Hi! from New Member

Options
Hi! - Eager to loose some kilo's - any tips apart from walking/running!

Replies

• monicaamy902
    monicaamy902 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Having more muscle burns more calories and fat!
  • jrhose
    jrhose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Slowly get rid of sugar and dairy. Its amazing what can happen!
  • tarshyA14
    tarshyA14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Joining a fitness class can be a great way to motivate, meet like minded people and learn some new ways to move the body as well as the technique
  • rgec58
    rgec58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just joined today. Have been researching Clean Eating. Decided today to commit to this life style change. Any tips on cleaning my pantry, refrigerator and counter replacing the food items with clean food, without going bankrupt? Also, is it easier to go all in or, as some suggest, gradually move into it, 1 meal to 2 meals, to 3 meals per day, replacing items as you go?

I'm usually an all-in-kind-of person.
  • laburto
    laburto Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy
  • aec18
    aec18 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is the way I want to eat and do most of the time. 2018, the year my health will be changed for the good. Any tips
  • rgec58
    Options
    As I look at transitioning to this healthy way of eating, I think planning will be a significant aspect of being successful and consistent. I went through our pantry and refrigerator. What I found was frightening. Added sugar, added salt (sometimes hidden), preservatives...even in shredded cheese, which has an additive that keeps it from sticking together or molding. We are going to plan our meals, purchase what we need for them and start replacing items in our pantry and refrigerator as we go. Can't look back, have to look forward.
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    rgec58 wrote: »
    As I look at transitioning to this healthy way of eating, I think planning will be a significant aspect of being successful and consistent. I went through our pantry and refrigerator. What I found was frightening. Added sugar, added salt (sometimes hidden), preservatives...even in shredded cheese, which has an additive that keeps it from sticking together or molding. We are going to plan our meals, purchase what we need for them and start replacing items in our pantry and refrigerator as we go. Can't look back, have to look forward.

I would use up what you have but then find different things to replace them with. I grate cheese myself and freeze it (for example) and use it later on lasagne or if I make a quiche.

Do you have a cash and carry place like cost-co ? maybe try shopping there. Its in bulk, but you can make larger portions and freeze some for another day. I buy meat like this as its really expensive here in Switzerland then I portion it out and freeze in 500g bags to use later.

Instead of buying pasta sauces use a tin of tomatoes and add herbs to your own taste. much cheaper than shop bought sauces and you can control the sugar and salt if thats an issue for you.
    Hi! - Eager to loose some kilo's - any tips apart from walking/running!

get some small hand weights or some of those wrist weights and use your arms more whilst running/walking. Its made quite a difference to me and is an easy change. join a gym class and make friends there. It will make going on a weekly basis more fun. If thats not an option download some workout apps to use at home. I use yoga studio and a 7 minute workout app.

I also try to do my workout in the morning as then I am less likely to be naughty with for choices later in the day... I also plan my daily food diary and If I want to add in a glass of wine... I spend longer on the treadmill or rowing machine. That also makes me realise how much I have to work for that glass of wine and I appreciate it a little more.
  • rgec58
    Options
    Thanks for the help, SwissHausfrau. We are in the middle of a move now, as well. So, I will take your advice and start replacing items was we shop. Is Ezekiel Bread sprouted bread considered "clean?"
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    rgec58 wrote: »
    Is Ezekiel Bread sprouted bread considered "clean?"

I have no idea what that Ezekiel Bread is I'm afraid.... I live in Switzerland and don't get anywhere near the amount of products I see people talk about on here.
    My 'ready meal' section in the supermarket only have ready made pasta - ravioli- and pizzas. our frozen food section is about half an aisle in the supermarket....
    'clean eating' or cooking 'whole foods' is the default here...
  • Laurahenson29
    Laurahenson29 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just joined today. Have been researching Clean Eating. Decided today to commit to this life style change. Any tips on cleaning my pantry, refrigerator and counter replacing the food items with clean food, without going bankrupt? Also, is it easier to go all in or, as some suggest, gradually move into it, 1 meal to 2 meals, to 3 meals per day, replacing items as you go?

I'm usually an all-in-kind-of person.

It will bankrupt you, no joke. My grocery bill has nearly doubled. But the end results are worth it. If you can't pronounce the ingredient or if there are more than 3 ingredients then it is not clean. Stick to organic fruits and veggies. I still eat organic meats at times, but I stick to vegetables and occasionally fish.