Getting discouraged

Options
Been doing this for 10 days now and my weight is up 5#'s. That's alot. I am in ketosis at 80 on the keto sticks. Now before you guys tell me to stay off the scale I just want you to know; this is my 3rd attempt at this. My first attempt was great loss 11 pounds the first month, then I went to Mexico and then "life". So if anyone wants to look at my food and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, I would appreciate it. I am hoping my fat cells are just filling up with water. Please help...Thanks

Replies

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You'll need to open your diary if you want us to take a look.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It is open @Jigglypuff00. Diaries set to public can be viewed when on the website but not the app if your are not "friends". The options (I think) are public, friends only, locked with key and private. Not sure. I haven't looked in that category of settings for a long time. There might be a category of "mfp members only" also. The later exists for some things. Maybe that is profile??

Anyway, @candiigraham I looked at your food diary. Nothing really jumped out a me. Your're not eating much, your macros seem set reasonably to get the typical grams of carbs, protein, fat on keto. Food choices are reasonable. The bacon calories seemed low until I realized it was probably TURKEY bacon.

It is a puzzle. Do you have any health issues? PCOS? Thyroid problems? I don't have knowledge with those but see they often come up as making it quite difficult to lose weight. I have also seen 1 or 2 people report over the years that it took them 30-45 days to see the scale move then they had a big "whoosh".

It would be discouraging as it seems you should be losing if you have EVERYTHING in your diary that you have eaten. Extra bites of cheese and unmeasured coconut oil in BPC can add up quickly. Still, you have a lot of room for error with some of your very low calorie days.

One a side note, what the heck kind of exercise are you doing and for how many hours to get those 1000+ calorie calorie burns!! Doesn't matter since your not eating back exercise calories but that is one hello of a burn on a regular basis.

ETA: what I mean by "website" (in the 1st paragraph) in case someone does not understand-one has to be using their computer/desktop/laptop to see some diaries. The website and the app are quite different.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary and a lot of your foods that I think should have even one carb has 0. Do you scan your food or self input? You may be eating more carbs than you think. Also, there’s a lot of sweets on there. Not judging, I love sweets. But they also don’t seem to have the carbs that they should be having. I would probably try to stay away from that for now. Like sugar-free jello and stuff like that. But I’m no expert on keto.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Or if you really are burning that many calories then the weight gain may be muscle! I didn’t think about that.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    sbryanthc wrote: »
    Or if you really are burning that many calories then the weight gain may be muscle! I didn’t think about that.

I was thinking the same thing. Lean Muscle weighs more than fat. @candiigraham are your clothes fitting better and muscle tone improving? Also its only been 10 days give it some time, I've been stuck at a weight plateau now since before the holidays. Sometimes things like that happen. You have to treat most weight loss journeys like a marathon and not a sprint.
  • kpk54
    Options
    I would think a 5 pound gain might be more related to water retention created from increased use of muscle. I doubt any body/muscle building expert would suggest 5 pounds of muscle (or any amount) could be built in 10 days especially when in a calorie deficit. Just my opinion based on general reading.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think 5# in 10 days is mostly water - up or down, it's just not feasible for that to be either a fat loss or a muscle gain in that quantity that fast.

So, it's likely water shifts, and not something to fret about. Your previous 11# loss in a month was also probably mostly water...give it another 3 weeks for your body to finish adapting to keto. Most fluctuations in the first month are just water and not something to take seriously.

Also, take into account your time of month, I can easily swing 5# during certain times of the month.
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    To gain 5 lbs in fat, you'd have to consume 35,000 calories more than you burned each day. That didn't happen. Sounds like your body is retaining fluid somewhere. Are you pooping ok? That can add up as well. I feel like you're ok as far as fat loss, especially if you're keeping your macros correct.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It takes about 5 weeks to convert over to being a true fat burner. The initial weight loss is water.

I understand your frustration because I also have a difficult time losing weight. Probably your mitochondria is not working as it should. Those that are in my boat, gain weight just before we lose it. If you are in ketosis and go up, then rejoice because you are about to lose. It takes at least one year on keto to repair your mitochondria. Do not stop because you have not truly reached the fat burning mode.
    "how to burn the most fat" video by Dr. Berg DC.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk&t=535s
    Like many websites, he is trying to sell you his services, but I only watch the free videos.
    Hopefully, others on this site will point you to some good videos, also.

For me to lose weight, I have to be in ketosis, keep my calories below what MFP says, and daily take nascent iodine, oysters, sardines, and avocado.
    Also, against what is normally believed, eat egg yolks, not the whites.
    It fixes your liver which also helps drop weight.
    I no longer have a fatty liver (med scan proves it).
    https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2010/11/23/sweet-truth-about-liver-and-egg-yolks/

Learn Buteyko Breathing...which also helps drop pounds because it fixes blood sugar levels.
    http://www.learnbuteyko.tv/videos
    Yes, they offer training for money, but I have so far only done the free stuff.
    I am ready to pay for training, but you can get a lot from the free stuff.

