Random Poll: What is your favorite Holiday food?

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
Whatever Holiday(s) you celebrate, there almost always is food involved. What are some of your favorite dishes for this time of year?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I certainly look forward to the meal we will have at a local Indian restaurant for Christmas. We may have to shift that to Christmas Eve as the Indian restaurants are usually closed on Mondays. Not sure if they will open up this year to take advantage of people looking for a meal out.

We only cook a turkey at Thanksgiving so that is always a treat. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank on something that I only have this time of year.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Potato latkes for Hanukkah! (also known as "the fried-food holiday")
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    For Thanksgiving I likeTraeger smoked turkey and I like a brussel sprouts roasted dish made with Bacon and pan roasted walnuts. On the rare occasion my wife makes it (any time during the year) I do like her Aunt Dotty's hot german potato salad. We don't do thanksgiving at a house every year but that's what I like.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that the WW recipe for Pork Tenderloin (obviously not for Kosher) with Pomegranate Sauce might be the best new thing I have tried in awhile. Made with Pomegranate molasses using pork coated with a pinch of salt, curry, black pepper and cooked in cast iron pan and finished in oven. Then scrape up brown stuff in a pinch of broth and add the pomegranate molasses etc. Sounds great to me and will last several days.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato casserole, squash pie, frosted Christmas cookies, my Grandma's chocolate chip cookies, my MIL's orange cranberry sauce (I thought I hated cranberry sauce until I ate this!)
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    My wife and in-laws are Bulgarian, and Christmas is one of the holidays that we usually celebrate with traditional dishes from Bulgaria - my favorite is Sarmi (stuffed cabbage leaves).
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Appetizers, peanut brittle, fudge etc on Xmas Eve. Prime rib, mashed potatoes and gravy on Xmas day. Yum!
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Turkey with stuffing and gravy
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My Mom used to make baked apple rings and serve them with sausage patties and toasted English muffins on Christmas mornings. Partly for the flavors, partly for the nostalgia, these might be my fave holiday eats (unless we're counting all the homemade desserts...).
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the "holiday". Thanksgiving is stuffing/dressing. Christmas is always spent with my son and I always look forward to our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of spaghetti with meat sauce. Those who were "oldies" on the WW GOAD board may remember how that came to be :)

For Christmas lunch/dinner/whatever, we typically have a honey-baked ham, potato salad, green beans, deviled eggs, and yeast rolls. And all of those are my favorites...regardless of the time of year.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    For Christmas morning DW's breakfast casserole. Eggs, turkey sausage crumbles, cheese m, half and half all mixed up and cooked yummy!.
    Christmas lunch roadted Turkey breast, dressing, sweet potato casserole.

New Years day Ham, black eyed peas and turnip or collard greens.
  • misterhub
    Options
    We have a family tradition of "Christmas Pizza" on Christmas Eve, which started as something to get the kids involved (not actually intended to be a tradition) and has now passed to the kids' own households, whether my wife and I are present or not.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on the "holiday". Thanksgiving is stuffing/dressing. Christmas is always spent with my son and I always look forward to our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of spaghetti with meat sauce. Those who were "oldies" on the WW GOAD board may remember how that came to be :)

For Christmas lunch/dinner/whatever, we typically have a honey-baked ham, potato salad, green beans, deviled eggs, and yeast rolls. And all of those are my favorites...regardless of the time of year.

You've sparked my curiosity, what's the story???
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Turkey
  • misterhub
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for sharing. Any favorite recipes to go with these favorite foods?
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    Probably the dungeness crab stuffed potatoes we have every year.