Carbs vs Net Carbs

Options
Jessica0982
Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
I'm new to keto and I have been struggling with what my actual numbers should be - or as I think they're meant to be called, macros. I've seen various formulas and I think I've gotten a number in mind but then worry maybe it's too low.

With that said, I've also seen conflicting info when it comes to carbs. Do you count carbs or net carbs? Is it a personal preference?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    When I was keto I counted total carbs.
    Michael Eades wrote a book called Protein Power in the 70’s. In that book he is the first to introduce the idea of “net carbs”. He intended for people to subtract the fiber from green vegetables only.
    He has been quoted saying that he is disappointed but not surprised how the idea then became popular and applied to sugar alcohols and unnatural added fiber in processed packaged low carb foods.
    It’s your decision. Ultimately do whatever works for you. If you’re interested in applying it the way it was originally introduced, you’ll only subtract fiber that naturally occurs in green vegetables.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto and I have been struggling with what my actual numbers should be - or as I think they're meant to be called, macros. I've seen various formulas and I think I've gotten a number in mind but then worry maybe it's too low.

With that said, I've also seen conflicting info when it comes to carbs. Do you count carbs or net carbs? Is it a personal preference?

Partly it depends on where you live. In the UK we generally count Net Carbs because that's how our foods are labeled.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have read Peotien Power & did notknow he had since qualified net carbs as basically only relating to natural fibers. It makes sense though. Thanks for the information!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have read Peotien Power & did notknow he had since qualified net carbs as basically only relating to natural fibers. It makes sense though. Thanks for the information!

I’ve heard him speak of it on podcasts and his disappointment to the way it’s commonly used now. Especially when it comes to packaged foods like Atkins.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've recently read how a T1 diabetic will react to carbs, doesn't matter if the carbs are sugar or fiber. They cannot eat something with fiber and ignore it and not take insulin after. So count total carbs. If you go over 20 grams, don't justify it by subtracting the fiber from the total carb count and think you're doing great. Own it. And some people do fine with higher than 20 grams per day. However, some don't. You need to discover your own threshold. Everyone is different.
  • Cher1e1n2
    Cher1e1n2 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I only subtract fiber from real foods.. those sugar alcohols and other substitutes mess up my progress. I've also noticed that the fiber in nuts seems to count as sugar to my body as my ketone strips will show no ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

I’ve heard him speak of it on podcasts and his disappointment to the way it’s commonly used now. Especially when it comes to packaged foods like Atkins.

Net carbs is abused to the point that it almost should be completely thrown out. I get the basic idea, encourage people to prefer their carbs come from vegetables and not processed foods. But, that's not how it is used by most products and people. I would say a goal of 30 grams total carbs is better than one of 20 grams net carbs for almost anyone who is inclined to eat anything with sugar alcohols or that is heavily processed.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I only subtract fiber from real foods.. those sugar alcohols and other substitutes mess up my progress. I've also noticed that the fiber in nuts seems to count as sugar to my body as my ketone strips will show no ketosis.

Nut were one of the hardest foods for me to accept as problem foods. I just can't have nuts. Their fiber and anti-nutrients mess my whole gut up. They are anti-satiating to me and cause me to over-consume food. They are just a huge problem. I know a lot of people have success eating nuts, nut flours, nut butters, and nut oils; but, I am not one of those people. Cutting nuts out, completely, was a huge positive step for me.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So how many carbs should one aim for? My trainer say between 30g and 50g but a lot of the stuff I have read online says 20g-30g. Also is it true that someone who works out for an hour or more 6-7 days a week needs more carbs?
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    So how many carbs should one aim for? My trainer say between 30g and 50g but a lot of the stuff I have read online says 20g-30g. Also is it true that someone who works out for an hour or more 6-7 days a week needs more carbs?

This is an individual choice. Some people do better with fewer carbs than others. Find the level that works for you.

There is no dietary requirement for carbs, no matter how much you work out. You can be very active and never eat any. That said, exercise appears to make people tolerate more carbs than inactivity. So, active people might be able to get away with eating more carbs. It doesn't mean they need to be eating more.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks everyone!

I tend to stick with carbs as a total. But when it comes to certain veggies, I don't freak out if I'm 'over' my carbs by a few grams as long as there is a good amount of fiber in them. Just trying to keep myself focused and honest!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat a ton of processed foods. Most of my carbs(when in Keto) come from chia, flax, hemp, and veggies. I do the net carb calculating unless I am out for the day and have to rely on protein bars and shakes for some meals. My body usually “stalls” or bloats or just in general over reacts to those days though. So I prefer my low processed days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always go with net carbs, so far it hasn't caused me any issues with migraines, so that's what I'm sticking with. I do workout a lot, so can probably tolerate more carbs than a sedentary person, which might be why net carbs as a goal works for me. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods, so most of my carbs are from salads.
  • k2626k
    k2626k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    All of this info has been very helpful! Thanks so much. I'm still confused about macros interms of ranges to aim for specific to fats and proteins. Just wondering what ratio people are eating interms of percentages and how you divide your total calories between carbs, fats and proteins. Thanks for your help.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my diary is open so you are welcome to take a look...I carb and calorie cycle, so you will see offset values for my low intake days.

however, as a point of reference, my low days are set to 25g carbs, 112g protein, and 1339 calories.

my high days are 112g carbs, 112g protein, and 2230 calories.

I was previously able to keep migraines under control with a 50g carb goal when I was not cycling. Much of it depends on individual desires, most people will be in ketosis under 50g of carbs per day, but everyone is a bit different as to where exactly that threshold is located.
  • k2626k
    k2626k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I never considered a carb and calorie cycle - great idea
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I always go with net carbs, so far it hasn't caused me any issues with migraines, so that's what I'm sticking with. I do workout a lot, so can probably tolerate more carbs than a sedentary person, which might be why net carbs as a goal works for me. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods, so most of my carbs are from salads.

You bring up a good point. I think activity plays a big part in what you should be concentrating on but everyone is different so it takes some experimentation to see what works and what doesn't. I know calculating net carbs works for me in losing weight, so long as my total carb count is not over 70. Otherwise I just maintain and only gain when I go over my daily calorie limit. For me, exercise plays more of an important role on stress management and muscle tone rather than weight loss but I think its a necessary component in any weight loss journey.
  • ToriOtsuki
    ToriOtsuki Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Since I rarely eat processed foods and am trying to do keto with lots of salads, i am going with net carbs and will continue to try to avoid sugars including sugar alcohols.