wectmall
wectmall Posts: 50 Member
are eas protein shakes ok for keto? thanks

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Might be. Not sure what the carbs are.
    I think whole food sources of protein are going to serve you much better though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Orgain Protein ones looked low enough last time I checked. Premier Protein ones looked okay, too, if I remember. I have done the AdvantEDGE ones by EAS, and they were okay carb-wise and such - but they were so thin to me. If you're just looking for a quick boost and not expecting it to carry you more than 3 hours (I think it's like 125 calories?), they're not bad. Full EAS ones are probably too carby...
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    EAS has the Myoplex Ketogenic Meal Replacement Drinks, but I have never tried them. If you are referring to premade shakes, there will be huge variances in nutritional data depending on brand and even flavors. Protein powders themselves are not created equal, so the shakes often have even larger differences! Read labels closely.
  • leswa99
    leswa99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not sure about keto, but I’ve used the chocolate ones for many years. I really like the dark chocolate ones
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I recently started using a protein powder simply for a switch off meat, fish, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt. I think any I've tried were about 6 carbs. My favorite for taste is Dymatize Peanut Butter. It is on the thin side but the taste is great to me. I've also tried Quest PB and Amplify Creamy Chocolate. Both are good in regards to taste and whip up like a thick milk shake when you add ice and put in a blender which Dymatize does not do. Dymatize has a more reasonable price.

I've read that most protein powders miss 2 essential amino acids so would agree with the post above that meat/fish would be the better staple. I've not really researched them. I use them as an occasion supplement. Dymatize powder is nice in Greek yogurt. The other two make it thicker than I prefer.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The new EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes provide 17g protein from soy and peas, with only 3g carbs, if that's all you care about. I have no idea how it tastes; I avoid soy as a protein source as it disagrees with me. I do better with whey protein shakes, provided they also include a little casein. However, they tend to be insulinogenic for me, and I become ravenous in short order.

I am hard put to find a better example of a "frankenfood" than ready-to-drink protein shakes. You're better off eating real, whole foods. But I can see how some folks may find them helpful. I drink one every so often, like kpk.