Kind of a weird question...

Options
goatlady6
goatlady6 Posts: 37 Member
So I have been on a Keto diet for 10 days. What I have noticed is that my urine seems to have a different smell. Not like the smell when you eat asparagus, but kind of like how it wafts up from the toilet the same way? (I dont really go to smell it!)
Anyway, wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Thanks.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Reported as common to those in ketosis: unique/different odor to urine and armpits (from perspiring) that smell like "fingernail polish" or a "kitty litter box that needs to be cleaned of urine".
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also, you might just be dehydrated in general. Low carb can flush water & salts from your system, so you may find an increased need for staying hydrated and keep electrolytes up.
  • goatlady6
    Options
    Today was the first day (actually last night) that I had the dry mouth thing. Been drinking water all day to try and get rid of it. I sure hope I dont experience the "dirty litter box" odor. That would be bad!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    @goatlady6 WELCOME! While it is a good idea to increase your water intake, please don't forget to make sure you're getting the amount of sodium that you need. I couldn't see your diary, but water can act like a magnet drawing the sodium right out of your body. On keto, you need to make sure you're getting plenty of sodium. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dry mouth for me is more indicative of low sodium...so I toss back some pink salt crystals, let them sit in my mouth enough to register the salty taste, then chug them down with water. Generally solved almost instantly.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been smelling of something sweet. Not like acetone, but sweet like candy. Not good because then I want candy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've been smelling of something sweet. Not like acetone, but sweet like candy. Not good because then I want candy.

@Jigglypuff00 - Be sure to test your blood glucose levels when you smell something sweet (coming from YOU)... If I remember correctly, particularly with diabetics, that can be a sign of lowering blood sugar...if your sugars drop, your liver can dump glycogen to balance it, even if you don't really need it - but it thinks you do due to previous highs/lows, etc., and that can suspend fat burning (and releasing insulin to process the glycogen dump and causing a weird cycle), which would lead to lower fat losses.

That may only be the case in sugar-burning diabetics, though... I honestly don't remember.... @Sunny_Bunny_ is this something that happens at all with your daughter? I can't remember, I just know that I've heard it referenced several times, smelling of something sweet or orange/citrus type scent can indicate the lowering of blood sugar numbers...
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    I wonder if that is why I'm in a sort of a stall. Kind of going back and forth between 198.8 and 197.4. My blood sugar has been running in the 80's with exception to that one over 100 after pizza party. Usually it's between 95 and 100.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I honestly don't know, but it may be necessary to just ride the wave until your liver gets the message that no, 80's really aren't lows anymore....because we're improving all over....

*pets liver* "Calm down liver, we're not dying, I promise."

*giggles at self* *apologizes for the silliness, blames it on the creepy crud*
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss LOL...thank you for making me laugh! I hope the creepy crud exits your system soon!
    I have an appointment next week with a diabetes educator and then another appointment next month with a diabetic dietitian. So hopefully I'll learn more about this disease. I have a bunch of questions for them. My mom is concerned for me doing the keto woe. She thinks my blood levels have dropped too fast. So we'll see what the educator and dietitian have to say.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can't get healthy "too fast" that just silly...the faster you get healthy the longer you get to stay healthy...your body wants to be healthy, and it's awesome that keto is working!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I absolutely agree that it's not about getting too healthy too fast!!!

It's more that our livers have that little glycogen release function as a way to KEEP US ALIVE in hard times, etc. And so the liver is a little ... overprotective?

Also, our body kind of does this thing where it holds steady in a glucose range. As we abuse ourselves, and the glucose numbers go higher, our body adjusts that range to just be higher... So if you average glucose as a healthy person was 90-100, the body might say, okay, at 65 or so, we need to release glycogen to prevent going too low, and at 135 we need to release more insulin to bring it back down (random example, based off of my really loose recollection of numbers).... So say your body was getting less efficient, and your average was around 150... The body might adjust and consider 115 your new "scary low" because it's adjusted the high to be closer to 185... Imagine for some folks who get sicker and sicker, and have average glucose readings over 250 or more!!! That would mean that your formerly high scary warning zone was now BELOW the new "scary low" zone!!!

