Winter 2018 - Week 1

Options

Replies

• leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to this party! I was lost not knowing how to find the group! Ha! I am looking forward to this group and challenge. I know if I can succeed these first steps, I can continue. :smiley:
  • C_h_a_r_l_e_n_e
    C_h_a_r_l_e_n_e Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This week is off to a rocky start, just getting over a nasty stomach bug, but I am back on track today!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    ]
    spzjlb wrote: »
    LZMiner wrote: »
    All this talk about Italy is making me HUNGRY...and jealous! Sounds like a great adventure! I don't weigh my food, but I definitely count/log and stay active. I quit the gym last fall and started working out at home, with Beachbody on Demand, and a 30-day yoga series, "True," on Yoga with Adrienne. I really like the flexibility of working out at home. How is everyone staying active?

I also work out every morning at home for at least 30 min. Home workouts are not for everyone, but they work well for me. I also like the flexibility and not having to drag my crap to and from a gym. I especially hate having to go out from the gym into the cold winter air when I am sweaty.

Since we live in a climate where outdoor exercise is not easy in winter, I have a treadmill and elliptical as well as DVDs (and videos - eek, I am pretty old compared to some of you). These days I enjoy on-line workouts from FitnessBlender and PopSugar. That hard workout gives me room in my food log for a glass of wine or other treat. Plus, I feel virtuous all day.

It took me a very long time to get into the groove of daily workouts. I had to learn that the crappy feeling of skipping a workout is much worse than any discomfort associated with actually exercising.

Powerful statement here folks!!!!! I love your honesty.
  • kpush910
    kpush910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m in total agreement, I used to get up every morning drag myself out to the gym. However in the last year we bought a treadmill, a peloton bike, and a bunch of free weights. It’s been so much better working out at home and I’m Working out just about every day.. My favorite workouts are the Peloton, and fitness blender videos for strength training.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    kpush910 wrote: »
    I’m in total agreement, I used to get up every morning drag myself out to the gym. However in the last year we bought a treadmill, a peloton bike, and a bunch of free weights. It’s been so much better working out at home and I’m Working out just about every day.. My favorite workouts are the Peloton, and fitness blender videos for strength training.

Oh my goodness!!!! You have a Peloton!!!!!! Do you love it? How does it work?
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kpush910 I got a peloton some months back to bring to Italy ... it took forever to get internet installed at home, so could not do the videos ... but as of this week I will start ... any recommendations? I have been just riding with music and following it. I was able to clip my shoes but I can’t I unclip them :D so I just leave them attached all the time ....
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    @kpush910 I got a peloton some months back to bring to Italy ... it took forever to get internet installed at home, so could not do the videos ... but as of this week I will start ... any recommendations? I have been just riding with music and following it. I was able to clip my shoes but I can’t I unclip them :D so I just leave them attached all the time ....

Not my thing but can you find race videos? I have heard that you can ride with the Tour de France and that kind of thing. Might be fun. Sorry if I’m really off base
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Please excuse any posts or replies that end up in the wrong place. I’m struggling with this format.

I’m doing pretty good at keeping my calories under control. My goal is to keep my sugars down and I’ve got my added sugars down to about 15 g but when I keep adding fruit to get my fiber up, my sugars are going over my allowance. Thoughts? Also having a problem getting enough protein. And started getting headaches this week which I attribute to increasing my water too much (too fast) and depleting potassium and salts. I was avoiding bananas because of the sugars (19 g) and adding a banana back adds sugar but not much fiber.

On a lighter note, I snuck some kale in the my husband’s salad last night and he didn’t even notice.

I think one of the hardest things about this is once you clean things up for yourself, you have to bite your tongue not to point out that everyone else is eating crap.
  • C_h_a_r_l_e_n_e
    C_h_a_r_l_e_n_e Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cxwhit3 wrote: »
    Please excuse any posts or replies that end up in the wrong place. I’m struggling with this format.

I’m doing pretty good at keeping my calories under control. My goal is to keep my sugars down and I’ve got my added sugars down to about 15 g but when I keep adding fruit to get my fiber up, my sugars are going over my allowance. Thoughts? Also having a problem getting enough protein. And started getting headaches this week which I attribute to increasing my water too much (too fast) and depleting potassium and salts. I was avoiding bananas because of the sugars (19 g) and adding a banana back adds sugar but not much fiber.

On a lighter note, I snuck some kale in the my husband’s salad last night and he didn’t even notice.

I think one of the hardest things about this is once you clean things up for yourself, you have to bite your tongue not to point out that everyone else is eating crap.

I also struggle with keeping my sugar down. Personally, sugar from fruit doesn't effect me like sugar from sweets. Yesterday I was at 34g, only 16g of that was from sugary cereals and other hidden places like bread. The remaining 18g came from fruit and real cheese.

