Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    RATSMITH69 wrote: »
    I count because I'm an OCD control freak, but it doesn't change what I eat...

So you don't restrict? That is what I would consider "not counting" but instead call "logging." Perhaps the first thing for each thread should be to define what exactly I mean by counting.
    • Counting is conscious restriction of calories to a pre-defined range.
    • Not counting would be eating until satisfied or satiated, regardless of how high/low any specific day would be in calories.

Does this change anyone's reasons for counting? I did notice a lot of people said they just like a log or data. I have logged before, without what I consider counting. I'd eat as much/little as I felt like.

It doesn't change mine. When I don't count and restrict, and specifically, don't measure, I gain. Counting, restricting and measuring are what enable me to lose what I gained over those few years.

Same here. Ive been maintaining the last almost four months or so because I have logged but let myself eat what I wanted as long as it was low carb. Havent lost anything and actually gained four pounds or so but stayed steady around that four pound mark.

Late last week I went back to trying to restrict to see if I can start losing again. Lost those four pounds by this morning so going to see if i can lose some more but that means restricting for me.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hhhhmmm! Seems like calories do count if I want to lose more weight. :\
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    Hhhhmmm! Seems like calories do count if I want to lose more weight. :\

Calories do count, but you might not need to count them. It depends on what you're eating and how in tune with your hunger signals you are.
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Today, I logged my intended meal plan. I came up with 988 calories total; which seems a bit on the low side for someone my height (5'9") and weight (278.8lbs). I'm counting so I can keep better track, to fight against my thought process of "less is better". I've modified, and I've still got some wiggle room calorie wise today, so if I feel the need I know I can eat a bit more.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Trying to accurately count/guesstimate calories may have a rather wide margin of error.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10412095/gastropod-the-end-of-the-calorie

But I'll bet if calories had just been discovered, everyone would want to count them. Worst case, calories are another fuzzy metric, so why go to pains to ignore them? But counting them in order to help decide whether (or not) you've had enough (too much) seems at least as good as the alternatives, such as:
    • Measuring food volume (cubic angstroms/yards);
    • Relying on feeling of satiety - this assumes your assessment is more consistent from day to day than the pain scale and you have no issues with hunger/satiety hormones or addictive cravings interfering.
    • Relying on your lying, cheating scale :s

No reason CICO, as oversimplified as it's often presented, can't be incorporated in the broader hormonal theory of metabolism.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/39119329
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Agree with @DietPrada. There is a lot of diabetes in my family (thankfully not me) and after years of yo-yo dieting with low fat low calories vs low carb I know I am super carb sensitive. LCHF has been a life saver for me. I lost about 30 lbs since last summer on 1700-1800 calories per day. Then I just stopped losing although nothing changed. Recently changed my calorie allotment to 1600 and dropped 5 lbs in 4 days. When I first started this WOE I only tracked carbs. Felt amazing after a couple of weeks but after the first week of water loss didn’t lose a pound. Checked my calories and I was eating over 2000 per day. Interestingly enuf, didn’t gain any weight either. There is a lot more involved in healthy eating that CICO but calories do matter ..... at least for me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Shron123 wrote: »
    Agree with @DietPrada. There is a lot of diabetes in my family (thankfully not me) and after years of yo-yo dieting with low fat low calories vs low carb I know I am super carb sensitive. LCHF has been a life saver for me. I lost about 30 lbs since last summer on 1700-1800 calories per day. Then I just stopped losing although nothing changed. Recently changed my calorie allotment to 1600 and dropped 5 lbs in 4 days. When I first started this WOE I only tracked carbs. Felt amazing after a couple of weeks but after the first week of water loss didn’t lose a pound. Checked my calories and I was eating over 2000 per day. Interestingly enuf, didn’t gain any weight either. There is a lot more involved in healthy eating that CICO but calories do matter ..... at least for me.

Stalling out big time only counting carbs is exactly why I came to MFP in 2014. Only when I started counting calories as well did I move beyond 30lb loss and eventually make it to 90.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    Way back in 1958 when I was 25years old with a new baby & a 2½ year old, I first ate low carb. I did not count calories and the weight just dropped off me. Huh, I wonder why?! :wink:

Now I am 84 years old with arthritis and pretty immobile. Believe me, I have to count calories! What's more, I enjoy tracking, both my calories and my weight. I must admit that when I first joined mfp I only counted calories and the majority of them would be in carbs but thinking sensibly, I know low carb eating is healthier.

Hi there, just a thought from what I've read re low carb and Keto, but they are supposed to help with inflammation of the joints so maybe it would be good for your arthritis. <3
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I hope so chinatowninchina, the NHS is on it's knees so I'd rather not bother it for new hips and one knee. If I'd stayed low carb from 1958 until now, I may not have needed them... :(:)

• Princesstri
    Princesstri Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    As other people have said, for me it’s also about learning portion size. I’ve always eaten healthy foods. Lots and lots of them, lol. Now, I’m figuring out what a six ounce piece of fish is and its macros and calories.
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very interesting posts here.

Right in the beginning, @FIT_Goat mentioned about compiling all the reasons that people posted for counting calories. Is there a thread on this now?

FWIW, I don’t count calories. I still log but will eat to satiety.
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    I hope so chinatowninchina, the NHS is on it's knees so I'd rather not bother it for new hips and one knee. If I'd stayed low carb from 1958 until now, I may not have needed them... :(:)

Hey MissyCHF, NHS? you must be in the UK, so am I. Chester. You?
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Northumberland. I have been only once to Chester, many years ago and very much enjoyed our stay.

• chinatowninchina
    Options

Northumberland. I have been only once to Chester, many years ago and very much enjoyed our stay.

Northumberland also beautiful! <3
  • paleonan75
    paleonan75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 35kg on low carb, but lots of it crept back over 4 years. I still ate cleaner than most people i know, but just too much it seems (too much creamy coffee and delicious fat bombs didn’t help!) I started tracking my calories while still eating lchf and have lost 5kg in the first 3 weeks of this. So yes, count and measure if it helps you!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I did very well maintaining without counting calories, but in order to lose weight I seem to have to stay in a specific range. However, I almost wonder if the counting actually causes me to be more honest tracking and that is actually helping more than the actual amount of the calories.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    People instinctively want to "relax" when it comes to diets and allow themselves to be more "open" with what they eat, how much, and not have to "worry" about it.....

That isn't a real thing! The truth is it doesn't matter what kind of diet you are on...you can be on the celery only diet and if you eat a 500 calorie surplus of celery past your TDEE you will gain 1 lb a week....

Keto is no different...keto helps because the satiety effect of consuming more fat/protein over carbs allows "most" people to go longer periods without a mental breakdown to consume more food.

People who claim otherwise are simply pushing a myth that without counting it is easy to stay in a deficit...people will instinctively sway to more food over time (not all, but most people).

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For myself, I can maintain doing Keto and not counting. To lose, I must do LCHF and count!