If that isn't terrifying, I don't know what is, because we know realistically that our body really still won't be in trouble until it gets below that 65 or so range, but the body has it's watch zone. And to make us feel NOT SICK at the higher levels (it's coping mechanism), it bumps up that range.... It's kind of scary how much our bodies will max out to help is feel normal and keep functioning...but kind of reassuring, too. It's just that eventually that elastic range gets too much for even the body to keep adjusting to, which is generally when we get sick enough for doctors to catch it, if they weren't already monitoring for it...

Some people are far more sensitive that others to the changes, and might catch it earlier, and some of our bodies are just really good at adapting to bad changes to attempt to keep us functioning, etc. as along as possible.

The longer you keep your average glucose numbers numbers down, and your spikes down, and your fasting numbers down, the sooner your liver will realize that you've learned your lesson, and that you're on the job now, so to speak, and that you can work together to keep the body healthy, and that you don't need it to carry all the stress of glucose management all by itself. Once the liver realizes that the long term numbers are all improving downward, it will stop having that reaction as often, and you'll get back to fat losses and such.

If you are on actual insulin, and not just an insulin sensitizer like Metformin, you can be dropping too low, but as long as you plan to stay on plan, please don't let a doctor talking you into eating to your medication, rather to adjusting your medication needs to your eating. Doctors in general don't like doing that because long term, people just aren't compliant. It's far easier for them to medicate you to less compliance than it is for them to trust you to being compliant and actively involved in monitoring and adjusting yourself - not to mention the liability if something doesn't adjust well.

I'd check in here on some of the diabetic posts (linked in the sticky) and get more advice from those who've gotten off meds, reduced or reversed their diabetes, etc. I imagine that a small fat/protein based snack when you get to a certain point may stave off the auto-release of glycogen, but I'd talk to your team about what is best for you how to adjust until your liver glycogen release level readjusts to your new health levels....

TL;DR - Information is power - monitor your numbers and how you feel at different levels and engage your team in the best long term solution for YOU! @Jigglypuff00
  • Jigglypuff00
    Options
    Awesome information! I probably just learned more about this disease from you, @KnitOrMiss, than I probably will from my team. I'm not taking any medication or insulin. The last time I saw any medical professionals, my numbers just teeter-tottering over the boarderline. I was never informed that I had gone from boarderline into full-blown diabetes. I had moved 2 hours away so I never went back.

With my mom on my back, I'd test faithfully for awhile, then run out of strips and didn't bother replenishing them. So up to recently, I thought I was still just "boarderline." The only reason I decided to try Keto was because a friend of mine was eating this way and was phenomenal in losing weight. I was scared at first because all my favorite foods were not allowed. But I hated my body and the feeling of being heavy. So I jumped in without much planning.

I finally made an appointment at the health center in my new town. And here I am today, 29 pounds lighter after almost 3 months. My fasting bg went from high 100s to under 100 most mornings. My A1c went from 6.9 (from 2 years ago) to 6.1. I don't know if it was even higher than that right before I started. It probably was. The doctor, only knowing what medical history was sent from 2 years ago, sees no reason to put me on medication. Basically just keep doing what I'm doing. But my mom's doctor is old school and talked her out of keto and now she's afraid for me. So I'm hoping I can get armed with more info from my "team" to help my mom see Old Dr Kelly needs to retire and go on Keto himself! LOL! He was my old doctor too, and is very big.

