Winter 2018 - Week 3 - Share A Beauty Secret...or Two

Options
SmithsonianEmpress
SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
Hi ladies! We all know the importance of skin care, the good feeling of healthy hair and the application of make-up and how these things add to our natural beauty :#

What’s a face regimen you do to keep your skin clear? Or something fun you do with you makeup? How do you grow your hair, apply mascara for longer lashes, fix chipped nail polish, get curly hair straight, get straight hair curl, combat split ends...? I think y’all get the point.

Post here if you have any questions, pointers or plain old good advice.

Let us know something that makes you feel good about yourself and gives you a glow!

Replies

• bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have really dry and sensitive skin, so I try to use natural products whenever possible. My skincare routine is entirely SW Basics (their products are all natural and all 5 ingredients or fewer!) and it has been such a game changer.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I also have super dry and sensitive skin. I also have a hard time keeping my eyelashes! I have found that as long as I wash my face religiously every morning AND night (I use Mary Kay Botanicals line), my skin stays pretty good. Removing makeup from my eyes at night has been great for preserving my eyelashes. They're the longest they have been in a long time, just from that!
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I started using fish oil and it's helped my skin a lot. It basically healed my dry hands a few months back, so much they were cracking and burned. I was in awe when my hands started healing like 3 days after I started the supplement.
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I hardly use make up ... only if I have like a fancy night event that I need to dress up so I will apply a a bit of mascara ... my lashes are long, so if I am wearing glasses is actually uncomfortable because they touch the lense :D ... so make up not my area to give advice at all!

What I do use daily is mosturizer if not my skin feels like cardboard and at nigt a repair serum from Estée Lauder ... a bit pricey but it last several months and I like how my skin feels / looks.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to get into a better skin care routine but one thing I LOVE using is sheet masks! My sister in law got me into them and when she visted my brother in South Korea (which is basically skin care/make up mecca) she sent me a box full of amazing Korean sheet masks. I always feel so pampered after using one and they have definitely helped with my dry skin this winter.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »
    I definitely need to get into a better skin care routine but one thing I LOVE using is sheet masks! My sister in law got me into them and when she visted my brother in South Korea (which is basically skin care/make up mecca) she sent me a box full of amazing Korean sheet masks. I always feel so pampered after using one and they have definitely helped with my dry skin this winter.

What are sheet masks for?
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I have oily skin with frequent breakouts. Can anyone recommend anything?
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I don't know if they really do anything (at least for me), but they give you a spa feeling! I love masks as I bought some like 2 years ago at Japantown where I live for cheap. I've ordered them through Meme Box too. https://us.memebox.com/category/519/sheet-masks
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    There are several types of sheet masks ... some are moisturizers, other to tighten skin, reduce pores, brighten skin, etc ... as with everything, some brands might work better than others.

I think Sephora sells them at a reasonable price or most likely you could get them at Amazon to try them out without braking the piggy bank ;)
  • happygirlxxx
    Options

I wish I could provide you some good advise but my skin is actually the opposite... horribly dry :/

I guess for oily skin the best if to be really strict with keeping it clean so your pores don’t clog; however you need to be careful not to dehydrate it (ie, do not exfoliate every day ... just once or twice a week max); use a moisturizer and cleansers that are designed for oily skin specifically (I think Estée Lauder had one ... but I am sure there are many you can find); make up also oil free or powder minerals, etc maybe even one of those Korean sheet masks! :)

I think the key with oily skin is not to over do it because if you dehydrate it then to balance it maybe the skin will produce even more oil.
  • nvasquez41
    nvasquez41 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I really like these vitamins from Zhou Nutrition called hairfluence, I had been noticing in the shower that my hair was getting thinner when it was wet (I have super curly hair when it's dry so I'm not able to really tell then) but after a month of taking those pills I noticed that my hair had grown and seemed thicker. I've also been using a face oil instead of a moisturizer and I really love the dewy look it gives my skin.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options

They're for your face. They make you look pretty weird while they're on but they're worth it.

I also have oily skin and I like using a clay mask, this one is my favorite but I found it at the grocery store for way cheaper. I think clay is supposed to help with the oil, there are tons of clay masks on amazon!

https://smile.amazon.com/St-Ives-Mineral-Firming-Mask-6/dp/B009FPOPXO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516207781&sr=8-1&keywords=st+ives+clay+mask
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

They're for your face. They make you look pretty weird while they're on but they're worth it.

I also have oily skin and I like using a clay mask, this one is my favorite but I found it at the grocery store for way cheaper. I think clay is supposed to help with the oil, there are tons of clay masks on amazon!

https://smile.amazon.com/St-Ives-Mineral-Firming-Mask-6/dp/B009FPOPXO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1516207781&sr=8-1&keywords=st+ives+clay+mask

Thank you very much!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

I wish I could provide you some good advise but my skin is actually the opposite... horribly dry :/

I guess for oily skin the best if to be really strict with keeping it clean so your pores don’t clog; however you need to be careful not to dehydrate it (ie, do not exfoliate every day ... just once or twice a week max); use a moisturizer and cleansers that are designed for oily skin specifically (I think Estée Lauder had one ... but I am sure there are many you can find); make up also oil free or powder minerals, etc maybe even one of those Korean sheet masks! :)

I think the key with oily skin is not to over do it because if you dehydrate it then to balance it maybe the skin will produce even more oil.

I definitely have been overdrying my face but that leads to it being more oily. I am getting ready to try some dermalogica samples and see where that goes.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Many people with oily skin forget it's still important to moisturize. Just be sure to look for a moisturizer designed for oily skin :smile:
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    @SmithsonianEmpress Jojoba oil! The name is misleading because it is actually a liquid wax. It is noncomedogenic (won’t clog pores) and works as a gentle moisturizer, but also helps fight excess oil production - plus is fights bacteria to help with acne!

Just make sure you get it from somewhere reputable, organic with no additives. You only need a few drops :)
  • YAJ3507
    YAJ3507 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a fun topic! I am militant about washing and moisturizing my face every morning and night. I think whatever you do, consistency is key. I actually just use good old Trader Joe's face moisturizer and face wash! Awhile back I started using Argan Oil - just a little bit in the morning and evening. My skin feels so supple! I also use a dab of eye cream.
  • YAJ3507
    Options
    Also - about a year and a half ago I joined Ipsy (a subscription makeup service). I was never adventurous with makeup and never knew what to buy. This has been great! I get a lot of stuff I would never buy and looks amazing. It also includes skin care, hair products, and brushes (among other things).
  • YAJ3507
    Options
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening nails? Mine are terrible - if I polish them at home they get dry and start peeling. This is a thousand times worse if I get a professional manicure. It takes forever for them to get back to normal.
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    jyoung3507 wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips for strengthening nails? Mine are terrible - if I polish them at home they get dry and start peeling. This is a thousand times worse if I get a professional manicure. It takes forever for them to get back to normal.

I take Biotin and Collagen supplements. When I take the biotin consistently, after about 3 months my nails are visibly thicker.
This discussion has been closed.