You are the sum of what you have eaten for the last year.
    One month down (for you) and 11 more to go. Don't stop.

People on this board...please give her some websites to visit for more help in her keto journey.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    62apples wrote: »

You are the sum of what you have eaten for the last year.
    One month down (for you) and 11 more to go. Don't stop.

People on this board...please give her some websites to visit for more help in her keto journey.

This is the base of keto:
    1. The scale is a liar. It only gives one puzzle piece in the entire picture. Take measurements. They'll show you things when the scale is silent.
    2. Carbs are a ceiling in grams. Don't exceed them.
    3. Protein is a range in grams based upon your height, weight, lean body mass, and activity level. Meet it. Use a keto calculator to help you figure out that range. I prefer the "ankerl keto calculator" range calculation.
    4. Fill the rest with fat to satiety. Fat is not bad. It's good for your health and hormones. But no need to slather yourself in it.
    5. Keep your electrolytes up. Mainly sodium (3,000mg -5,000mg per DAY) and supplement 300-400mg daily of magnesium if you need.
    6. Drink to thirst.
    7. Get enough sleep.
    8. Move your body doing exercise you hate the least. Human bodies were made to move.
    9. Be patient. Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I don't know what else to tell you. If people get bored, then they can search for keto recipes. There are a billion and two. Keto doesn't have to be complicated. Keto can be as simple or as high maintenance as you want it to be.
    Do the thing every day as stated above. Time will take care of the rest.

If anyone is dying for a website to tell them what to do, and one that won't spout nonsense or give you incorrect info, try Reddit Keto's FAQ: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq. It's all you really need.

Been doing this for 10 days now and my weight is up 5#'s. That's alot. I am in ketosis at 80 on the keto sticks. Now before you guys tell me to stay off the scale I just want you to know; this is my 3rd attempt at this. My first attempt was great loss 11 pounds the first month, then I went to Mexico and then "life". So if anyone wants to look at my food and make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, I would appreciate it. I am hoping my fat cells are just filling up with water. Please help...Thanks

My personal experience can give you this advice:

Count carbs and calories. Keep your logging vigilant and tight. Give it time. I've talked to many many keto folk, and read many many thousands of comments, pointing to the fact that subsequent weightloss attempts go like this: your body is a pouting, foot-dragging punk. It holds water in your fat cells for longer in the beginning as it doesn't believe you are going to do it this time. It's a spiteful turd that you just have to wait out. Check your measurements every 2 weeks. They trump whatever nonsense the scale will give you.

10 days is nothing. It feels like forever, but it's just a tiny tick on the timeline. With the exception of water weight from carb refill, results on the scale and in measurements often take a minimum of 2 weeks and sometimes even 4 to translate into a response in the numbers. Time is going to pass anyway, whether or not you do anything. Make a commitment to your health to put this work in. Like I said, time will take care of the rest if you maintain consistency. You deserve this. You are worth it.

Stick with it.

SO MUCH THIS ^^^... @candiigraham

I would add a number 10 to that list.

10. Focus on ridding yourself of stress. Stress is counter to ALL aspects of health. Stressing over losing weight, not, dietary plans, all that - IT TURNS OFF FAT BURNING. So if you're super stressed and still losing weight, it's far more likely that your body is strip-mining your muscles for that energy and weight loss...not the fat stores you have... And I'm sorry, I don't think any of us want that!

Also, unlike when a woman has a second pregnancy, and the body is like, "Oh, I remember this!" and the body shows the pregnancy right away and all that, losing weight is just the opposite.

The body likes STASIS. It CRAVES stasis. And maintaining at a lower weight takes more work...so the body goes up to 75% or higher of it's heaviest weight. Then it clings on for dear life.

The first time you toss keto at your body, it's in shock and awe. Off goes the water weight. Fat afterburners kick in to high gear, and you chug along down the weight loss train.

Then life.

The second time you toss keto at it, it's all like, yeah, we remember this... *sigh* Okay, OKAY...we'll participate grudgingly... And progress...maybe close to the first time, maybe slower...

Then life...as always happens.

The third time your body is like. Yeah, we've been here, done that. You aren't going to stick with it. Life is going to dump a dump truck worth of stress and hectic stuff and life crap on you..and you're going to survive that first. We know, it's okay. Just get on with it so we can get back to chilling in stasis over here. (a couple weeks go by - the body is like, really? you're still doing this? Naw, you'll stop, we'll wait...)

Then maybe 4-6 weeks goes by the body, like a moody, feet dragging, black hoodie wearing angry teen, finally goes. Fine... fine... FINE- get off my back, we'll do this... and then goes slowly...

The body likes to stay where it is... So, the more times you go off plan for a time, and get back to it, the less quickly and efficiently the body will respond in general. Addressing health issues helps. Getting plenty of sleep helps. Reducing stress helps. Nourishing the body with plenty of nutrients helps, etc.

