Replies

• mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Me: 9
    B: 2
    DBF: 0

Aware...refocused, new goals set. Moving forward.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mae918 - you probably have no idea how inspiring it is to watch you come in here most days, have small slips, and then get back up, dust off, and attack it all again! <3 Kudos, ma'am.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Me: 10
    Binge: 1
    DBF: 1

Had a really bad day yesterday, complete with total mental breakdown at the DMV and now feeling defeated and depressed. Binged last night in a way I haven't for a long time. But today is a new day and a new chance to make better decisions.

@HellYeahItsKriss - it's good to see you here! I always like your posts in the forums. Sorry you're having such a rough year. This entire year, from January onward, has been a wreck for me too, for different reasons, and the details aren't something I can freely talk about with people so I understand how depressing it is to have those inner battles and feel completely alone and helpless in them. It might be worth talking to your new employer though. If you start off by saying you understand if you can't take time off so soon, but then explain why you would appreciate being able to, because of your father's health, they might be understanding. Worst case, they say you can't go. Even if they kinda raise their eyebrows at the request, whether you are able to go or not, your work ethic will quickly show them that you ARE reliable. Maybe you can offer to work extra hours before or after to "make up for it." Anyway, I hope being in this group helps you- I know it's helped lots of us, including me.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Me: 3
    Binge: 0
    DbF: 3
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Me: 12
    DBF: 23
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Dec 12

The B: 2
    DBF: 3
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »

Had a really bad day yesterday, complete with total mental breakdown at the DMV and now feeling defeated and depressed. Binged last night in a way I haven't for a long time. But today is a new day and a new chance to make better decisions.

@HellYeahItsKriss - it's good to see you here! I always like your posts in the forums. Sorry you're having such a rough year. This entire year, from January onward, has been a wreck for me too, for different reasons, and the details aren't something I can freely talk about with people so I understand how depressing it is to have those inner battles and feel completely alone and helpless in them. It might be worth talking to your new employer though. If you start off by saying you understand if you can't take time off so soon, but then explain why you would appreciate being able to, because of your father's health, they might be understanding. Worst case, they say you can't go. Even if they kinda raise their eyebrows at the request, whether you are able to go or not, your work ethic will quickly show them that you ARE reliable. Maybe you can offer to work extra hours before or after to "make up for it." Anyway, I hope being in this group helps you- I know it's helped lots of us, including me.

Unfortunately with Christmas this is their busy time so I cant. It's just the way it worked out.

But thanks for the welcome. I know I am usually the one giving all the advice but I normally don't ask for help when I need support cause people's helpful suggestions sadly have been tried and don't work. Lol. Usually just leaves me frustrated.

• hillmike56
    hillmike56 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Me: 11
    DBF: 10
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »

Unfortunately with Christmas this is their busy time so I cant. It's just the way it worked out.

But thanks for the welcome. I know I am usually the one giving all the advice but I normally don't ask for help when I need support cause people's helpful suggestions sadly have been tried and don't work. Lol. Usually just leaves me frustrated.

Not wanting to give more "already tried it advice," but just in case you haven't thought of it, have you tried contacting the bus company and explaining the unexpected impossibility of travel - and asking, since the ticket was non-refundable, if they would allow you to pay a processing fee to transfer the ticket to a different day (out of work's busy season - maybe you can check with them and explain that you're going to attempt to change your ticket so it would be helpful to have dates available - especially if you say, "I know that taking off in the busy season is out, but I'm going to ask the bus company will work with me...when would be the best time for the company for me to go visit my dying father?") and see if you can get some time off in a few months to go visit? Many times you'll lose 25% or so of the original value, but that's better than losing 100% of it, isn't it? And most companies will try to help, if they can... If not, perhaps put the ticket up on Craiglist or FB Marketplace and see if anyone wants to buy the ticket at half or so value...obviously many other people are traveling for the holidays, etc...if it is usable by another person, anyway... Just in case you hadn't thought of or tried these things...
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Thanks. I have asked them about the ticket. They said I would of had to make changes before 30 days of having the ticket. I bought mine in advance and under the premise of my previous jobs schedule. So the 30 days was up.

Ultimately I decided that a job should not come first over family.. and since I have already lost almost everything short of my own life and my cat not having a job isn't gonna make a bit of difference right now so why struggle and not see my family for no reason.

But thank you tho.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

@HellYeahItsKriss - It's awesome you're able to put family first! It's so much easier said than done. Whatever your plans end up being, I hope you have a great holiday :)
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @mae918 - you probably have no idea how inspiring it is to watch you come in here most days, have small slips, and then get back up, dust off, and attack it all again! <3 Kudos, ma'am.

THANK YOU @KnitOrMiss . I appreciate that. This has been a lifelong struggle (as I'm sure is the same for many or all of you) and it took me a very very long time to stop beating myself up for all the slip ups. I swear that is the key to being able to start again and keep hope that one day it will all click.

B: 2
    DBF: 2
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Me: 4
    DbF: 4
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options