Susan's OMAD Journey

Options
smahan2010
smahan2010 Posts: 61 Member
Day four of OMAD.

Down almost 3 pounds.
Energy is up.
Focus is up.

I look forward to my dinner....I have no restrictions and have whatever the hell I want on my one plate. I've come to this from keto, so this is kind of a big deal for me. I still butter *everything*, but I don't panic if I have 30 carbs. Side note: I've yet to finish any of those plates. I get full fast!

I drink when I am thirsty, and add hi-lyte to my water if I feel "off."

I've learned that I used to eat out of habit, not out of hunger. Black coffee is wonderful when your brain triggers the "eat now" response to the clock.

I track macros out of curiosity and also to keep an eye on protein. A week ago, my macros were almost an obsession.

On the second day I slept better than I have in months. Last night was no exception.

I love feeling and seeing changes in my body in four short days.

Most of all, I love the simplicity of this lifestyle!

I know I'm not alone....I'd love to hear your observations!

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The simplicity and freedom to eat types of food you want (still need to eat healthy foods) and also the ability to eat tell full are some of the biggest attractions for me also. Sounds like your doing well!

I can't even imagine planning a bunch of small meals, never eating tell full, and weighing everything. I've never done any of that and I'm sure I never will!
  • Jim_fbr
    Jim_fbr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Susan it sounds like you are well suited for this way of eating as you are finding it easy to adapt with positive results already.
    This was the way it went for me when I started, it just seemed almost too easy. The challenge is to be consistent over the long haul and conquer any self doubts that might crop up.
    Great start!
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard the OMAD train! It seems like you have plan and are off to a smashing start!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I love that you're losing so well especially coming from keto, KUTGW :)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Welcome, sound like you are doing great!!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    The simplicity and freedom to eat types of food you want (still need to eat healthy foods) and also the ability to eat tell full are some of the biggest attractions for me also. Sounds like your doing well!

I can't even imagine planning a bunch of small meals, never eating tell full, and weighing everything. I've never done any of that and I'm sure I never will!

Yes! Exactly!!!!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Welcome, sound like you are doing great!!

Thank you!!!!
  • smahan2010
    Options

Me too. I have to be honest, I prefer this WOE. I am not keto any longer, but I'm close. I'll stick with relatively LCHF, but I won't obsess. I really appreciate the encouragement!
  • blambo61
    Options
    smahan2010 wrote: »

Me too. I have to be honest, I prefer this WOE. I am not keto any longer, but I'm close. I'll stick with relatively LCHF, but I won't obsess. I really appreciate the encouragement!

I think moderation (not obsessing) is key.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Great results, and welcome!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Great results, and welcome!

Thank you!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    Day Five.

171.6 SW
    168.0 CW
    120.0 GW

So, despite keto, I still clearly had a bit of water weight to drop, which explains what I've lost this week. I don't feel as "puffy". I haven't experienced a whoosh, just a steady drop in my weight. I like steady.....I like that the scale has dropped every day since Monday.

It was taco night at our house last night....I had the biggest taco salad on my one-plate. Tried to finish it, but didn't quite make it. It was awesome to be able to eat without worrying about the ingredients (I even had crushed Doritos on top!). I can't get over how truly satisfied I am after my meal. My brain is being re-trained to look forward to dinner rather than focus on skipping breakfast and lunch.

It's the weekend, though, which will be a challenge. It's one thing when I'm working....I hope I do as well when I'm home. I don't want to 2MAD on the weekend. I keep reminding myself that there is no compromise....this isn't about calories per se, it's about controlling insulin spikes and hormones. OMAD, Susan, and make it count.

I may or may not have just given myself a lecture. Welcome to my world. :smile:

TGIF everyone!
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club Susan, I have given myself a good bit of lectures. You are doing great!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Giving ourselves lectures is good! Confirms things. I would encourage the OMAD on weekends also, it is easier to just be consistent. I have found though that if I do need to eat an earlier meal, I will keep that meal low carb and only have the carbs in the evening meal. That little WOE enabled me to maintain doing a 16:8 for several months whereas when I tried to maintain doing a 16:8 and ate whatever for lunch, my weight would creep back up slowly. I don't like keto and it is great to be able to enjoy all types of foods and even some sweets (in moderation), but I will use some keto strategies (earlier meals) to keep me from getting overly hungry during the day and eating way more than I should. Good luck!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    Welcome to the club Susan, I have given myself a good bit of lectures. You are doing great!

Thank you! I really appreciate the support!
  • smahan2010
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Giving ourselves lectures is good! Confirms things. I would encourage the OMAD on weekends also, it is easier to just be consistent. I have found though that if I do need to eat an earlier meal, I will keep that meal low carb and only have the carbs in the evening meal. That little WOE enabled me to maintain doing a 16:8 for several months whereas when I tried to maintain doing a 16:8 and ate whatever for lunch, my weight would creep back up slowly. I don't like keto and it is great to be able to enjoy all types of foods and even some sweets (in moderation), but I will use some keto strategies (earlier meals) to keep me from getting overly hungry during the day and eating way more than I should. Good luck!

Thank you very much. I am sticking with the low carb (just not under 20 total) and high fat approach of keto, and am working to make sure that I don't blow my protein out of the water. Other than that, I am allowing myself to have pretty much whatever I want. It's liberating. I plan to stay with 23:1 - that is the ratio that works best for me. If I do go to 16:8 on the weekend, I will definitely stick to keto during my mid day meal. I see your point about weight creeping back up otherwise... makes perfect sense to me.
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Lecture away! I have ridiculously long posts I’ve written for my own purposes in my old thread, and they were helpful to write and great to reread for reminders.
  • smahan2010
    Options
    Day Six.

168 CW
    120 GW

Today is the first time that the scale hasn't budged....but, I didn't gain either. I think it might have had something to do with having Mexican (and beer!) last night. :wink:

I usually cook breakfast on the weekend, so I'm a bit out of sorts. I plan on sticking with OMAD 7 days per week, so I'll push through.

Speaking of out of sorts....I managed to only drink black coffee while I was at the office yesterday. I feel ok, and am hydrating now, but I know better than to do that. OMAD + limited fluid intake is careless. To top it off, I had alcohol with my dinner after not getting enough water during the day. I wonder if that's why I didn't lose anything....I'll bet my body is holding on to fluid in response. Look at me being all science-y.

I love planning my one-meal. Today, burgers. Really big, juicy, cheesy burgers. With bacon. On a potato roll. With onion rings. Yes!!!

OMAD for the win!

• brittdee88
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Maintaining is better than gaining any day, especially when you’re able to eat exactly what you want! Great job on figuring out what you may need to tweak in the future.
  • smahan2010
    Options
    Thank you, Britt! You are so supportive!! xx