exercise, not both. That's way too hard on the body, and you'll stall out with losses after a certain point... Doubling your deficit doesn't make you lose more weight or healthier (you'll get a short burst followed by a stall)...it makes you FLAT OUT TIRED...
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, calorie restriction is not recommended on the keto diet. I have always eaten within 400 cal of my TDEE and rarely exercise. I've lost 42 lbs since August 3rd.

But, the closer you are to your goal weight, the more weight loss begins to slow. I have averaged 1-2 lbs weekly, but I've known some to average 1/2 lb a week. The metabolic for each is so different.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It took me a good 2 MONTHS to feel good on keto! Although I did eat a horrible diet full of carbs, sugar, processed, and fast foods prior to starting. Eating keto is a big change for most of us, and our bodies need time to adjust. Also... make sure you are both eating enough and getting your electrolytes.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    In addition to the sodium, you are not eating all your calories. I try to get within 200 calories of goal every day. Eating too little is definitely bad for anyone with potential thyroid issues. Not sure if that runs in your family, but you should try not being more than 200 calories under every day for a few weeks and see if that improves your energy level.

I'm going to shoot for that (within 200 cal.).
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Create your deficit through calorie restriction OR exercise, not both. That's way too hard on the body, and you'll stall out with losses after a certain point... Doubling your deficit doesn't make you lose more weight or healthier (you'll get a short burst followed by a stall)...it makes you FLAT OUT TIRED...

I don't want to plateau. I'm still wrapping my head around Keto and how it is counter to everything I've been taught about weight loss as a "teen of the 80s". But the results don't lie. I lost 15lbs in November. Eat more to weigh less?? As a former dancer, my mentality and that of the company was all about restriction. I keep thinking I can't possibly lose weight if I consume 1500 calories.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    manleyr14 wrote: »
    From what I have read, calorie restriction is not recommended on the keto diet. I have always eaten within 400 cal of my TDEE and rarely exercise. I've lost 42 lbs since August 3rd.

But, the closer you are to your goal weight, the more weight loss begins to slow. I have averaged 1-2 lbs weekly, but I've known some to average 1/2 lb a week. The metabolic for each is so different.

I am 51 years old, so menopause slowing the metabolism is something I am dreading. That is why I'm working to get the weight off now before my metabolism slows even more.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    erika_307 wrote: »
    It took me a good 2 MONTHS to feel good on keto! Although I did eat a horrible diet full of carbs, sugar, processed, and fast foods prior to starting. Eating keto is a big change for most of us, and our bodies need time to adjust. Also... make sure you are both eating enough and getting your electrolytes.

I ate pretty clean prior to Keto. I cook and have access to fresh veggies. We also raise our own beef in the back yard/pasture. My mil gives us farm fresh eggs. I only had a couple days the first week that I had a bit of a headache. Grilled cheese sandwiches and wine are my carb-vices.
  • moxleymama6
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

After reading your post, I put some salt in my ACV/Lemon/Stevia water. Then added extra salt to my chicken avacado caprese salad at lunch, and I am feeling sooooo much better. Thank you!