Funny Story about micros

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
I'm new to the game but I monitor micros along with macros.

I try to approach Keto as healthfully as possible. (ie I don't let it give me license to snap into a slim Jim) All these years of dieting I have had such a hard time meeting my micros.

Last night I checked and I was at 75% or better with calcium (thx cheese) Iron, Vit A, and believe it or not Vitamin C! (tomatoes and tomato basil soup!)

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin. Does that count?
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You made me curious so went and checked mine. Am close or over across the board except iron @ 71% which seams odd and potassium @ 75% which I always track and am often low on despite taking a supplement. If I take more potassium my stomach gets upset unless I am doing an endurance ride. Found the iron weird.
  • kwalton65
    kwalton65 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have found that taking vitamin supplements was the easiest way to avoid countless micro tracking. Kind of the set it and forget it approach.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Shron123 wrote: »
    You made me curious so went and checked mine. Am close or over across the board except iron @ 71% which seams odd and potassium @ 75% which I always track and am often low on despite taking a supplement. If I take more potassium my stomach gets upset unless I am doing an endurance ride. Found the iron weird.

It is important to note that currently potassium is not included on food labels in the US. Therefore, if you are in the US, you may be consuming more potassium that you realize. In addition, US food labels will be changed this year effective July 26th for major manufacturers and a year later for small businesses. Thus, your tracking should become more reflective of your actual intake over the next year and a half.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also check micronutrients, but allow for a pretty big margin of error in MFP food data.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Shron123 wrote: »

It is important to note that currently potassium is not included on food labels in the US. Therefore, if you are in the US, you may be consuming more potassium that you realize. In addition, US food labels will be changed this year effective July 26th for major manufacturers and a year later for small businesses. Thus, your tracking should become more reflective of your actual intake over the next year and a half.

^^^ this - most low-carbers are getting way more potassium than they think because most meats are fairly high in potassium.

For example:

Chicken breast - 100 grams contains almost 300mg
    Chicken thighs (dark meat) - 100 grams has 240mg
    Ground beef (80/20) - 100 grams has 269mg
    Bacon (yeah!!!!) - 100 grams has 499mg

All of these came from the USDA database, so I think they are fairly accurate.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Where do I go to check my macros?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ptrcmcc6 wrote: »
    Where do I go to check my macros?

Carbs fats and protein are macros and should show on your food diary as the MFP defaults. The MFP default percentages are 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein. Most low carbers choose less than 50% carbs. You can change the percentages to what you want in "goals" in MFP. The 3 just have to add up to 100%. The percentages auto change the grams for each macro. Unless you have the paid version of mfp your option is only 5% increments. Just alter the percentages in increments of 5% to reflect close to the number of grams you want (or the percentages you want).

Hope that is what you were asking. If not, clarify and someone will help.