Some people go all sugar is bad, I go all added sugar is bad. Mostly because I love my daily apple.
  • shamac35153
    shamac35153 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all. So I don’t weigh my food with a sale but just use the diet measuring equivalents palm hand etc. and I never measure veggies. This works for me. So I’ll stick to it. Today did 45 min spin class... I joined a new gym about two months ago it has a ton of different classes so far so good.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I literally just focus on caloric intake. Recently I have told myself to cut back on rice, pasta, bread of any sort---which I realized are categorized as carbs (hey I'm a slow learner)--and I feel better in doing so. Counting macros to me is SO COMPLICATED-unless I literally ate the same exact thing every day or had someone give me a meal plan with the shopping list included. For protein I do eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, Greek yogurt, walnuts, protein shake, tilapia, tuna and boneless skinless chicken breast. I normally get "enough" and stay full and get close the the 130 grams per day I am supposed to have. As for water, I think I get headaches because I'm not drinking enough...so opposite of you. I know bananas are sugary fruit but I eat them; I don't know I try not to get too bogged down in all the "rules".

Totally agree about the biting tongue thing; I try and just be an observer of others' and their habits unless they ask for my opinion.
  • kpush910
    edited January 2018
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »

Not my thing but can you find race videos? I have heard that you can ride with the Tour de France and that kind of thing. Might be fun. Sorry if I’m really off base

There are great scenic rides, just pedal along, no music or instructors. But I like the coaching and music and do most do my classes on demand.
  • kpush910
    Options
    kpush910 wrote: »

Oh my goodness!!!! You have a Peloton!!!!!! Do you love it? How does it work?

I’ve had it for a few years now, and I love it. It’s a great workout, and there are a lot of different class styles (heart rate zone, tabata, intervals, Hill climbs, low intensity, and even groove rides where you just have fun with the music). Various class lengths, 15-20-30-45-60 minutes, and 11 different instructors. I take a lot of my classes on demand, on my own schedule, but the format is such that you still see everyone’s stats real time so you can compete on the leaderboard, or turn it off entirely. For me it’s definitely been worth the investment as it keeps me motivated and I do 3-5 rides a week.

• cxwhit3
    Options
    Ok I’m a moron. How to I reply to a specific comment?
  • kpush910
    Options

LOL, yea, you do have to show the shoes who’s boss! Point toes towards the floor and push your heel to the outside, almost like someone smacked your heel from the center of the bike.

Start with some of the shorter rides, if you click on a ride on demand it will also show you the music/playlist so you can decide if you like the music before you start the ride. With the variety of coaches, it’s easy to find a few favorites.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options

I literally just focus on caloric intake. Recently I have told myself to cut back on rice, pasta, bread of any sort---which I realized are categorized as carbs (hey I'm a slow learner)--and I feel better in doing so. Counting macros to me is SO COMPLICATED-unless I literally ate the same exact thing every day or had someone give me a meal plan with the shopping list included. For protein I do eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, Greek yogurt, walnuts, protein shake, tilapia, tuna and boneless skinless chicken breast. I normally get "enough" and stay full and get close the the 130 grams per day I am supposed to have. As for water, I think I get headaches because I'm not drinking enough...so opposite of you. I know bananas are sugary fruit but I eat them; I don't know I try not to get too bogged down in all the "rules".

Totally agree about the biting tongue thing; I try and just be an observer of others' and their habits unless they ask for my opinion.

I also wouldn’t worry about sugars in fruit, unless you’re a diabetic. For me, like @SmithsonianEmpress, the calories are my principle concern. I also make choices to maximize dietary fibre, which is why fruits such as berries are great. I make an effort to eat bits of good quality protein frequently simply because it helps fill me up. But I focus primarily on calories.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

No naming calling PLEASE ;)...click on Quote at the bottom of the post and then scroll down to Reply and the person's post should appear in the box for you to respond to it.
  • cxwhit3
    Options

No naming calling PLEASE ;)...click on Quote at the bottom of the post and then scroll down to Reply and the person's post should appear in the box for you to respond to it.

Thanks
  • cxwhit3
    Options

I also struggle with keeping my sugar down. Personally, sugar from fruit doesn't effect me like sugar from sweets. Yesterday I was at 34g, only 16g of that was from sugary cereals and other hidden places like bread. The remaining 18g came from fruit and real cheese.

Some people go all sugar is bad, I go all added sugar is bad. Mostly because I love my daily apple.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been feeling poorly. Glad that you’re on the mend.

I’m trying to keep my sugars down because my blood lipids are higher than they should be. I know that sounds counterintuitive but that’s what my doctor and I discussed. I have cut the majority of added sugars out, only leaving in coffee creamer and my collagen replenish chews. All my other sugars are coming from natural sources so I’m probably OK. Once my current bottle of coffee creamer is gone, It’ll be heavy cream only in my coffee.