When Sugar Drops

Options
I have done this way of eating for a while but I’m prone to sometimes my sugar dropping. What are some good suggestions for those out there that have low blood sugar or when their sugar drops to have that won’t kick you out of ketosis?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I used to use coconut oil when my sugar would drop. Nut butters might be another good option.
  • xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    A few blackberries or raspberries might do the trick?
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    Good idea thank you.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try higher protein meals. It will give the insulin something else to work on besides clearing too much glucose from the blood.
    If you must correct a low, like under 60, I’d use something that’s pure glucose and dose very small amounts as needed just to get back to around 80. Your liver should be able to secrete glycogen to correct the low on its own but if it’s not fast enough the tiny doses of glucose should help and probably won’t affect ketosis under those circumstances.
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    I pretty much only eat protein. Maybe that’s the problem. Also restarted so I could’ve had a tad of keto flu I believe as well
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I pretty much only eat protein. Maybe that’s the problem. Also restarted so I could’ve had a tad of keto flu I believe as well

If that’s the case it’s probably just the adjusting back to low carb.
    When you say sugar is dropping. What does it drop to?
  • xosummerrainxo
    Options
    It’s honestly just the feeling of being off, dizzy. So I assumed it was sugar since my blood sugar runs low normally. I was finding myself reaching for gum or sugar-free candy or caffeine anything to get rid of the feeling. It’s been a few days and better now
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It’s honestly just the feeling of being off, dizzy. So I assumed it was sugar since my blood sugar runs low normally. I was finding myself reaching for gum or sugar-free candy or caffeine anything to get rid of the feeling. It’s been a few days and better now

When I get that feeling, I up my salt intake (because low unbalanced electrolytes) but so far as I know my blood sugar does not run low normally. Your remedy for "low blood sugar" seems unusual to me. Sugar free gum, sugar free candy, caffeine help low blood sugar? What say the diabetics in the forum? I thought y'all ate something like a Smartie or two or a few sections of an orange to get a hit of sugar?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It’s likely low sodium making you feel that way. Are you supplementing?