How low is low carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started at total carbs but when I went to 30 carbs, I got, well ahm, to put it bluntly, constipated. So, I count net carbs now at 20 grams a day and things go fine. I know some people here don't eat vegetables but I can't. I have to have at least one serving of raw vegetables and 2 servings of another vegetable just to keep things, well, moving.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So, you don’t eat any veggies all week? A cup of kale has 6 grams of carbs5 net. And what kind of workouts do you do during the week? I’m just curious as my problem is balancing carbs/hunger/cravings and some of my training fitness goals. I’m a mountain biker and I never got the nutrition right to do some of the long distance races I tried to do. Bonked, felt sick, etc.

I'll tag this to @donharkrn since I think that was who you were asking since he mentioned he avoids all carbs during the week then carbs up for his workouts. That was it is less likely to get unnoticed in pages of threads.
  • lindatcross1949
    lindatcross1949 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For those of you with carb grams around 50, what are fat and protein proportions?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For those of you with carb grams around 50, what are fat and protein proportions?

I eat about 50 grams of carbs per day. And about 100 grams each of protein and fat.

My percentages in MFP for my 1500 calories per day are CURRENTLY 15% carbs (56 grams), 30% protein (113 grams, 55% fat (92 grams). I've been at goal/maintenance for a few years.

All I really focus on is
    1) not eating what I consider junk
    2) keeping carbs around 50 and
    3) calories around 1500.

The protein and fat work themselves out because of the way I naturally eat, I suppose. I've not been tracking since January 1, 2018 though I'll probably start up again because I like to track. Throughout 2017 when I did track, the weekly nutrition page on the app reflects I was about 10-15% carbs, 20-30% protein, 50-70% fat in any given week.

I eat all things that most people would consider "whole foods". I didn't get fat eating broccoli or even sweet potatoes. I got fat overeating all the highly palatable sweet/salty/fatty combo things...and sitting on my butt too much. I don't do well with sweet/salty/fatty combos of even the keto friendly stuff be it pork rinds or keto cheesecake.

May not apply to anyone else.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now so I keep the total carbs in the 40-60 gram range. When I was trying to lose, I stayed in the 20-30 net grams range. I always counted the veggies' net carbs. I aim for nutritional ketosis even in maintenance.
  • physio52
    physio52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    Thanks chinatowninchina, There is a lot of UK brands on mfp but many are out of date. I do tend to check what mfp says, if I'm buying, say - from Tesco, I usually go onto the Tesco site to compare data, if I can't find what I'm using with the correct data on mfp, I update one that is there and date it. Tedious but worth it & being an old bod' I have the time. :smile:
    I have found it useful to use the barcode reader in the food diary. I had to have it pointed out to me by my son in law! It saves having to input values individually
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    physio52, I'm afraid you've lost me there, I can't see a barcode reader.