Test Report on 18 Blood Glucose Meters

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
https://www.diabetestechnology.org/surveillance.shtml

The majority received an unsatisfactory rating.

Of the 2 Walmart Relion models, 1 passed (Relion Confirm) and 1 failed (Relion Prime).

The top score went to Bayer's Contour Next (but the previous model, Contour, failed).

@cstehansen @2t9nty @MyriiStorm @nvmomketo @baconslave

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have the verio One touch - failed. Barely. Hmph.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I will go take a look at this. Thanks!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks @RalfLott

Like other studies, it is important to note the %. For instance, Freestyle shows higher than the Relion Prime. However, the Freestyles I had gave me a very false sense of optimism as both of them indicated my A1c should have been a full point or more lower than it was, and when testing with it before my blood draw, it was way off from what the official lab results.

On the other hand, the Relions I have (have 3 and use 2 regularly) when tested against both my A1c and the fasting BG results from the lab have been spot on. The last draw, by Relion showed 107 about 20 minutes before. The official was 106, and the Relion about 20 minutes after was 105.

The Freestyle on the other hand would give me numbers around 88-92, when Relion was giving me 105.

I guess I got part of the 4% failure of Freestyle and part of the 92% accurate Relion.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'm a less concerned with absolute accuracy, given the idiosyncrasies of both test-at-home and laboratory tests, and more worried about consistency within a meter's own readings.

(Of course, with significant margins of error, that may be half pipe-dream as well...)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have the verio One touch - failed. Barely. Hmph.

Same here. At least it wasn't bottom of the heap.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Contour next is the kind we have. Got turned onto that brand when my daughter got her insulin pump. I had to apply to get the strips covered by insurance though...
  • kailee56
    kailee56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gotta laugh! I have 3 meters and none are exactly on the list.
    My FreeStyle is the Optium Neo, which I bought from Australia, initially to check ketones though since diagnosis I use it for CBG also.
    My Accu-Chek is the Guide, which I absolutely love. Joined their program for out of pocket strips. 300 for $70 or less than 25 cents/strip.
    My odd ball is the Keto-Mojo. I bought that because the Keto strips are relatively cheap. I’ve Had some CBG discrepancies with it and when I contacted the manufacturer, sort of a FYI note, they sent a pile of info and research saying why their CBG was accurate. It was 40 higher than the other meters!

The real joke is that which ever agency/department monitors the monitors has such lax standards. Had first appt with Endo today. Of course I brought all 3 meters and she used a fourth. She said as long as they were within 20mg/dL of each other they were considered accurate. I’m sorry, but a difference of 20 mg/dL is way to much as far as I’m concerned. I’m really starting to feel that diabetics are lthe step-child of the health care world. I’ve read that, but now I feel it.

• RalfLott
    Options
    I'm in a trial period for a Dexcom CGM. The Contour Next EZ glucometers I use are always close to each other (unless the battery's about to croak) and to the lab I use, but they have sometimes been up to 25 points at variance with the CGM.

The margin of error I was given for the CGM was 20%... :o
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is timely as my insurance just raised the copay on my OneTouch Ultra supplies. I've been checking into the Relion brand and considering paying out of pocket because its cheaper than the copay, by a significant difference. I've noticed that the OneTouch tests a few points higher than the labs so I'm not expecting 100% accuracy, just the overall trend.