Fitbit
Garmin
Samsung
Polar
Apple
TomTom
Fossil

Let us know if you do.

Maybe you can add a couple of friends here to your feed and/or discuss ways you use your device to positively influence your health. App info can be discussed here as well.

Replies

• YAJ3507
    YAJ3507 Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm a Fitbit user!

I have a Charge HR I wear at home and at the gym. I have a Fitbit Aria HR I wear at work and a Zip I tuck into my clothing for more formal occasions when I don't want to have one on my wrist. I'm always covered. :smile:

My username is jyo3507 (Jennifer Y.)
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    jyoung3507 wrote: »
    I'm a Fitbit user!

I have a Charge HR I wear at home and at the gym. I have a Fitbit Aria HR I wear at work and a Zip I tuck into my clothing for more formal occasions when I don't want to have one on my wrist. I'm always covered. :smile:

What do you think about the Ionic? Worth the money?
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fitbit user here too!

I have the Alta (no HR) that I wear for all occasions. I also have a Garmin vivosmart HR somewhere but I don't like how it looks.
  • YAJ3507
    YAJ3507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a Fitbit user!

Good question! For my purposes, I don't think it's worth it. But for real athletes or very active people it could probably provide a lot of guidance and insight.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I'm a Fitbit user!

Good question! For my purposes, I don't think it's worth it. But for real athletes or very active people it could probably provide a lot of guidance and insight.

I had the Surge forever. LOVED it but it kept breaking....first the band started splitting, then it broke off. Got another one and the screen stopped swiping. Got another one and the HRM stopped working. I was done after that. Wasn’t going to get the Ionic because I felt like I’d have issues with it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Fitbit user here too!

I have the Alta (no HR) that I wear for all occasions. I also have a Garmin vivosmart HR somewhere but I don't like how it looks.

L, we have the same Garmin :) I LOVE mine. No issues so far. I have a navy one and I like the way it fits and that the screen is long and slender. No complaints here.
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fitbit user here too!

L, we have the same Garmin :) I LOVE mine. No issues so far. I have a navy one and I like the way it fits and that the screen is long and slender. No complaints here.

I had the non-HR one in purple which I LOVED, but the pixels on the screen kept breaking, and after sending me two replacements where the same thing happened they acknowledged that there was a real issue and 'upgraded' me to the HR version, but it was much chunkier. The Fitbit Alta is much more similar in size/shape to the non-HR one although still not as slim. I have tiny wrists and wanted something small, and wasn't actually that bothered about the heart rate monitoring.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge 2! I actually just got it so I definitely welcome new friends! My email is kburkhardt08@yahoo.com if anyone wants to add me :)
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Fitbit user here too!

I had the non-HR one in purple which I LOVED, but the pixels on the screen kept breaking, and after sending me two replacements where the same thing happened they acknowledged that there was a real issue and 'upgraded' me to the HR version, but it was much chunkier. The Fitbit Alta is much more similar in size/shape to the non-HR one although still not as slim. I have tiny wrists and wanted something small, and wasn't actually that bothered about the heart rate monitoring.

Ahhhhhh. I see. I better not have any issues with this one working or I’ll be disappointed.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin vivosmart HR+.

Not sure how to add people though..
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have the Garmin vivosmart HR+.

Not sure how to add people though..

Hi Stephanie! What’s your username on Garmin Connect? I’ll try and search for you then add you. I have the same watch without the GPS so no +. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin vivosmart HR synced with MFP. I love it. Set my activity to sedentary on MFP and it automatically adds calories. I don't manually input my workouts ( I don't want them posted on MFP and I don't want to "double dip" exercise calories).
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don’t have one, but been thinking of getting one ... just debating if to spend the money or not and not sure which one to get either (any suggestions ?)

So far I have been just inputting manually my workouts and MFP calculates the estimate of what I burned.... but my guess is not that accurate.
  • Zipbsky
    Options
    I don’t have one, but been thinking of getting one ... just debating if to spend the money or not and not sure which one to get either (any suggestions ?)

So far I have been just inputting manually my workouts and MFP calculates the estimate of what I burned.... but my guess is not that accurate.

If you can afford it, they are worth the money. I have only had Garmins so I can't recommend one brand over another. If you can, get one with HR monitor; thats how they calculate calorie burn. It took about a week for mine to calibrate to me, it was eye opening. Workouts that say they burn 500 calories, I burn closer to 300
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »

If you can afford it, they are worth the money. I have only had Garmins so I can't recommend one brand over another. If you can, get one with HR monitor; thats how they calculate calorie burn. It took about a week for mine to calibrate to me, it was eye opening. Workouts that say they burn 500 calories, I burn closer to 300

I have the same watch. If you purchase one it depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve done extensive research on many of them. Steps, swimming, running, heart rate.....they all differ in their focus. I can tell you I had a Fitbit for years and compared to the Garmin I love the Garmin much better. The two don’t compare to me. It’s more accurate and precise in nature and so far no hardware or software issues. I had several Fitbit (same model-Surge) because my band broke, screen stopped swiping and the the HRM stopped working. I was done after that. The Fitbit app is awesome though. Lots of good info and great people on there. Anyway, that’s just my experience. Decide for yourself what you like.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have a Garmin vivosmart HR synced with MFP. I love it. Set my activity to sedentary on MFP and it automatically adds calories. I don't manually input my workouts ( I don't want them posted on MFP and I don't want to "double dip" exercise calories).

Is there a reason you set yourself to ‘sedentary’? How would you double dip? Mine is synced as well so my workouts posts automatically too.
  • Zipbsky
    Options

Is there a reason you set yourself to ‘sedentary’? How would you double dip? Mine is synced as well so my workouts posts automatically too. [/quote]

I set it to sedentary because my non excercise activity varies dramatically depending on if I'm working or not. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious as far as the double dipping, because when I actually think about it -the watch would know when I did the workout so it wouldn't add step calories for that time frame.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

Is there a reason you set yourself to ‘sedentary’? How would you double dip? Mine is synced as well so my workouts posts automatically too.

I set it to sedentary because my non excercise activity varies dramatically depending on if I'm working or not. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious as far as the double dipping, because when I actually think about it -the watch would know when I did the workout so it wouldn't add step calories for that time frame.[/quote]

I believe thats why MFP subtracts out some steps. I think they have all that covered that your speaking of. I think. I don’t know for sure.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer at home so I get some steps in. My first HR monitor watch worked for body cycle workout but unable to change the battery. The new one is so hard to get the pulse rate, I just use it for time and go by MFP.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I wear a pedometer at home so I get some steps in. My first HR monitor watch worked for body cycle workout but unable to change the battery. The new one is so hard to get the pulse rate, I just use it for time and go by MFP.

Which one do you have?
This discussion has been closed.