Lily’s baking chips

Options
grammargeek
grammargeek Posts: 12 Member
I was in the health food store yesterday looking for a good 100% dark chocolate baking bar and came across a bag of Lily’s chips, 55% cocoa and sweetened with stevia. Does anyone have a recommendation or admonition for this while trying to stay in ketosis?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I use them here and there and haven't had any issues. They have erythritol and stevia so the net carbs are low. I've made low carb blondies with them, some low carb chocolate chip cookies, and I sometimes throw them in my not as low carb paleo waffle mix.
  • grammargeek
    grammargeek Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I believe @River_Goddess mentions Lily's sweetened with stevia in some of her posts and I think she also strives for ketosis. I'm just drawing her attention to the thread so y'all can discuss if applicable to her.

I've not tried them. I will confess to having eaten an entire bag of chocolate chips one day (back in 2015) having to go back to the store and purchase another in order to bake the cookies I was wanting to bake. :/ In fact, I have shared on the forum before about standing in the store, fondling a bag of chocolate chips as my devil sat on one shoulder and my angel on the other. Kudos to those who can moderate something as delicious as chocolate chips.

Woe, is me.

fwmsjql2ohz9.jpg

That is hilarious! That was actually one concern I had about buying them. I want them to taste good, but I don't want them to trigger a binge session. That's one thing I've loved about keto so far, absolutely no compulsion to binge at all. Granted, I'm only a week in, but I'm loving it thus far.
  • sense_and_sarcasm
    Options
    I eat them occasionally. They're tasty.

I find the chocolate chips are far cheaper for my (occasional) use than buying a Lily's chocolate bar. With the chocolate bars, it seems once I open one it's gone pretty quickly.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet has some good recipes for making your own chocolate bars and chunks (I can't recall if she's the one with a tray that makes "chips," too or not)...good but not too sweet...

I think I saw somewhere someone melting 100% dark chocolate with coconut oil and a little sweetener, spreading it thin on wax paper, then breaking into usable pieces.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @ladipoet has some good recipes for making your own chocolate bars and chunks (I can't recall if she's the one with a tray that makes "chips," too or not)...good but not too sweet...

Yeppers, @KnitOrMiss... I do indeed have a couple of different kinds of silicon trays that make chocolate chip shapes. I like Lily's and used to buy and eat them...I just don't like the fact that they contain unfermented soy so I no longer use them (shrug). I have found, unfortunately, that most low carb chocolate contains unfermented soy so I usually resort to making my own. It's also possible to use silicon trivets to make chocolate chunks (little square shapes) if you don't mind the fact that your "chocolate chips" aren't in the traditional shape. Fwiw, the silicon trivets are easier and quicker to fill and they are also a lot easier to get the chips out of too once hardened up in the freezer.

Here a link to one I recently got from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073BYHFV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only used this one once and so far haven't been impressed with it because the chips were really difficult to get out once frozen. Then again, I used it for butterscotch chips and not chocolate chips so maybe the different in ingredients as opposed to "chocolate chips" played a part in it.

Here a link to the other kind I have (they have 3 different choices as to the amount the mold will make - 2 regular sized chips and 1 mini sized chips):

https://www.vanyulay.com/product/silicone-molds/chocolate-chip-embeds-187-cavity-silicone-mold-6030/

https://www.vanyulay.com/product/silicone-molds/chocolate-chip-regular-embeds-64-cavity-silicone-mold-5066/

https://www.vanyulay.com/product/silicone-molds/chocolate-chip-mini-mini-embeds-169-cavity-silicone-mold-940/

The Van Yulay mold that I have is much easier to get the chips out of than the one I ordered from amazon, but it's a hand made mold so they chips aren't always the same size or shape (shrug). What I don't like about this particular mold is the kind of silicon it's made out of. It can be somewhat "sticky-feeling" to the touch which I find off-putting.

Here's the link to the silicon trivets that I sometimes use too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VSXPVRL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like these ones because they are so easy to use even though they weren't initially designed to be used as I'm using them. The only thing that would make them better would be if they made them with cavities that were a little deeper.

When I don't feel like making chocolate chips (I use my homemade ones in things that don't have to be baked are are stored cold in the refrigerator or freezer) I usually use a 50/50 combination of Guittard brand 63% chips and Pascha brand 85% chips. I find this 50/50 combination works well in things I have to bake in the oven. Both do contain sugar, but very small amounts of it. I think I recently saw a low carb chocolate chip in the 70-75% range that did not contain unfermented soy but I just don't remember the name of the company. So if any of you know what brand that might be, please link to it...I would appreciate that!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love Lily's, I went through periods where I'd eat half a bar a day... I stayed in ketosis no problem. I've eaten a whole bar here and there and been fine, too. I like the chocolate chips because I can eat 2-3 chips, just enough for the flavour, and be done, where I'll eat most of a bar at once.
    :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I just ordered their 11 bar sample kit. I am really looking forward to trying and love the ingredient label - very clean! Thanks!!!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet and others: https://purelovechocolate.com/

BOOOOO they don't ship to Canada!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh ...thanks for the link. Appreciate it!! <3
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Maybe all Canadian Keto-ers can get a petition together and ask them to SHIP HERE, dammit!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Maybe all Canadian Keto-ers can get a petition together and ask them to SHIP HERE, dammit!

Can you get ChocZero up in the Great White North? I just ran across them yesterday and they also have a very clean label and super low carb as they add in corn fiber. I want to try their Maple Pecan Pancake Syrup, but I'm scared I may get on a slippery slope that leads me into a huge pile of white processed sugar!
  • canadjineh
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Looks interesting @carlsoda.... I wonder what the purpose of the added corn fibre is? Is it just in there to 'lower' the net carb count? At least it's non GMO corn.
    Just read their FAQ.... nope they don't ship outside of the US.
  • PattiBE
    PattiBE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Boo, I was really excited about PureLove but no shipping to Canada. Gonna have to make do with Lily’s.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    OK I got my PureLove chocolate and the reason I decided to try it is that it has no inulin in it. Me and inulin just don't like each other. So I had a serving size of the dark chocolate coconut bar last night(3 pieces) which is 77 calories and just over 1 carb for all three. Oh my goodness it is intense. It's very dark and not overly sweet. So my first piece I ate it like regular sugary milk chocolate - fast and was very bitter. For the next two pieces I savored them slowly to let the tastes develop. Yeah, now I like it much better :) I am looking forward to trying all the bars in my sample pack! My cat was also pretty excited when it came, she wouldn't leave the mail alone :) (and no she did not get any!!)

One other difference between this chocolate and regular milk chocolate, you are never satisfied with sugary milk chocolate, I know I could keep eating and eating and eating. I was utterly satisfied with the 3 pieces last night!