Kidney stones, anyone?

EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
Have you had kidney stones? How long after going lc did it happen? How quickly did it go from "wow, that's an odd feeling......" to "wow that really hurts"...... or "holy mother of god! Get me to a hospital!!"

Just curious. I'm presenting with kidney stone symptoms and I'm just curious what others experienced. It may just be a misbehaving ovary, but it could very well be kidney stones. I've got constant lower left quadrant pain/soreness, it's been intermittently severe for the last hour, and the pain radiates into my groin/inner thigh.... I'm also having pain radiate to my back. Every time I void or have a bowl movement, it hurts. A lot. You know that feeling you get right before you have to have a poop, where you can feel it moving through your system... that is accompanied with extreme pain, like stop you in your tracks -feels like labor-contractions.

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    Have you had kidney stones? How long after going lc did it happen? How quickly did it go from "wow, that's an odd feeling......" to "wow that really hurts"...... or "holy mother of god! Get me to a hospital!!"

Just curious. I'm presenting with kidney stone symptoms and I'm just curious what others experienced. It may just be a misbehaving ovary, but it could very well be kidney stones. I've got constant lower left quadrant pain/soreness, it's been intermittently severe for the last hour, and the pain radiates into my groin/inner thigh.... I'm also having pain radiate to my back. Every time I void or have a bowl movement, it hurts. A lot. You know that feeling you get right before you have to have a poop, where you can feel it moving through your system... that is accompanied with extreme pain, like stop you in your tracks -feels like labor-contractions.

I think call a doctor and quickly, if it's kidney stone you really don't want to leave it as the pain will just get worse.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Much worse. They are more painful than anything you can think of, if left too long.
  • EryOaker
    Thx, y'all. The pain went away. I'll update tomorrow if the pain returns.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I haven't had them. But my husband has. The pain comes and goes for a few hours at a time. And it will come back. If you stop peeing, you are an extreme emergency. And that can happen fast. Get to a hospital/doctor while you still can. They will be able to tell immediately with an ultra sound as to whether you need their help with anything else than pain killers. If you wait, you will likely need an ambulance.

Good luck.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Try drinking cranberry juice if it a kidney stone. The juice helps dissolve the spikes of the stone, and therefore easier to pass. I've never had it, but a former boss of mine did, and that's what he did. He swore it helped.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Kidney stones are THE WORST pain I've ever had. I had a naturopath give me an herbal tincture called "Stone breaker" that worked. By the time I got the MRI my doctor ordered, the stones were broken up and had mostly passed.
  • EryOaker
    So the pain in my LLQ hasn't returned. I'm really hoping that means it was just another ovarian cyst. My family is prone to them. They usually resolve on their own if you are lucky. My mom and sister both had to have ovaries removed because of them. Thanks for all of the advise and information. Fingers crossed that it isn't K-stones!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    I've only had one kidney stone many years ago and it wasn't associated with low carb eating. We never determined what the issue was because when I went to take the stone in to be analyzed it broke entirely apart there was nothing left. It hurt...a lot and I have a high tolerance to pain. It wasn't a dull kidney infection type ache at all. When I think back to that time I think the root cause was probably not drinking enough water. I really make sure to get enough fluids these days plus I do the ACV thing once or twice a day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I don't think I've had kidney stones since going LC, but they were more confusing than painful. Not knowing the symptoms, I went to urgent care. Ended up passing without problems.

Gall stones bothered me more than kidney stones, and pain from certain injuries and procedures (one of which, the dr. screwed up the anesthesia) has been much worse. Heck, I've had worse pain from severe cramps caused by electrolyte shortages in muscles.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    So the pain in my LLQ hasn't returned. I'm really hoping that means it was just another ovarian cyst. My family is prone to them. They usually resolve on their own if you are lucky. My mom and sister both had to have ovaries removed because of them. Thanks for all of the advise and information. Fingers crossed that it isn't K-stones!

I've not had kidney stones, but I have had gallstones and ovarian cysts. The latter two both compete for some of the worst pain experiences I've endured. My worst bout of ovarian cysts resulted in the ringing of the ears, black narrowing tunnel vision, cold clammy sweats, hot flashes, pain so bad that breathing hurt, and nearly passing out - all while on a field trip with my daughter's school. Luckily, I alerted another parent to the situation, and we were able to sit in a presentation until it passed, but it utterly terrified me. It was what finally pushed me to confirm my PCOS.

The gallstones literally felt like I was having a heart attack... I sincerely couldn't think of anything else it could be, as I was missing major symptoms of gallbladder issues...

I've had lower back pain, both sides, at random times, and generally both at the same time, or close to. I've been told that kidney stones were a possible issue, but no further testing has been done, so I don't know as to the true issue.

Regardless, if you have pain like that, and it has repeated, ever, the best thing you can do is to get to a doctor or hospital for testing during an episode. A random one off might just be a tweaked nerve or something, but anything that repeats within a year's time, or consistently over years, plural, I'd be sprinting to the ER, myself! Good luck, and feel better soon! @CRZYFTM
  • EryOaker
    Thanks!