And wow! See what you made me do? Tell my life story! Sorry about that! Hope you feel better soon!
  • goatlady6
    Options
    I am learning SO MUCH from these conversations! I have diabetes in my family so I am watching myself pretty well. No signs yet--fingers crossed. @Jigglypuff00 (did I do that right?) I am glad your Mom is looking out for you...but dont let her old Doc change your mind on what is working for YOU!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@Jigglypuff00 - Be sure to test your blood glucose levels when you smell something sweet (coming from YOU)... If I remember correctly, particularly with diabetics, that can be a sign of lowering blood sugar...if your sugars drop, your liver can dump glycogen to balance it, even if you don't really need it - but it thinks you do due to previous highs/lows, etc., and that can suspend fat burning (and releasing insulin to process the glycogen dump and causing a weird cycle), which would lead to lower fat losses.

That may only be the case in sugar-burning diabetics, though... I honestly don't remember.... @Sunny_Bunny_ is this something that happens at all with your daughter? I can't remember, I just know that I've heard it referenced several times, smelling of something sweet or orange/citrus type scent can indicate the lowering of blood sugar numbers...

When you have a T1D kid the doctors tell you to look out for breath that smells like acetone because that’s ketones. They want them to avoid burning ketones at all cost so this is the warning you get. Ketones without high blood sugar (200+) and in an insulin producing person (not T1D) is of course not a problem as we all know. This is nutritional ketosis. What some of us are aiming to achieve and maintain for its health benefits.
    Anyway, in my experience smelling this scent often in my daughter, it does smell sweet to me. It’s like a sweet nail polish remover. Kind of acetone but also sweet.
    I have never smelled it on my own breath but I’m not sure I would. I’ve also never smelled myself having bad breath but I’m sure I have had it at times in my life. Lol
    Anyway, I suspect you’re just making ample ketones if you’re smelling it.
    I understand the smell of sweet driving cravings too. Though I don’t really have that issue after so long now, I did have a crazy sweet tooth when I first started keto and smelling sweet would definitely make me want it. I used a lot of artificial sweetened things for my first several months keto because I just couldn’t let go of it. Eventually I did but it was truly a struggle. Definitely felt like breaking an addiction to me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I just know that in several tv shows I've seen it referenced "a sweet smell on your breath," "have you been drinking," "why do you smell like oranges," and so on...

The one where he was asked about smelling like oranges, the guy was a Type 1, and immediately explained that it means his numbers are getting too low.

The "sweet smell on the breath" one was used by a blind person to identify a murder suspect, presumably same reason...

And the "have you been drinking" one was a really spectacular example of LADA Type 1 in an adult on a TV program that had a woman end up in diabetic ketoacidosis, and nearly a coma! It was actually very detailed and accurate... They did not give her actual blood glucose number, but said that it was so high, she almost died, etc.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If I eat very low carb for a few days in a row, I notice my urine has a kind of peanut butter smell to it.......lol. Not sure if that would be considered "sweet" but it definitely doesn't smell like nail polish. I also get a metallic taste in my mouth if I'm very low carb for a few days.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Also, our body kind of does this thing where it holds steady in a glucose range. As we abuse ourselves, and the glucose numbers go higher, our body adjusts that range to just be higher... So if you average glucose as a healthy person was 90-100, the body might say, okay, at 65 or so, we need to release glycogen to prevent going too low, and at 135 we need to release more insulin to bring it back down (random example, based off of my really loose recollection of numbers).... So say your body was getting less efficient, and your average was around 150... The body might adjust and consider 115 your new "scary low" because it's adjusted the high to be closer to 185... Imagine for some folks who get sicker and sicker, and have average glucose readings over 250 or more!!! That would mean that your formerly high scary warning zone was now BELOW the new "scary low" zone!!!

I have gone up and down on my fasting glucose levels, and I suspect it is this phenomenon. It gets "low" during the night, and the liver freaks out and boosts it. When I check at 5 AM it might be 120. If I get up early - (like 3:45 this morning), it is more like low 100's (104 this morning).

Every now and then I see this during the day. Yesterday I had a 94 an hour after lunch - canned salmon. Two hours after eating and I was 90. These are great readings and not problematic. I did not eat anything between lunch and supper. Right before supper I checked and was 120. The only explanation I have is that liver had freaked out and given me a boost when I did not need it (for whatever reason that made sense to it).