Anyone actually consult their Doc's prior to Keto?

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
I have already decided to contact my Doctor as I already have issues with Cholesterol. I am approaching Keto with healthy options in mind.

(Ie fatty fish with as many greens and veggies as my macros will allow)

I was just curious if any of you are being monitored by your Doctors and how it's going.

Thanks,
Terri

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was pushed into low carb and keto both by my Primary Care Doctor and my Endocrinologist. After being keto for a while, keto helped to uncover some previously underlying nutrient deficiencies I had to address, and doing so has made a huge difference in my overall health.

My triglycerides went way down, my HDL went up, and my LDL stayed around the same or went up a bit... The HDL to trigs ratio is most important for heart health. It can take a long time for this to level out, depending on how much weight you have to lose and what health conditions you're addressing...

Keto is very helpful for numerous other health conditions, so it really depends on what your goals are, how best to tweak the plan...
  • dgreene37
    dgreene37 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started keto on my own even though my doctor wanted me to keep carb intake at a higher level. He's OK with me staying on it for a while but wants me to come off keto as I near my weight loss goal. He did order tests to check my sodium and potassium levels without my having to ask. Both were in the lower end of the normal range but since then I've been adding salt and bouillon to bring my sodium intake up closer to 5g/day and taking a potassium supplement.

My doctor's advice falls into the low fat and more exercise category.
  • Figaver
    Figaver Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My doctor is fine with me eating this way, although he wanted me to eat more protein and cut back on the fat. But the low carbs he was all for.
  • sailorjenni13
    sailorjenni13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to my doctor for PCOS issues, and left with amy doctor pushing me to try the ketodiet.He made me a huge booklet for it, and anytime I have questions, he quickly answers them.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to my doctor prior to going Keto, but my Dr. was eventually made aware of my decision to do so within couple of months of starting. I'm in my 4th year of Keto now. It took 4 years for ALL of my cholesterol numbers to normalize. Prior to Keto, my good cholesterol was always low and my bad cholesterol was always high...you know, typical story. Also, there really is no such thing as "fatty" fish unless you are specifically referring to fish oil supplements...? But fish with cream, butter-based, cheese-based sauces or homemade tartar sauce with healthy fats...now that's good eating.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My TCM practitioner (Acupuncturist/Traditional Chinese Medicine) recommended keto to me. It took a year before I was ready to try his advice, but I'm so glad I did.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of different opinions on keto from doctors.

Endocrinologist (who said she would monitor my pre diabetic status) siad to eat lean meats, and more fruits and vegetables - not keto.

Orthomolecular doctor (who treats through nutrition and supplements) recommended it.

One family doctor was for it, another was neutral.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Went to my doc just after I started Keto. Was a little worried how he’d respond but he was very interested (he has witnessed my weight struggles over the years). He had me do monthly blood work for three mnths. Went to see him yesterday and everything was perfect .... or better. He was impressed w my weight loss and my continued positive attitude about this woe. He warned me that the weight wld come back on when I returned to my “normal” diet but I explained that this is my new normal. Now he wants me to go in to check ldl/hdl. I think I am his new Guinea pig.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with T2D, I tried the diet the doctor gave me. Glucose was very high every time I checked. I went keto and the glucose numbers fell. The doctor was astonished when he saw my lowered A1C and said it was so unusual to see a patient following the plan. I told him the success was due to my ignoring his recommendations, and he laughed. "It seems to be working," he said.

I keep intending to tell him about the keto diet, but I have never quite gotten to that point. He is very old school and is unlikely to approve, although he does like the results he is seeing.

So... to answer your question, I did not tell him before I started. I have not told him since, although I did say I was "watching my carbs." "Watching carbs" is not so radical as saying you are limiting carbs to 20 per day.
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am actually working with a doctor and nurse practitioner who specialize in weight loss on the Keto WOE. They help track your progress and give a lot of support. What I love is they don't give rules, just guidance and information. They also say that everyone's ratios are going to be different, so try what works and if it doesn't work, they will try something different. Very flexible and focused on helping you get healthy. Have enjoyed working with them so far!