Jumpstart January 2018: Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
edited December 2017 in Social Groups
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.
It's the perfect time to Jumpstart your health!

I do go on and on about one B-word. The Basics. Why? Because they're important. It may not be sexy, or catchy, but take it from a person who lost the weight and has kept the majority of it off (Hey! I'm human. It's probably vanity weight, but it offends me with it's existence, alright? :lol: .) Keeping the low-carb basics locked-in is where it's at if you are wanting to actually succeed long-term. Minding the Basics will continue to serve you all the way to your goal weight and will keep you in maintenance.

So what are these Basics?
  • Planning ahead!!!
  • Staying under carbs
  • Staying under calories
  • Logging and measuring
  • Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
  • Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
  • Getting enough water
  • Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There were lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month if you aren't much into resolutions. Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.
You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

This challenge will be in the stickies at the top of the Group, with links inside to the weekly threads. So if the weekly threads get buried in our busy group, you'll be able to easily find in in the sticky. 2-clicks and BAM.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
  • Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
  • If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.
Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st.

Here's a sample format for how you can report on various goals if you'd like:
Monday 1/1:

Water: Yep. :flowerforyou:
Electrolytes Good: :flowerforyou:
Logged Food: :flowerforyou:
Exercise as Planned: Strength training :flowerforyou:
At or Under Carb Level: :flowerforyou:
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! :flowerforyou:
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! :flowerforyou:
7/7

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great guidelines! Im in ☺
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @baconslave, you are the best. Thank you for your consistency in keeping us all on track!

Hmm, my goals for January:
    Weighed in:
    Electrolytes:
    Logged Food:
    Exercise as Planned:
    At or Under Carb Level:
    At or Under Calorie Limit:
    Went to bed by goal time:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    And ha, yes, I hear you on keeping "most of it off." I have re-gained my vanity pounds in the past few months and am currently back up to what *was* my goal weight for most of my adult life. I'd love to re-lose about 7 lbs. (TOM right now though so maybe I'll really only need to re-lose 5. We'll see next week. ;) )
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    January goals:
    Stay within carb level
    Continue exercising 5-6 days a week for an hour
    Lose another 6-10 pounds
    Be more active when at home and not at the gym
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    January Goal: Lose 6 lbs
    Daily Goal:
    *log everyday
    *stay within calorie budget
    *stay within carb goal
    *Excersise min 30 min
    *Add strength training or intense cardio if up to it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I’ve already started but nia shanks 2 day a week strength program plus one day of liss cardio and one day of hiit cardio. This is mon-thurs starting 1/8. This week I’m taking Monday off.

And keeping on target with food.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This morning I measured myself to help me see progress when the scale gets stuck. It was a harsh reality! :'(
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's been a rough month and a half for me. I don't have a hard time quitting most things. But bread is like a drug for me -- I'm good as long as I don't have it. The moment I crack just once... it becomes a slippery slope and I can't stop! I've been tryin' too.

I've mostly purged it from my diet the last few days, which sets up January nicely!!

January goals:
    1. Avoid the breads like the PLAGUE
    2. Watch my calories. It's easy to go over
    3. Follow my workout calendar, my muscles have become mush
    4. Keep carbs low. While I have a limit set in MFP, I love veggies and want to eat them
    5. Salt... I need to consume more of it.
  • Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Basics....the foundation of any program. That is where I am starting once again...at the beginning with the basics. Off and on Keto last year. Lost a few pounds. DH lost a lot of weight. Time to come back fighting. Beginning measurements done.

January Goals:
    1) Stay within daily carb range
    2) Drink 64oz+ water daily
    3) 6,000+ steps daily

This seems like a good place to start.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Last night was not kind, so today I have a food hangover! My goals are to only eat when hungry, stop when I feel satisfied and don’t cheat with carbs because everyone else is having them. I wind up feeling miserable for the short amount of time they taste good.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    *Drink water(ugghh)
    *Log, log, log!!!
    *Stay under calorie goal
    *Do some form of exercise 6 x/week
    *Stay at or below 20g carbs.

Doable, right!
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Goal for the next 6 weeks...I've started a round of PSMF getting ready for a cruise. WILL stick with it, then transitioning over to my regular LC macros....
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My daily goals are going to be:

Logged food:
    Stayed at or under 20 net carbs:
    Stayed under 1500 calories:
    At least 8 c. of water:
    At least 30 minutes of intentional exercise:
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My new years goal is to get back to the strong, energetic woman I was, who fit in her clothes and didn't just sit on the couch. I need to lose around 30 lbs of fat. I'm losing muscle mass and strength and need to rebuild. I need to lose around 10 inches on the belly so it doesn't flop over the too tight pants.

My January goal is to know I CAN DO THIS! Its not difficult to change. Its difficult to decide you really want to. The hardest part is for me to come to terms with the fact my body an metabolism has changed through the years. I can't just eat anything anymore without consequences. This is not a diet for me, this is a new lifestyle.

I do have a cheat weekend planned Jan 5 - 7. I have a girls trip and I want to relax, have some wine, and not obsess or feel guilty about food since we are all bringing parts to the meals. Other than that, the next cheat day is Feb 1, my hubbys birthday. I would like to have noticeable gains (errr, losses) by then.

Daily goals for January:
    Log all food
    No more that 25 net carbs (I shoot for 20)
    Plan tomorrows food
    Strength train 2x per week and 2x something else (skiing, elliptical, etc)
    Stretch every day (hubby will join me, we both have terrible flexibility)
This discussion has been closed.