One final caveat. If you have any health issues, and I mean ANY health issues, the body MUST heal first, before it can even begin to think about dropping weight. A friend of mine who is a newly diagnosed diabetic just finally tested to be in ketosis, nearly 8 weeks after starting at a hard 20 total carbs daily. She had some glucose improvements before that, but no measurable weight loss... Her body had to start healing before anything else.. I'm curious to see how long before she starts dropping weight...
  • suuufiii
    suuufiii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting.
    1. I only have high blood pressure. So, I'm sure my body is working on that as well.
    2. I do Orange Theory workouts. I usually burn between 500-600 calories in my class. I get in 2 walks a day about 15 minutes. Not sure where they are getting 1000 from, but I don't eat back workout calories.
    3. My clothes aren't fitting any different :neutral:
    4. I believe my body is doing exactly what KnitorMiss says it's doing. This time I just need to stay the course longer and STRONGER
    5. Just started the mag and poss supplements this week

That night after posting this, I literally went to the bathroom every 2 hours all night. And the next day it was more of this. I hadn't consumed any more water than I normally do. I got on the scale (I know, I'm SMH as well), but I am down the 5 plus 2.7 more. And I am down.5 for my fat percent (My scale does, weight fat and water) So, this has really put the fire in my engine to keep going. I have a cousin in town for L.A. we usually get together for a few happy hours or brunches. I told him yesterday that I would just come to my aunts and hang for a few hours, no drinking. I got to stick to my plan and others are not a priority. Thanks everyone who took the time to respond to me. I appreciate it, more than you know.

Awesome!
  • suuufiii
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ok! I need to talk to someone!
    I have been in ketogenic diet for more than 3 weeks. I started at 235 and went down to 222.5 in about 10 days. Suddenly it stopped and my weight started going up! In one day it went up to 227 and then again came back to 222.5. And now I am gaining weight. Almost 1 pound a day!!! I get about 1200 to 1400 calories a day, more on the 1200 side. I take vegetables. I measure accurately and definitely take less than 30g of carbs. 20% protein and 70% fat. I am 5' 6" and female. I don't exercise. In addition, I do 23/1 fasting as well. I keep hydrated and consume enough electrolytes. I also use urine test stripes everyday and they show that I am in ketosis. Usually around 1.5. I alao make sure that I weigh myself in the same condition everyday.
    Anyway, it's been 10 days that it's like this, and it's getting very annoying. Staying on this weight and now even gaining weight is just so so so unfair. I am really disappointed and so sad! What am I doing wrong? Please someone help me. I really need some information to know what to do.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    If you are trying to burn body fat, then you don't need to consume as much dietary fat, try increasing protein to 40-50% and reducing fat intake.

Also, not sure if you are consuming artificial sweeteners, but for some people those trigger an insulin response.

If you want more specific recommendations it would help if you made your food diary public.
  • suuufiii
    Options
    If you are trying to burn body fat, then you don't need to consume as much dietary fat, try increasing protein to 40-50% and reducing fat intake.

Also, not sure if you are consuming artificial sweeteners, but for some people those trigger an insulin response.

If you want more specific recommendations it would help if you made your food diary public.

Thank you very much for your reply.
    I have read that on the net as well, but I also read thag if I take too much protein, it converts to gluconate in the body and eventually kick me out of ketosis. This becomes probably worse, considering I eat just 1 meal and taking that much protein might be too much in one meal. The reason that I am hesitant to create a bigger window is that this 23/1 fast has helped me a lot in quitting binging completely. It's so much easier not to eat at all.
    I did not use any artificial sweeteners, except pure stevia. I did stop it the day before yesterday though.

I guess if I want to increase my protein intake, I should stretch my eating window. Maybe around 3 hours. Having one meal at the beggining and one at the end. I try increasing my protein intake and s3e how it works. Thank you for your insight.
  • mollyr6617
    mollyr6617 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just starting keto and I believe I have my macros set correctly. But I’ve seriously only ate breakfast which was eggs bacon small side of spinach and a tablespoon of feta cheese and it’s showing I’m already over my % on my macros??? I’m so confused as I believe these foods are acceptable. Can anyone help me?
  • kpk54
    Options
    mollyr6617 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Just starting keto and I believe I have my macros set correctly. But I’ve seriously only ate breakfast which was eggs bacon small side of spinach and a tablespoon of feta cheese and it’s showing I’m already over my % on my macros??? I’m so confused as I believe these foods are acceptable. Can anyone help me?

The foods you ate are considered appropriate on keto. Perhaps if you opened your food diary someone could offer some insight/assistance. You'd have to eat a lot of bacon and eggs with that small side of spinach and tbsp of feta to be over on your numbers.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    mollyr6617 wrote: »

I would be suspicious of the MFP entries that you used if you are over on carbs with this meal unless you are having maple soaked bacon or sugar coated spinach.

I have found some of the existing entries to be WAY OFF...I try to find matching brand names when possible, or create my own entries if I can't find something that matches the labeling, or use USDA entries for basic foods.