Activity Tracker Owners - Post Here!

Options

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just like @poeciliareticulata, I used to have a non-HR Garmin Vivosmart (purple also) that I LOVED. Just like hers, mine went wonky. Even though the guarantee was over, the company kindly replaced it at no charge with the Vivosmart HR version. Again like @poeciliareticulata, I found it to be less attractive on my wimpy wrist, but like @smithsonians, I loved the features.

Alas, the Vivosmart HR also konked out after only a couple of months and I didn't bother to deal with the company anymore. I miss the data, though, and also had it nicely synched with MFP. Seeing this discussion makes me think that I should get a new one or try to resuscitate my old one. I liked seeing the calorie burns. Even if they are not perfect, all I do now is use the MFP estimates from its "exercise bank", which is surely far less accurate.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Ladies, it seems some of us have had similar issues with our devices no matter the brand. May I suggest, and I’m no expect nor a spokesperson for anyone or any company (I NEED TO POINT THAT OUT), if you purchase a fitness tracker from Best Buy and put Geek Squad protection on it you’ll be covered no matter what. Now as far as issues with the actual device itself....extensive YouTube research is what I suggest. None of these devices are 100% accurate but some are just better than others. An example— during my research I told myself when I get REALLY serious about running I’m going to get a Garmin (higher end one than I have now)...WHY?....because they make GPSs for cars, which they started before they made fitness watches and I’ve watched tons of videos and they are accurate enough for me. Also when I press the run function on my watch I love the features and how I receive such detailed info. But some people want to focus on steps and steps alone. Get you a basic model of something and you’ll be satisfied.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Just like @poeciliareticulata, I used to have a non-HR Garmin Vivosmart (purple also) that I LOVED. Just like hers, mine went wonky. Even though the guarantee was over, the company kindly replaced it at no charge with the Vivosmart HR version. Again like @poeciliareticulata, I found it to be less attractive on my wimpy wrist, but like @smithsonians, I loved the features.

Alas, the Vivosmart HR also konked out after only a couple of months and I didn't bother to deal with the company anymore. I miss the data, though, and also had it nicely synched with MFP. Seeing this discussion makes me think that I should get a new one or try to resuscitate my old one. I liked seeing the calorie burns. Even if they are not perfect, all I do now is use the MFP estimates from its "exercise bank", which is surely far less accurate.

Maybe the model has gotten “better”....you know, over time. I think for me it’s just motivating to see data. I’m into numbers. Geek here. Don’t judge :neutral: It’s fine to use MFP if that’s what you want. When I used it I just logged 1 calorie for my workout, 2 if I worked really hard. Lol!
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin vivosmart HR+.

Not sure how to add people though..

Hi Stephanie! What’s your username on Garmin Connect? I’ll try and search for you then add you. I have the same watch without the GPS so no +. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?

I've had mine since April 2017. I'm really loving it and honestly it's the only watch I've ever worn day in and day out. I'm very much a data person being an accountant and I love history on my stats. It's very motivating too when you see how little you burn when you don't do much activity!!

My username is tephanieS1234.

• tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »

Is there a reason you set yourself to ‘sedentary’? How would you double dip? Mine is synced as well so my workouts posts automatically too.

I set it to sedentary because my non excercise activity varies dramatically depending on if I'm working or not. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious as far as the double dipping, because when I actually think about it -the watch would know when I did the workout so it wouldn't add step calories for that time frame. [/quote]

I also set mine to sedentary because I don't like the massive negative adjustments at the end of the day. So I put the bare minimum calories and let the watch keep track of if I'm active or not.
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch 2. I love it. I have had it for a year and would be lost without it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Can anybody explain the negative steps? Why do we get them? How can we prevent them?....I don’t understand.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have the Garmin vivosmart HR+.

Not sure how to add people though..

Hi Stephanie! What’s your username on Garmin Connect? I’ll try and search for you then add you. I have the same watch without the GPS so no +. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?

I've had mine since April 2017. I'm really loving it and honestly it's the only watch I've ever worn day in and day out. I'm very much a data person being an accountant and I love history on my stats. It's very motivating too when you see how little you burn when you don't do much activity!!

My username is tephanieS1234.

I sent you a request. You’ll be my first friend on there :smile:
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Alta HR. I love it, and I also have MFP set to sedentary because as a teacher there are days I will have 12000 steps, and other days only 2000. I think the fitbit it pretty accurate on the calories it gives me for exercising.
    The only time it doesn't seem to make sense is when I bike ride. For instance if I walk 10000 steps it gives me about 500 calories, but if I ride 10 miles it gives me 400 calories for that, but then only gives me an additional 100 calories for the steps even though I may have walked 8000 steps.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I have the fitbit Alta HR. I love it, and I also have MFP set to sedentary because as a teacher there are days I will have 12000 steps, and other days only 2000. I think the fitbit it pretty accurate on the calories it gives me for exercising.
    The only time it doesn't seem to make sense is when I bike ride. For instance if I walk 10000 steps it gives me about 500 calories, but if I ride 10 miles it gives me 400 calories for that, but then only gives me an additional 100 calories for the steps even though I may have walked 8000 steps.

So if you set your activity to sedentary versus lightly active that’s better?
  • LynnJ9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Can anybody explain the negative steps? Why do we get them? How can we prevent them?....I don’t understand.

If you set your activity to lightly active or active, MFP expects you to walk a certain number of steps based on that setting. It then allots you calories for those steps in your daily allowance. If you do not walk enough steps to justify the extra calories given due to your activity setting, MFP will deduct the calories. To avoid the negative calories walk more, or set your activity to sedentary and let MFP add calories when you walk above the sedentary level.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options

As far as I know, you don't get negative steps. If you set your activity level to say lightly active but don't take enough steps to actually be lightly active ( I think the # is 3000, but I'm not sure) then MFP changes that day's calories to reflect your activity level. The worst part is the adjustment happens at the end of the day so you may have already eaten those calories.
  • LynnJ9
    Options

So if you set your activity to sedentary versus lightly active that’s better?

I like it better for three reasons. First, because I have the days I walk 12000 steps, but i also have the days I am in meetings all day and barely walk 2000 steps; sedentary is more appropriate on those days. Second, I figure the days it underestimates my exercise calories due to my bike riding makes up for the days I unintentionally underestimate my food calories when logging. And third, I like to see all the calories I burn from exercising. It keeps me cognizant of the impact of just walking. I think if I set my activity level to lightly active and I didn't see the exercise calories accumulate during the day I wouldn't be as motivated to find opportunities to walk.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

If you set your activity to lightly active or active, MFP expects you to walk a certain number of steps based on that setting. It then allots you calories for those steps in your daily allowance. If you do not walk enough steps to justify the extra calories given due to your activity setting, MFP will deduct the calories. To avoid the negative calories walk more, or set your activity to sedentary and let MFP add calories when you walk above the sedentary level.

I JUST SAW THE LIGHT! Thank you for this explanation. I never understood why I kept getting negatives. You’re an awesome explainer!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »

As far as I know, you don't get negative steps. If you set your activity level to say lightly active but don't take enough steps to actually be lightly active ( I think the # is 3000, but I'm not sure) then MFP changes that day's calories to reflect your activity level. The worst part is the adjustment happens at the end of the day so you may have already eaten those calories.

I set my own calories to 1800. They gave me less but I’m just eating more. I can’t even remember what number they gave me.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Alta HR. I love it!
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge 2 and I love it. I've had it for almost a year with no issues. Well that's not completely true. I somehow managed to crack the screen but I bought some screen protectors and it's still chugging along with the crack in it. :smile:
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge 2 and I love it. I've had it for almost a year with no issues. Well that's not completely true. I somehow managed to crack the screen but I bought some screen protectors and it's still chugging along with the crack in it. :smile:

If you’re within a year they should replace it for you.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    HR monitor watch is "Everlast."
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit charge 2. I wear it 24/7. I also set to sedentary, since I am not on my feet all day. Some days I have 4000 steps, others 10000. My preferred form of exercise is biking or spinning, and get most steps in on weekends when I go on a hike. I live in Chicago so the weather the past several weekends has not been conducive to being outside.
This discussion has been closed.